Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 07:41 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Liberals do it every day in school. Some kids are made to feel ashame if they wear a Cross to school, even been asked to remove it.

Liberals tell the kids, it might offend someone.......... now who would that be?
The cross should signigy that it might DEFEND someone and not OFFEND them...Christians who are real - defend the weak....There is a story in the NT - about a man that would sit at the table of Jesus ' the man who loved Christ' - He would lean in and constantly put his head against the chest of Christ - Christ did not - reject this person - neither did he have a sexaul relationship with this man - He treated him with kindness and love regardless...it was not a case of condoning or not - IF you want to improve people - like a dog - you will get better results with love than a KICK!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 07:46 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Maybe she should have been a preacher instead, then? As a public librarian, the second I walk through that library door, I leave behind my personal beliefs on any issues that might affect my work... case in point, I've ordered my share of Glenn Beck, George W. Bush, and Rush Limbaugh books over the years. For crying out loud, I even ordered an Ann Coulter book once!

The librarian who held my position previously was apparently uber Christian, and would refuse to catalog, order, or even TOUCH any books she felt were "sinful." That included Harry Potter, Twilight, and a whole host of other popular titles. Needless to say, she's no longer working there, and left behind a reputation of being "that crazy religious librarian." And we have plenty of Christians, Catholics & Jews on staff, but that NEVER factors into making professional decisions on the job. This so-called counselor seems to have missed the memo, and clearly followed the wrong calling IMO.
Assume the issue were not homosexuality but pedophilia and she had an aversion to that condition. Are you saying it would have been unprofessional for her to refer such a case to another therapist?

Old 02-01-2012, 07:49 AM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Liberals do it every day in school. Some kids are made to feel ashame if they wear a Cross to school, even been asked to remove it.

Liberals tell the kids, it might offend someone.......... now who would that be?
Blah blah blah... unless you have some FACTS and SOURCES to back up that nonsense, it's really nothing more than a pathetic attempt at deflection. And if such a thing were really happening, I'd say that was wrong too. See, I can leave my personal beliefs out of my business, which seems to be more difficult for some people than others.

But having worked in public schools myself, in San Francisco no less, I can tell you this is just ridiculous heresy. Tons of kids wore crosses to school without incident, and I never witnessed a teacher making anyone feel guilty for it - let alone sharing their political leanings, religious beliefs, etc. Sometimes you could make an educated guess, but they never openly discussed or pushed these beliefs on their students. Where do you hear this stuff?

Old 02-01-2012, 07:51 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Is it a hostility to her faith, or a hostility to her anti-gayness? There's a big difference between those two. Just because someone is anti-gay doesn't automatically make it about religion. There are plenty of people of all faiths that have no problem with gays and some that are gay themselves, and there are plenty of people who are anti-gay for non-religious reasons. There are two separate issues that are being melded into one here. Basically, her attitude towards gays does not imply that people's opposition to her attitude is religion-based so the claim of religious discrimination cannot be made unless it's her actual faith itself that's being disputed, and not her treatment towards clients who happen to be gay.
This was about her religious beliefs concerning homosexual behavior. Ward said so and her professors questioned her about religious beliefs.

By the way, Ward did not refuse to counsel gay clients. She refused to affirm or validate a client’s same-sex relationships as well as certain heterosexual conduct, such as extra-marital relationships.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Assume the issue were not homosexuality but pedophilia and she had an aversion to that condition. Are you saying it would have been unprofessional for her to refer such a case to another therapist?
Terrible analogy, since pedophilia is illegal and involves child abuse - both of which fall under mandatory reporting, so the therapist would be required to report that to authorities. Try again.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:54 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Terrible analogy, since pedophilia is illegal and involves child abuse - both of which fall under mandatory reporting, so the therapist would be required to report that to authorities. Try again.
Fine then take abortion as an analogy. She'd probably refer them to someone else for the same religious belief reasons.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Fine then take abortion as an analogy. She'd probably refer them to someone else for the same religious belief reasons.
Then again, I say she probably chose the wrong profession... as I would assume that's come up before, considering the age group she's working with, and she should be able to counsel them without bias. I'm not saying a therapist can't have feelings or opinions, or that all therapists are the right fit for all patients - because that wouldn't be true. But when we're talking about MAJOR issues like homosexuality and abortion, which would be frequently brought up in college counseling sessions, she should be professional enough to provide non-judgmental counsel. Or stick to Christian-based counseling, which actually is a branch of legitimate therapy (I know somebody who does just that).

Old 02-01-2012, 08:06 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Then again, I say she probably chose the wrong profession... as I would assume that's come up before, considering the age group she's working with, and she should be able to counsel them without bias. I'm not saying a therapist can't have feelings or opinions, or that all therapists are the right fit for all patients - because that wouldn't be true. But when we're talking about MAJOR issues like homosexuality and abortion, which would be frequently brought up in college counseling sessions, she should be professional enough to provide non-judgmental counsel. Or stick to Christian-based counseling, which actually is a branch of legitimate therapy (I know somebody who does just that).
She's a graduate student. How do you know she's not planning to pursue counseling at private religious schools ?

If anything, she did exhibit acceptance of diversity by asking that someone else counsel them on their relationship issues because she knew she was biased due to her beliefs.

That IS showing tolerance.

I'm sure you don't want someone dictating what you should believe in or not..right ? So why are you then dictating what someone else should believe in or not.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:19 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
This was about her religious beliefs concerning homosexual behavior. Ward said so and her professors questioned her about religious beliefs.

By the way, Ward did not refuse to counsel gay clients. She refused to affirm or validate a client’s same-sex relationships as well as certain heterosexual conduct, such as extra-marital relationships.
Honestly I think it's unprofessional for her to let her personal opinions, religious or not, bleed into her counseling.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:19 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Quote:
I think it's a good analogy, but counter to what JimMe is getting at. Pedophiles do (and should) receive counseling, and a counselor should not refuse the person because of an objection to pedophilia. Since pedophilia is illegal, a counselor isn't counseling the person on how to be a better pedophile or how to have a happier pedophiliac life. Counseling for people prone to doing illegal things isn't giving acceptance of the illegal acts.

Yes, the counselor would need to report the pedophile to authorities, but authorities in turn refer such people to counselors.

Just as a professional counselor would counsel a pedophile regardless of their personal feelings or morality, so should a counselor accept homosexual patients (who aren't even doing anything illegal).

Personally, I lean towards not agreeing with the decision to kick her out of the graduate program, but I'm kind of on the fence. Were she in the work world and an employer decided her performance was not professional due to her aversion to some patients, I'd agree if they opted to fire her.

As regards her dismissal from the school program, imagine someone finishing up a cultural anthropology degree, preparing to do field ethnography, and the student lets it be known that they don't want to study certain groups because they think they're immoral, or inferior. That attitude right there runs counter to the aims and fundamental beliefs of cultural anthropology and could be grounds for not completing an academic program (not to say that anthropologists haven't expressed negative views of societies they studied, but they didn't refuse to study them because of their views). Like I said, I'm on the fence, I can see pros and cons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies