Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 06:06 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,518,581 times

Advertisements

<smh>

Banks, accelerating efforts to move troubled mortgages off their books, are offering as much as $35,000 or more in cash to delinquent homeowners to sell their properties for less than they owe.

Banks Paying Homeowners to Avoid Foreclosures - Bloomberg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 06:18 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
This does not make sense. The banks should just have the sheriff boot these deadbeats who have not paid their mortgage for more than 3 months. This is THEFT.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:31 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
This does not make sense. The banks should just have the sheriff boot these deadbeats who have not paid their mortgage for more than 3 months. This is THEFT.
It seems they are doing this to avoid the foreclosure process which they will bring substantially less than bribing the people to sell now to save the hit to the banks. It's also very common for people who are foreclosed on to destroy the homes making their value plunge even more.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:38 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
It seems they are doing this to avoid the foreclosure process which they will bring substantially less than bribing the people to sell now to save the hit to the banks. It's also very common for people who are foreclosed on to destroy the homes making their value plunge even more.
There's also the issue that the banks, by not implementing proper paperwork procedures, will not have to face this issue in court. With this, they get to avoid having their practices and methods inspected carefully in a court of law.

As an aside, I know of one person that has had their house in foreclosure for over 3 years because of the delays they were able to introduce in the court due to the bank's shoddy paperwork. I am sure this particular case if one of many and is being replicated in courts around the country. So, in short, this is an easy way out for the bank.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:40 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Not having the Note in possession is causing quite the conundrum for the banks.
While they gladly take the mortgage payments they cannot prove they are lienholders on the mortgage.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:44 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
There aren't enough sheriffs in the world to evict all the millions of deadbeats in our nation.

The banks are enticing them to take some money and move out instead of staying indefinitly payment free.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:47 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
The foreclosure situation and the banks is that bad folks..that bad.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:54 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,598,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
There's also the issue that the banks, by not implementing proper paperwork procedures, will not have to face this issue in court. With this, they get to avoid having their practices and methods inspected carefully in a court of law.

As an aside, I know of one person that has had their house in foreclosure for over 3 years because of the delays they were able to introduce in the court due to the bank's shoddy paperwork. I am sure this particular case if one of many and is being replicated in courts around the country. So, in short, this is an easy way out for the bank.

There are a bunch of cases. Most are MERS challenges or end up as such and have been tossed out.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:54 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
I think it was Greenspan that suggested that instead of bailing out all these banks, just buy up all the bad mortgages and bulldoze the houses. I'm not a Greenspan fan but in some ways, I wonder if that would have just been an easier solution. I say this with a good deal of skepticism, I might add, but it really is that bad with this housing crisis.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:55 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,598,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Not having the Note in possession is causing quite the conundrum for the banks.
While they gladly take the mortgage payments they cannot prove they are lienholders on the mortgage.
They don't have to. Google MERS. Most challenges to MERS have failed and the frequency of failure is increasing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies