Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 03:09 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Learning English is not as big a priority as religion or sex ed in the schools.
My son had to have 4 years of English mandatory to graduate high school, and foreign language credits (gained in High school) to graduate college. If we are making native English speaking folks learn two languages... why can't we make native Spanish folks be required English as well? What with all this "fair" talk we keep hearing.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 03:15 PM

19,844 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
No connection. Schwartzkopf's father wasn't a military officer either. He was a private citizen, a former head of the NJ State Police, working in Iran to set up the Shah's secret police.
Actually, his father was stationed in Iran. Still curious why you picked these two to compare to Ms. Cabrera's situation.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:17 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Which Hispanic lobbying groups would that be?
La Raza?

AUL YZAGUIRRE, president of the National Council of La Raza, minces no words: "U.S. English is to Hispanics as the Ku Klux Klan is to blacks."

Old 01-27-2012, 04:17 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
First of all, there is more than one organization that calls itself La Raza.

Ms. Malkin is referring to the National Council of La Raza. They interpret "La Raza" as meaning "the people" NOT "the race". Two TOTALLY different things and concepts. (Though I highly douby Ms Malkin knows enough about the history of the hispanic/Chicano rights movementi in this country to know the difference.)

The People. As in "We The People". Get it?

The National Council of La Raza is NOT a hate group.

BTW: "Chicano" means Mexican-American. A Chicano is a citizen of this country with all of the rights of being a citizen.
Yes they are. Go read the article I linked to. La Raza is a racist ethnic lobbying hate group determined to pick the pocket of the American public to finance their racial agenda. All they care about is their "raza." Nothing else matters to them. The rights of a citizen including demonstrating that you are fluent in our common language unless you have a disability. Unfortunately too many hispanic lobbying groups don't care about making sure their communities master English. Instead it's all about what Americans can do for Latin Americans here and in the rest of the world even such policies hurt our own citizenry.

This woman is the perfect example of the problem. How the hell did she pass a single English test in high school? Let alone graduate with a diploma?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Study after study shows you are wrong. Conservatives love to ignore academic research when it doesn't suit their agenda, so I suppose I should not be surprised by your statement.
I'm not a conservative. I've never voted for a Republican in my life. Immigration should frankly be a liberal issue and liberals should be against it unless under very specific and controlled circumstances as it hurts our own poor people. It doesn't help the middle class very much either as we pay increased taxes to support the kind of impoverished, low skilled migrants idiotically favored by my fellow leftists.

If bilingual education works so well why do Hispanics (the primary beneficiaries of this failed idea) do so poorly academically?

It's certainly failed this woman. She doesn't speak English with any degree of fluency at all.

Quote:
The Hispanic hate group? Really? Name something La Raza has done that is hateful.
Read the article I linked to. La Raza is a hate filled organization with serious ties to even more hateful groups.

Quote:
You use the words of an anchor baby to support your point?

That's just rich!
Aren't you the slightest bit disturbed that someone managed to get an American high school diploma without learning any English?

This is ridiculous. Suppose she demonstrated she couldn't do math either? Would you simply shrug? What kind of country do we live in where you can get an American high school diploma when you lack even the most basic skills?

Old 01-27-2012, 04:52 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,199,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
La Raza?

AUL YZAGUIRRE, president of the National Council of La Raza, minces no words: "U.S. English is to Hispanics as the Ku Klux Klan is to blacks."
Those Reconquista loonies view the southwest as some kind of "Hispanic Sudetenland" that they want to hand back to Mexico.:-(

Old 01-27-2012, 05:11 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Yes they are. Go read the article I linked to.

Read the article I linked to. La Raza is a hate filled organization with serious ties to even more hateful groups.
Hateful groups like the National Council of Churches? I'm thinking you have your La Raza groups mixed up. Seriously. NCLR is an advocacy group that's financed by dangerous groups like Walmart.

You may be thinking of La Raza Unida. Please do not confuse the two. They are two ENTIRELY different organizations with different goals.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:12 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
My son had to have 4 years of English mandatory to graduate high school, and foreign language credits (gained in High school) to graduate college. If we are making native English speaking folks learn two languages... why can't we make native Spanish folks be required English as well? What with all this "fair" talk we keep hearing.....
We do. This is why the dropout rate amongst Hispanic children whose first language (along with their parents) have some of the highest dropout rates in the country.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:15 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Quote:
Aren't you the slightest bit disturbed that someone managed to get an American high school diploma without learning any English?

This is ridiculous. Suppose she demonstrated she couldn't do math either? Would you simply shrug? What kind of country do we live in where you can get an American high school diploma when you lack even the most basic skills?
Education is a local issue and is to serve the needs of the local population.

The town she is in is on the border of Mexico. Spanish is mostly spoken there. Furthermore, this area (much like the Rio Grande Valley and Laredo areas in Texas) are largely ignored by their respective state capitols.

Oh, and I do apologize for accusing you of being a Republican.

And yes, the situation does disturb me. I look at it differently, but it is what I do for a living.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:18 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,199,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
We do. This is why the dropout rate amongst Hispanic children whose first language (along with their parents) have some of the highest dropout rates in the country.
The ironic thing is that 55% of the words in the English language come from Latin. These kids already have built-in-vocabulary!

Old 01-27-2012, 05:26 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Alejandrina Cabrera, San Luis Arizona City Council Candidate, Removed From Ballot Over Lack Of English Proficiency

How does an American manage to get a high school diploma in this country and not speak English? How did she manage to pass English classes? Eh. Truthfully? This is just the kind of future many hispanic lobbying groups want for America: one in which fluent English is optional at best. Unless you have a physical disability such as deafness, anyone who wants to be an American should know English. This sort of linguistic laziness is not acceptable.

I wonder how she expected to communicate with her potential constituents, the government employees in the city, and her potential fellow council members.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies