Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 07:18 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,549,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Just pointing out Republican hypocrisy on the matter of freedom of religion. You seemed to want to throw the "hypocrisy" label around so I thought I'd point out to you that hypocrisy is hardly a unique trait for Liberals as you'd like to attempt to claim.
Funny. You have spent so much time here arguing with yourself you have declined to actually address the topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 07:20 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,303,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What hypocrisy ? At that time in history, slavery was accepted and legal.
In many countries I might add.
Well, it isn't as though Jefferson himself didn't see it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ
There must doubtless be an unhappy influence on the manners of our people produced by the existence of slavery among us. The whole commerce between master and slave is a perpetual exercise of the most boisterous passions, the most unremitting despotism on the one part, and degrading submissions on the other. Our children see this, and learn to imitate it; for man is an imitative animal. . . . Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever: that considering numbers, nature and natural means only, a revolution of the wheel of fortune, an exchange of situation, is among possible events: that it may become probable by supernatural interference! The Almighty has no attribute which can take side with us in such a context. But it is impossible to be temperate and to pursue this subject through the various considerations of policy, of morals, of history natural and civil. We must be contented to hope they will force their way into every one's mind. I think a change already perceptible, since the origin of the present revolution. The spirit of the master is abating, that of the slave rising from the dust, his condition mollifying, the way I hope preparing, under the auspices of heaven, for a total emancipation, and that this is disposed, in the order of events, to be with the consent of the masters, rather than by their extirpation.
This is a quote from 1781 from Jefferson... I think its clear that he SEES the hypocrisy, but concedes that nothing can be done about it at that time from a legislative standpoint.

Its a fair argument to make and it is how I DARE sleep at night knowing that Jefferson, a man who is to be lauded and respected for his role in the founding of this country, was also hypocritical...

(There's a VERY close parallel happening in the Presidential Campaign, but I hesitate to draw the comparison because I don't want to go off-subject, nor do I want to arouse the "haters" who won't see the forest for the trees regarding such comparison.)

Old 02-08-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
You have written nothing that backs up your claim that you admire the Founding Fathers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler
While Jefferson, Madison (oh, and guys like Hamilton: A FEDERALIST WHO BELIEVED IN A STRONG CENTRAL GOVERNMENT FYI) created an excellent framework for government...
I guess anything short of calling them perfect men is an affront to this country and must mean I "Hate America"?

(Do I need to strike up the band for you again? Or can you hum the "Star Spangled Banner" while you type your response? )

Old 02-08-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Funny. You have spent so much time here arguing with yourself you have declined to actually address the topic.
Obviously because I hate America, right?

Basically backed you into a corner, so now you want to get back "on topic", eh?

So, do you want to start with how, "All dem Libs are against religious freedom." again? (Really this is getting comical)

Old 02-08-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
I guess anything short of calling them perfect men is an affront to this country and must mean I "Hate America"?

(Do I need to strike up the band for you again? Or can you hum the "Star Spangled Banner" while you type your response? )
You have said nothing positive about the Founding Fathers. A backhanded comment about a "framework" doesn't erase your expressed contempt for the men who founded your country.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
You have said nothing positive about the Founding Fathers. A backhanded comment about a "framework" doesn't erase your expressed contempt for the men who founded your country.
I'm sorry, so admiring their accomplishments while expressing that Jefferson may have been a flawed individual is "expressed contempt" for the founding fathers?

I actually very much admire Jefferson, I just don't hold him up as a Christ-Like figure without reproach. I think TJ himself would say that's VERY "American" of me....

Old 02-08-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry, so admiring their accomplishments while expressing that Jefferson may have been a flawed individual is "expressed contempt" for the founding fathers?

I actually very much admire Jefferson, I just don't hold him up as a Christ-Like figure without reproach. I think TJ himself would say that's VERY "American" of me....
I see you've morphed your opinion of Jefferson over the course of this thread.

A few more pages of comments and you'll be calling him a "hero".

Old 02-08-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
I see you've morphed your opinion of Jefferson over the course of this thread.

A few more pages of comments and you'll be calling him a "hero".
Perhaps you'd care to show me where I said I disliked him?

Unlike you, I guess, an individual can display hypocrisy without drawing my contempt.

You took a comparative comment I made regarding you holding up Jefferson while railing against hypocrisy. I simply called you on it. But you keep searching the stands for that homerun ball to throw back, mmmmkay? If you're nice I'll sign it for you...

Old 02-08-2012, 07:54 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,837,761 times
Quote:
So does this mean that Jefferson would be happy with today's federal government?
They gave up their right to talk about government and its role to define social change by separating some people from others who were only a fraction of a person.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:06 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,425,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Frankly, I could care less what a slave owner who believed in the inherent inferiority of African people; who was an agronomic anti-industrialist would think 200 years after his death.
If, and only if, you are black, I could understand your sentiment. Based on your name, I assume you are. If your namesake was alive today it would be interesting to hear his thoughts.

Ironically, it is the very same constitution written by those founding fathers which has afforded the most freedom and protection to blacks. Countless practices or laws have rightly been deemed unconstitutional. Not withstanding the sentiment of some founding members, they were clear when they wrote "all men are created equal...".

Years later Lincoln reiterated that point, as did subsequent amendments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies