Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 09:13 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
I agree, it's a bad idea as not only will it harm the private sector to have this huge influx of workers now available, the fat cats would have a field day trying to force as many people onto the unemployment lines as they can so they could receive free work, municipalities would slash their paid workforces etc,..it would likely lead to mass numbers of people forced into unemployment working just to barely survive with little to no chance of ever coming out of the situation.
I believe you're blowing it way out of proportion. Businesses would not shed employees only to have those employees to come and do free work for them. This is not about the private sector. The private sector would not get "free workers." I'm strictly referring to community service-type projects that benefit everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
So how big a ditch do you expect the owners and managers of the bailed out banks and industries to dig?

I just admire your freedom loving attitudes that "That's why American's should be forced to contribute..." citizens should be coerced to work even though they, by spending their unemployment check, are already doing what they are expected to do. I just love the way the right Wing wants to use coercion on the poor while kissing big money’s Arse.

You guys sound like a whining 10 year old told to mow the lawn while the neighbor’s kid can go ride his bicycle because the lawn care company takes care of their yard.
Wow, Nancy Pelosi! I didn't know you played around on this thread! Spending that unemployment check is their only duty huh? All they have to do is spend it and jobs will be created that way?! Doing their duty!!

Quote:
"The unemployment insurance extension is not only good for individuals. It has a macroeconomic impact. As macroeconomic advisers have stated, it would make a difference of 600,000 jobs to our economy.” - Nancy Pelosi
Pelosi: Extending Unemployment Benefits Would Create

Old 02-06-2012, 01:32 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
If an able-bodied adult receives a government handout ("mailbox money") for more than 3 months, that person should be forced to perform some sort of community service as recompense to the country that bailed them out.

It doesn't matter if the job market is down. It doesn't matter if your job loss is out of your control. That money is not free. The "something for nothing" attitude that Big Government has cultivated in this nation has to stop. We simply can't afford it anymore.

Besides, what's wrong with a bastion of citizens contributing to society since society has contributed to them ($$$)?

Don't we have plenty of projects that the "little man" could work on that would make this country a better place? After all, they are getting paid.
If you are calling unemployment benefits in the first three months a handout you really do not understand where the money comes from, clue it is not from taxes. Just so ya know.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:44 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I loose interest in anything that starts out with "the government should FORCE.."

But just so you know, this won't work and numerous threads have already pointed out why. But just know there isn't enough "community service" type work available for every unemployed person. Not unless you want to relocate a bunch of them too.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
If you are calling unemployment benefits in the first three months a handout you really do not understand where the money comes from, clue it is not from taxes. Just so ya know.
I know where unemployment benefits come from. Employees do not pay it....businesses do. During periods of extended national economic hardship, those businesses are deemed UI revenue "positive" or "negative"....meaning that the government has doled out more or less than the company has paid into the insurance fund. Where do you think negative funding comes from? You and me and every other tax payer.

This is not free money. Since unemployment is not paid by employees, it is therefore the epitome of handouts, which should require some effort on the part of the person benefitting to pay back the money that was paid out on their behalf, preferrably through some sort of Community Service contribution.

But lets not forget: Unemployment is but ONE form of government handout. I don't discriminate in my assertion that government handouts should require a work program contribution. (SSI is not included)

Old 02-06-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I loose interest in anything that starts out with "the government should FORCE.."

But just so you know, this won't work and numerous threads have already pointed out why. But just know there isn't enough "community service" type work available for every unemployed person. Not unless you want to relocate a bunch of them too.
Feel free to show us why this won't work. Don't just say it, prove it.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:54 PM

994 posts, read 725,152 times
Quote:
They already get a check. Now it's time to put forth the work to earn that check. That's vastly different than hiring someone and offering them money to do a set type of work. These people are indebted. They don't get to dictate the terms. That's the difference here.
That doesn't actually solve the problem unfortunately. It's like saying it's not a job, it's more like indentured servitude. Much as I do like your idea on an emotional level, don't get me wrong, it doesn't sound constitutional. I can't see how it would be legal unless it was voluntary, which turns it into a public sector job. Also, what kind of a government agency do you see this taking to administer a program like this on a national level? I could see the overhead for running the program costing more than the value of the community service that we get out of it.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:42 PM

41,961 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
I agree, it's a bad idea as not only will it harm the private sector to have this huge influx of workers now available, the fat cats would have a field day trying to force as many people onto the unemployment lines as they can so they could receive free work, municipalities would slash their paid workforces etc,..it would likely lead to mass numbers of people forced into unemployment working just to barely survive with little to no chance of ever coming out of the situation.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see how that would happen within months, if not weeks.

Quote:
Now it's time to put forth the work to earn that check. .
People on unemployment have earned it already, as an insurance benefit from their employer, just as they earn health insurance, paid vacation, and any other benefit the employer offers. They've earned it by working.

Quote:
This is not about the private sector.
It most certainly is. Who do you think is employing, laying off, and re-employing workers?

Old 02-06-2012, 05:02 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Feel free to show us why this won't work. Don't just say it, prove it.
I can't "prove" anything until it's actually put into practice. Feel free to get that going. I'll be particularly interested in the cost of such a program...

Old 02-06-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I can't "prove" anything until it's actually put into practice. Feel free to get that going. I'll be particularly interested in the cost of such a program...
You made the claim that it won't work. Now prove it.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies