Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2012, 10:36 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
There were no US combat troops until 65, Nam was McNamara and Johnson's war.
Wrong. In 1964 there were 16,000 troops in Vietnam. See my response to another post re General Westmoreland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 10:56 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
It's easy for someone to "forgive" her if they didn't serve during the VN war, or lose a family member. It's one thing to protest the war on American soil, it's another thing to engage with the enemy on their soil.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:02 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
It's easy for someone to "forgive" her if they didn't serve during the VN war, or lose a family member. It's one thing to protest the war on American soil, it's another thing to engage with the enemy on their soil.
My husband served and bore her no ill will. Thesis fail.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:20 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
The people who get all tied up in knots because someone had the guts to try to do something about that insane war really need to get their heads straightened out. They seem unable to separate the facts of on the one hand, a dishournable war and on the other hand, patriotic and selfless service to your country. It is in no way hard or impossible to recognize the many heros and acts of valour that were performed by the troops in Vietnam. The fact that they were fighting an unjust and wrong headed war does in no way diminish their sacrifice.

Many people just can't get their minds around such an easy concept. I imagine these same people are the ones who would say, "America, love it or leave it". This is just the height of mindless ignorance.

My Father in law is one of the most outstanding men I have ever known. In all his ways he is an example of, honesty, integrity, hard work, devotion to duty, fearlessness and all the other attributes that make up the best of soldiers. He fought in the front, in Russia from 1940 to 1945. He was a German soldier and believe me he saw literally entire armies of his brothers wiped out. Do you imagine he would in any way attempt to justify the German political position that was the cause of that war? Would he think those who tried to assassinate Hitler as Traitors? Well , of course he would not. He's an intelligent man and he knows that that a soldier does his duty as a soldier and that is it. No more and no less. The fact that this was a bad war of aggression in no way diminishes the heroism and outstanding acts of courage that he and his fellow soldiers performed.

You people who all these years later are still trying to rationalize Vietnam as a good, just and necessary war need to give it up. It just was not in any way at all. Very few, but some of the men my father in law fought with are just the same. Hitler was right. The war was an honourable and just war. Those men are very few now all these years later but I'll tell you something. They lived the remaining years of their lives as never ending fight against reality. Bitter and unhappy old warriors.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:29 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

Old 02-01-2012, 11:34 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
But you don't mind not forgetting anything about slavery.

Hey the 1800's are over, forget about it.
Tell you what genius....if u can find a post in which I complained about slavery, I'll apologize to you in front of everyone on here.

You're barking up the wrong tree with that slavery sh*t. I've long ago dismissed it.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:35 AM

1,661 posts, read 1,393,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I know this has been beaten like the dead dog she is, but when I hear Hanoi Jane is to be honored by the president as one of the Top 100 Greatest Women of teh Century, my blood boils...

I just have to share --- rant ---cry!!

Shared by a friend---

Many do not know this truth... and also because she was on TV 3 times this week talking about her new book... and how good she feels in her 70's... she still does not know what she did wrong.. her book just may not make the best list if more people knew...
Barbara Walters said: Thank ...you all. Many died in Vietnam for our freedoms. I did not like Jane Fonda then and I don't like her now. She can lead her present life the way she wants and perhaps SHE can forget the past, but we DO NOT have to stand by without comment and see her "honored" as a "Woman of the Century." (I remember this well) For those who served and/or died. . . NEVER FORGIVE A TRAITOR. SHE REALLY WAS A TRAITOR!! and now President OBAMA wants to honor her......!!!!
In Memory of LT. C.Thomsen Wieland who spent 100 days at the Hanoi Hilton [Famous North Vietnam Prison] IF YOU NEVER FORWARDED ANYTHING IN YOUR LIFE FORWARD THIS SO THAT EVERYONE WILL KNOW!!!!!! A TRAITOR IS ABOUT TO BE HONORED. KEEP THIS MOVING ACROSS AMERICA This is for all the kids born in the 70's and after who do not remember, and didn't have to bear the burden that our fathers, mothers and older brothers and sisters had to bear.
Jane Fonda is being honored as one of the '100 Women of the Century.' BARBRA WALTERS WRITES: Unfortunately, many have forgotten and still countless others have never known how Ms. Fonda betrayed not only the idea of our country, but specific men who served and sacrificed during the Vietnam War. The first part of this is from an F-4E pilot.
The pilot's name is Jerry Driscoll, a River Rat. In 1968, the former Commandant of the USAF Survival School was a POW in Ho Lo Prison the ' Hanoi Hilton.' Dragged from a stinking cesspit of a cell, cleaned, fed, and dressed in clean PJ's, he was ordered to describe for a visiting American 'Peace Activist' the 'lenient and humane treatment' he'd received. He spat at Ms. Fonda, was clubbed, and was dragged away. During the subsequent beating, he fell forward on to the camp Commandant 's feet, which sent that officer berserk.
In 1978, the Air Force Colonel still suffered from double vision (which permanently ended his flying career) from the Commandant's frenzied application of a wooden baton. From 1963-65, Col. Larry Carrigan was in the 47FW/DO (F-4E's). He spent 6 years in the ' Hanoi Hilton'...the first three of which his family only knew he was 'missing in action'. His wife lived on faith that he was still alive. His group, too, got the cleaned-up, fed and clothed routine in preparation for a 'peace delegation' visit. They, however, had time and devised a plan to get word to the world that they were alive and still survived. Each man secreted a tiny piece of paper, with his Social Security Number on it, in the palm of his hand.
When paraded before Ms. Fonda and a cameraman, she walked the line, shaking each man's hand and asking little encouraging snippets like: 'Aren't you sorry you bombed babies?' and 'Are you grateful for the humane treatment from your benevolent captors?' Believing this HAD to be an act, they each palmed her their sliver of paper. She took them all without missing a beat.. At the end of the line and once the camera stopped rolling, to the shocked disbelief of the POWs, she turned to the officer in charge and handed him all the little pieces of paper...
Three men died from the subsequent beatings. Colonel Carrigan was almost number four but he survived, which is the only reason we know of her actions that day. I was a civilian economic development advisor in Vietnam , and was captured by the North Vietnamese communists in South Vietnam in 1968, and held prisoner for over 5 years. I spent 27 months in solitary confinement; one year in a cage in Cambodia ; and one year in a 'black box' in Hanoi . My North Vietnamese captors deliberately poisoned and murdered a female missionary, a nurse in a leprosarium in Banme Thuot , South Vietnam , whom I buried in the jungle near the Cambodian border. At one time, I weighed only about 90 lbs. (My normal weight is 170 lbs)
We were Jane Fonda's 'war criminals....' When Jane Fonda was in Hanoi , I was asked by the camp communist political officer if I would be willing to meet with her. I said yes, for I wanted to tell her about the real treatment we POWs received... and how different it was from the treatment purported by the North Vietnamese, and parroted by her as 'humane and lenient.' Because of this, I spent three days on a rocky floor on my knees, with my arms outstretched with a large steel weight placed on my hands, and beaten with a bamboo cane. I had the opportunity to meet with Jane Fonda soon after I was released. I asked her if she would be willing to debate me on TV. She never did answer me.
These first-hand experiences do not exemplify someone who should be honored as part of '100 Years of Great Women.' Lest we forget....' 100 Years of Great Women' should never include a traitor whose hands are covered with the blood of so many patriots. There are few things I have strong visceral reactions to, but Hanoi Jane's participation in blatant treason, is one of them. Please take the time to forward to as many people as you possibly can..
It will eventually end up on her computer and she needs to know that we will never forget. RONALD D. SAMPSON, CMSgt, USAF 716 Maintenance Squadron, Chief of Maintenance DSN: 875-6431 COMM: 883-6343 PLEASE HELP BY SENDING THIS TO EVERYONE IN YOUR ADDRESS BOOK. IF ENOUGH PEOPLE SEE THIS MAYBE HER STATUS WILL CHANGE.
Ancient history. Yawn.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:39 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
my husband and BIL both combat veterans of VN also have no ill will towards her

Old 02-01-2012, 11:44 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Suggest checking history rather than parroting Marxist propaganda. US military forces NEVER lost a major battle to the communists, neither VC or NVA. We inflicted casualties on the enemy at several multiples of those we took. We did not lose, we withdrew because of lack of political will and because we were forced to fight under severe restraint and were never allowed to use more than a fraction of our assets. There have been dozens of books written about the Vietnam conflict, the honest ones have confirmed this opinion.
Body counts are useless in guerilla wars, which is why the Pentagon no longer uses it to measure success.

We had it all...planes, artillery, navy, etc...and still lost. This "we won every major battle" nonsense is a bunch of tripe. It's useless, meaningless information. They never expected to kill more of us than we did them....which is why they won.

Like i said...better, more disciplined, better cause. That's why we lost.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:04 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
My problem with Jane Fonda was that she WASN'T anti-war. She was pro-North Vietnam. (A pacifist isn't going to sit behind an anti-aircraft gun and get her picture taken.) I have much more respect and admitation for the true Vietnam pacifists like Joan Baez.

Whatever. She's not on the radar anymore unless she has something to sell. So I guess she's a good little capitalist after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies