Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should food stamp recipients be restricted from buying food that the government considers 'junk'?
Yes, there should be restrictions 98 77.78%
No, there should not 24 19.05%
Not sure 4 3.17%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 11:21 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times

Advertisements

I think it is a good thing. As long as the government is going to be subsidizing food purchases, which I think is necessary and probably some of the most useful domestic spending, it should do so in a way that promotes healthy choices. Besides it should save on Medicare/Medicaid down the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 11:28 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,684,083 times
I am not really sure how I feel about this bill. It disgusts me to see so many people with their EBT cards buying crap foods, especially when so many of them really don't need it if you know what I mean. But the government dictating what people should or shouldn't eat bothers me as well.

What I do find ironic is that Rhonda Storms is at the forefront of this legislation. I used to live in the same subdivision as her and Rhonda clearly has never met a soda, cake or candy she couldn't inhale. Maybe she just wants the poor to not have any junk so there is more left for her.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:29 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
That is exactly why the government has started mandating this stuff to begin with. They got their healthcare for all and now will have to pay for it. With what is the question still never to be answered so they will mandate everything we eat and drink and the excuse will of course become so it will be cheaper to pay for your healthcare. Thanks commies.

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
It use to be that way. There were things you couldn't purchase, such as candy. Guess, now they can have what they want. I'd say if the government is taking care of you, they will invade your refrigerator and your bedroom.

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
But the government dictating what people should or shouldn't eat bothers me as well.
It's not about the government dictating what people should or shouldn't eat, it's about them dictating what they'll pay for.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:30 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
What I do find ironic is that Rhonda Storms is at the forefront of this legislation. I used to live in the same subdivision as her and Rhonda clearly has never met a soda, cake or candy she couldn't inhale. Maybe she just wants the poor to not have any junk so there is more left for her.
Aside from her appearance, she's sort of like the Michele Bachmann of Florida now, isn't she? I know she went on a rampage a few years ago against gays in Tampa.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:31 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
That is exactly why the government has started mandating this stuff to begin with. They got their healthcare for all and now will have to pay for it. With what is the question still never to be answered so they will mandate everything we eat and drink and the excuse will of course become so it will be cheaper to pay for your healthcare. Thanks commies.
This isn't about mandating what people eat and drink.

If a lawmaker wanted to mandate what people ate or drank, he/she would file a bill to ban certain types of food or beverages from being sold, purchased, or consumed. That would be something Democrats, NOT Republicans, would be more likely to do.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:33 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
It's not about the government dictating what people should or shouldn't eat, it's about them dictating what they'll pay for.
This, this all the way. If you want to go out and buy hohos with your own money no one is stopping you, but if you are getting a subsidy there has to be limits.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:37 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,684,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Aside from her appearance, she's sort of like the Michele Bachmann of Florida now, isn't she? I know she went on a rampage a few years ago against gays in Tampa.
Yep. Thats our Rhonda. She also likes to sneak out in the middle of the night in her pajamas to steal political signs from neighbors yards. Years back there were many a video of her doing this. It was pretty hysterical. I have been watching her antics and cracking up at her for more than a decade now. She never disappoints.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:39 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
I'm kind of torn on the issue. On one hand, I think food stamps should be set up more like WIC where there are a limited amount of products you can purchase and you can't just put whatever you want in your cart.

On the other hand, this article comes to mind.
The 5 Stupidest Habits You Develop Growing Up Poor | Cracked.com
I know it's a humor site, but I've known many poorer people who behave much like the man who wrote the above article.

Buying fresh produce might not be economical and you may have to buy stuff that doesn't spoil quickly. Stretching your dollars, I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies