Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 06:56 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times

Advertisements

When i was little and growing up. I always thought that those who were real relgious, and went to church. Were the people most tolerant and understanding of all others. Boy was i wrong.

How many of these Moms are hypocrites, and do watch Ellen, i bet quite a few!

This is after all nothing but a business deal, Moms don't like JC Pennys decision, do not shop there, i happen to like them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 07:34 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,962 times
Since a lot of you guys say that guys who say homosexuality is wrong are secretly homosexual themselves, are the mothers of the Million Moms group all secretly lesbian?

But Ellen shouldn't be imposing her political viewpoints about the overturning of this amendment onto her viewers, not all of them agree with her.

Also, JCPenney should remain neutral and not pick any sides. So, Ellen SHOULD be replaced as is the goal of this group.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:52 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Since a lot of you guys say that guys who say homosexuality is wrong are secretly homosexual themselves, are the mothers of the Million Moms group all secretly lesbian?

But Ellen shouldn't be imposing her political viewpoints about the overturning of this amendment onto her viewers, not all of them agree with her.

Also, JCPenney should remain neutral and not pick any sides. So, Ellen SHOULD be replaced as is the goal of this group.
If her viewers don't agree with her, then they don't have to watch her. The same goes with JCPenny--if you don't like it that they're using Ellen D. as a spokesperson, then don't shop there. Evidently JCPenny thinks she helps them way more than she hurts them, or they never would have hired her to begin with. My guess is this "million moms" group is more like a couple of hundred moms who don't have anything better to fuss about.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:57 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post

LOL!!! How can Ellen "impose" her viewpoints on her viewers? Did they all misplace their remotes?

Old 02-08-2012, 08:01 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Really? Please find where in the Bible you can see a single instance where Jesus evoked a hate posse, bashed gays, told folks to hate black people, or instructed mankind to hate & beat down/ humiliate womankind as a religious right. Ever. Anywhere.

They aren't practicing religion. They made up their own 'religion'. In other words, a cult.
Did you forget about the Old Testament? I think that's where these folks get most of their crackpot notions.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:04 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
When i was little and growing up. I always thought that those who were real relgious, and went to church. Were the people most tolerant and understanding of all others. Boy was i wrong.
Growing up I had that same silly notion that everyone in the pews were saints. It wasn't until very late that I realized everyone in the pews were sinners and just recently got reminded of it in another thread. What sorts Christians apart- there are ones who earnestly try to be a better human being, even as they stumble, they get up and try again. The others (who aren't Christians) didn't come to rid themselves of bad habits, but to heckle and peddle more bad habits. So I found myself asking 'should I go to Church to pick up bad habits'? Hateful gossips left me averse to hateful gossip my whole life, but if I had to subject myself to that full time I'd go postal. I had to grab my Bible and stand outside the Church.

Best decision I ever made, really. Not to complain at clergy who certainly do have a chore on their hands. It would hurt their feelings to hear it but it was necessary for my own wellbeing to step out of the fray of adult dramas that I was just too young and inexperienced to cope with at the time. As it turned out, no rational person should bother adapting to people using you for a dumping ground. Not all Christian kids learn that lesson soon enough IMO. I uninvited middlemen & noisy people demanding therapy from everyone sitting in the waiting room as it were. Are we supposed to have cross to bear contests with one another? What could be the point of that if we're solving nothing?

Many dechurched folks had similar experiences in their pews, are mistrustful of organized religion and keep their faith closer to their chests. Lincoln was wiser than folks gave him credit on that subject. Christian is a verb. Works better that way than the circus tent revival they make of it in politics. The best Christians I've known wouldn't mind God sneaking up on them to take a peek. They're doing right every opportunity they get, and to my taste, they're the real American heroes. Not sports figures and celebrities.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:14 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
The One Million Moms Facebook page is getting well and truly slammed, but the 1 Million Moms Against One Million Moms is growing fast.

JCP is going to be gaining a lot of business over this.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:08 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Did you forget about the Old Testament? I think that's where these folks get most of their crackpot notions.
If you'll note the mission statement of Jesus, it was to set the old testament right. Christians call this the difference between the old and the new covenant. Jesus was a Jew, the old testament was retained for context, but the new testament is a metaphoric lens with which to view the whole. To see where it is WE went wrong (not just great grandpappy Jew). He didn't say burn the book or forget. He didn't say abandon all traditions and break every commandment. His consistent encouragement was to look through this lens of his own eye and see more. Stop mistreating one another with injustice heaped upon injustice. Whom did he rebuke when he was alive? Hypocrites. Materialists. People abusing religion for personal gain caused him to respond in the singular act of violence he ever committed-- turning a house of prayer into a den of thieves is a grievous offense. Which might explain the spitting on the ground Christians do about prosperity preachers, but restrain themselves from taking bulldozers to their buildings. Even if they'd love to clean their clocks in a court of God which does not exist in this plane. But wouldn't that be an interesting reality tv series- a Jerry Springer type dueling theologians.

Go on and read it for yourself-- not to convert you. If you prefer to believe he was one helluva a philosopher you can still look listen and feel what he was saying about what was wrong in the world. How authority had compromised themselves trying to save a vainglorious place for themselves in history at the expense of their primary tasks.

The most brilliant part of the design of the Bible for me is it's prism effect. No matter where you're coming from, there's something to see. Some insight available no matter your age or how your aptitudes incline you to look at the world-- all kinds of people can learn from it as a parable even if they're unwilling to invest themselves in belief of any God. It could be as innocuous to an atheist as reading moral tales from brothers grim if only they didn't prime themselves fearfully as if they were about to fall off the edge of the earth. We're not flat earth folks, are we? I'm grown, secure in my faith & not scared of reading atheists books. Do they have cause to be scared of reading religious books (even if it annoys the *&%$& out of them)?

IF you read it, you might recognize a common theme how compassionately Ellen treats other human beings throughout her career. That's a cultivated behavior largely attributed to Judeo-Christian religious practice. Outward appearances in terms of a verb she looks plenty Christian to me. How her moral compass works off stage living day in day out, or what she truly believes, isn't anything we get to know about. Only her maker knows. To me, she's like the gay Laura Ingalls Wilder. LOL. By that I mean she doesn't take any garbage from anyone. Well, not without converting it into something nonsensical giving it all the importance it deserves. Brilliant.

Yes, Gays are Christian too. They were born, not hatched, of hetero parents. Parents who did not fail at being Christians, but appear to have been challenged to love them anyway, no matter the theological confusion about old testament. No matter Paul & Timothy's confusion as well. What rebuke did Jesus give Paul as he was apostle-in-training? Did he backslide from the criticism unique to him after Jesus was no longer there to scold him directly? Was their any instruction from Jesus that Christians should worship Apostles, or any mortal/ angel? Or was the instruction opposite? Was any servant of God taking pen to parchment to culminate the Bible omnipotent? Matthew 19:16-17 If Jesus himself was this humble, pointing up the chain of command to worship, I'm thinking people lending too much weight to what any one mortal said have lost sight of all the rest.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:25 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
If you'll note the mission statement of Jesus, it was to set the old testament right. Christians call this the difference between the old and the new covenant. Jesus was a Jew, the old testament was retained for context, but the new testament is a metaphoric lens with which to view the whole. To see where it is WE went wrong (not just great grandpappy Jew). He didn't say burn the book or forget. He didn't say abandon all traditions and break every commandment. His consistent encouragement was to look through this lens of his own eye and see more. Stop mistreating one another with injustice heaped upon injustice. Whom did he rebuke when he was alive? Hypocrites. Materialists. People abusing religion for personal gain caused him to respond in the singular act of violence he ever committed-- turning a house of prayer into a den of thieves is a grievous offense. Which might explain the spitting on the ground Christians do about prosperity preachers, but restrain themselves from taking bulldozers to their buildings. Even if they'd love to clean their clocks in a court of God which does not exist in this plane. But wouldn't that be an interesting reality tv series- a Jerry Springer type dueling theologians.

Go on and read it for yourself-- not to convert you. If you prefer to believe he was one helluva a philosopher you can still look listen and feel what he was saying about what was wrong in the world. How authority had compromised themselves trying to save a vainglorious place for themselves in history at the expense of their primary tasks.

The most brilliant part of the design of the Bible for me is it's prism effect. No matter where you're coming from, there's something to see. Some insight available no matter your age or how your aptitudes incline you to look at the world-- all kinds of people can learn from it as a parable even if they're unwilling to invest themselves in belief of any God. It could be as innocuous to an atheist as reading moral tales from brothers grim if only they didn't prime themselves fearfully as if they were about to fall off the edge of the earth. We're not flat earth folks, are we? I'm grown, secure in my faith & not scared of reading atheists books. Do they have cause to be scared of reading religious books (even if it annoys the *&%$& out of them)?

IF you read it, you might recognize a common theme how compassionately Ellen treats other human beings throughout her career. That's a cultivated behavior largely attributed to Judeo-Christian religious practice. Outward appearances in terms of a verb she looks plenty Christian to me. How her moral compass works off stage living day in day out, or what she truly believes, isn't anything we get to know about. Only her maker knows. To me, she's like the gay Laura Ingalls Wilder. LOL. By that I mean she doesn't take any garbage from anyone. Well, not without converting it into something nonsensical giving it all the importance it deserves. Brilliant.

Yes, Gays are Christian too. They were born, not hatched, of hetero parents. Parents who did not fail at being Christians, but appear to have been challenged to love them anyway, no matter the theological confusion about old testament. No matter Paul & Timothy's confusion as well. What rebuke did Jesus give Paul as he was apostle-in-training? Did he backslide from the criticism unique to him after Jesus was no longer there to scold him directly? Was their any instruction from Jesus that Christians should worship Apostles, or any mortal/ angel? Or was the instruction opposite? Was any servant of God taking pen to parchment to culminate the Bible omnipotent? Matthew 19:16-17 If Jesus himself was this humble, pointing up the chain of command to worship, I'm thinking people lending too much weight to what any one mortal said have lost sight of all the rest.
What a really great post, and so inspiring, i think cause it is true and from your heart. I have learned over the years, you can believe, and you can love the same, as those who go to church, but appears so many who do not go to church, don't fall into the trap.

I love people who are spiritual, and loving of everyone, and non judgemental.

I have know christian friends, who proclaim they are christians, oh my gosh do not get on the wrong side of them, even if they think you have but have not, you will never live to forget it, they are judgemental, and so non forgiving. I cannot have friends as that.
And in no way am i saying all christians are like this because i know they are not. But there are those that fall into the trap, of being judgemental of everyone who does not agee and share their values.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:32 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post

JCP is going to be gaining a lot of business over this.
I'm certain marketing is their strategy. Sadly, they will profit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies