Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 05:28 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,333,723 times

Advertisements

Obama Plans Refinance Aid to Lift Housing - WSJ.com

Obama's new brainstorm is to force banks to refinance to everyone current on their loans even if they can not afford the loan. Sound familiar? This is what the Community Investment Act did to start the housing meltdown. To make it worse, the banks will get taxed to pay for the refinancing that they don't want to do. Sounds like the state is running the banks now.
Obama is trying to give away as much "candy" as it takes to win reelection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 05:31 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Yeah this has been knocked around the last couple weeks and now the orator is out there finally pushing it. Easy way to buy votes with the gimme gimme crowd throwing all in. Hell what point is there of signing a contract if your a bank anymore when uncle sam will just step in and throw it away? I think I'll just stop paying my mortgage and see how far I can work it. Hell your punished nowdays for honoring your agreement and those who don't are rewarded. Its beyond insane anymore.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:37 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,175,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Yeah this has been knocked around the last couple weeks and now the orator is out there finally pushing it. Easy way to buy votes with the gimme gimme crowd throwing all in. Hell what point is there of signing a contract if your a bank anymore when uncle sam will just step in and throw it away? I think I'll just stop paying my mortgage and see how far I can work it. Hell your punished nowdays for honoring your agreement and those who don't are rewarded. Its beyond insane anymore.
Welcome to USSA

Old 02-01-2012, 05:38 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Yeah uncle sam will own everybody's property. Yippee.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:19 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,193,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Obama Plans Refinance Aid to Lift Housing - WSJ.com

Obama's new brainstorm is to force banks to refinance to everyone current on their loans even if they can not afford the loan. Sound familiar? This is what the Community Investment Act did to start the housing meltdown. To make it worse, the banks will get taxed to pay for the refinancing that they don't want to do. Sounds like the state is running the banks now.
Obama is trying to give away as much "candy" as it takes to win reelection.
The banks largely caused this ****** mess, so they deserve whatever they get.

By the way, if the people already have the loan, refinancing it isn't increasing any risk. Plenty of people can actually afford to refinance, but they don't have the equity due to the market being down.

Yet another partisan whiner.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:31 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Another sign of a failed kleptocracy/idiocracy.........people cannot take the medicine.....taking responsibility for their own mistakes.

Big Brother via Fan/Fred injected TRILLIONS of dollars into the mortgage markets.......this was in large part what fueled the HUGE housing bubble.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:57 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I don't have a problem with this. The banks got bailouts and should pass that on to the consumer. As long as this is just resetting the interest rate, not reducing principal, I don't see a problem.
Taking responsibility for their own mistakes? Sure, but a lot of people didn't MAKE mistakes. They played by the rules that the banks themselves set.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:58 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
An article with a bit more information would have been helpful.

President Obama details plan to help homeowners w/ mortgage | abc7.com (http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/national_world&id=8527447 - broken link)

So everyone was up in arms about banks being bailed out, and now that banks will be "forced" to help bailout people, meaning the banks won't make that much because of a lower interest rate to homeowners, there's an issue? No homeowner will being forced to go this route and the cost is nothing compared to what it cost the taxpayers to bailout banks and companies. The program will cost between $5 and $10 billion - to help people!! not banks or companies.

Here's a list of banks only that got bailouts 2008/2009, from less than a couple of thousand to billions and what has been repaid, or more importantly what hasn't been repaid. Let's not even discuss companies that got bailed out and failed, writing off the entire bailout money at a cost to taxpayers.

Treasury's bank bailout list - CNNMoney.com

Quote:
The Treasury Department has invested about $200 billion in hundreds of banks through its Capital Purchase Program in an effort to prop up capital and support new lending. Here’s a list of the banks that got bailed out.
Total purchase amount:
$204,808,576,320
Total repaid:
-$96,249,045,000
Capital Purchase Program total investment:
$108,487,042,320

Old 02-02-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
The banks largely caused this ****** mess, so they deserve whatever they get.

By the way, if the people already have the loan, refinancing it isn't increasing any risk. Plenty of people can actually afford to refinance, but they don't have the equity due to the market being down.

Yet another partisan whiner.
But the new regulation is for anyone who wants to refinance regardless of their credit rating...just like with the Community Redevelopment Act.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't have a problem with this. The banks got bailouts and should pass that on to the consumer. As long as this is just resetting the interest rate, not reducing principal, I don't see a problem.
Taking responsibility for their own mistakes? Sure, but a lot of people didn't MAKE mistakes. They played by the rules that the banks themselves set.
The government set the rules, forcing the banks to lend to those that could not afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies