Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with the suspension of Roland Martin by CNN?
Yes 12 21.05%
No 42 73.68%
Not sure 3 5.26%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 12:23 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,727,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Huh? His joke was about men who do get excited by commercials featuring fit, attractive, underwear clad men and that if you encounter such a men, you should smack him. In other words, his joke was about homosexuals (the setup) and physically assaulting them (the punchline).

Earlier during the Superbowl he tweeted another joke about men who wear pink and that if you encounter them, you should whip their asses. What kind of men are regularly stereotyped as wearing pink? Is it gay men? In other words, another joke about homosexuals and physically assaulting them.

You might not take offense at such homophobic jokes, but can you see how a gay man might take offense? Can you especially see how a gay man who's been the victim of an anti-gay assault (or anyone who knows such a man) might take offense? Can you see how the parents of a gay teenager might take offense? (something like 2/3rds of students who are out as gay or are perceived to be gay during middle or high school report having been physically assaulted for it by other students)
It sounds like you don't have much familiarity with American heterosexual men. It's normal and natural for hetero guys to assert their masculinity when they're around each other. Making jokes about less masculine or less hetero guys is one way of doing that. It doesn't mean they're advocating violence against those people. It's just casual conversation that shouldn't be taken too seriously.

There's a very big difference between speech and acts of violence. My 80-year-old aunt occasionally sends me jokes that have something to do with homosexuals. Are you going to argue that she's advocating violence against me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 02:11 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,507,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
There's a very big difference between speech and acts of violence. My 80-year-old aunt occasionally sends me jokes that have something to do with homosexuals. Are you going to argue that she's advocating violence against me?
Roland Martin has 97,882 subscribers on Twitter. If your aunt sent out jokes about violence against anyone to 97,882 people she doesn't know, you might want at least to point out why it might not be a great idea.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:18 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,570,617 times
Quote:
msnbc.com Entertainment - CNN suspends commentator Roland Martin over Beckham ad tweets

Yes, I know CNN is a private company, and they can hire and fire whoever they want, but I still find it regrettable whenever someone is reprimanded or fired for simply making a statement in his private life that is considered controversial by some.

I love this!!

I can't stand this no-neck race baiter!!

But it's so sweet to see him get bitten by the same liberal beliefs he defends all the time!!!

He should not have been suspended. But I'm glad he was!!

Old 02-09-2012, 05:08 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,112,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
I love this!!

I can't stand this no-neck race baiter!!

But it's so sweet to see him get bitten by the same liberal beliefs he defends all the time!!!

He should not have been suspended. But I'm glad he was!!
Jebus!!!!....I've seen better heads on a cabbage truck!!! I didn't even know who he was till you posted this pic....he ain't going to live much longer with a head shaped like that...poor fella.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:39 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,465,031 times
More silliness
Roland Martin, GLAAD Meeting In Wake Of Martin's CNN Suspension

Quote:
CNN pundit Roland Martin announced on Wednesday night that he will meet with GLAAD, the gay rights group, in the wake of his suspension from the network over tweets many considered to be homophobic.

Martin was suspended indefinitely on Wednesday afternoon after the controversy surrounding his tweets from the Super Bowl --in which, among other things, he said that people should "smack the ish" out of any male fans of a David Beckham underwear commercial -- failed to dissipate.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:07 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,727,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Oh, this situation is just pukey.

I hope people don't assume that all gays are in sync with organizations like GLAAD and the Human Rights Campaign. I think they're a bunch of weenies.

I can see it now: Roland Martin will be the latest to make a public apology about how he didn't mean to hurt or offend anybody, yadda, yadda, yadda...

Old 02-10-2012, 04:29 AM

5,937 posts, read 4,714,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Huh? His joke was about men who do get excited by commercials featuring fit, attractive, underwear clad men and that if you encounter such a men, you should smack him. ...

You might not take offense at such homophobic jokes, but can you see how a gay man might take offense?
Proved my point for me. If someone WANTS to find a way to be offended, they will. You assumed it was a joke about homosexual men. If people in GLAAD weren't out LOOKING for ways to be offended, this would simply be another forgotten SB commercial.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:35 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,038,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Were his tweets part of his private life or a part of his job now, as it is with many people.
Does it really matter. I saw no insult. I dated a guy who
was an underwear model. I'd slap him too, if he was distracting me from the Giants win

Not crazy about him as a political commentator, but
they went way overboard here...

Old 02-10-2012, 04:41 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,038,229 times
Quote:
Oh, this situation is just pukey.

I hope people don't assume that all gays are in sync with organizations like GLAAD and the Human Rights Campaign. I think they're a bunch of weenies.

I can see it now: Roland Martin will be the latest to make a public apology about how he didn't mean to hurt or offend anybody, yadda, yadda, yadda...
They've learned "how to make money" like Jackson's
Rainbow Coalition. It's really not about individual/
human rights anymore. It's about the Ca Ching $$$

Old 02-10-2012, 05:20 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,348,068 times
And what did Roland say (tweet) that was homophobic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies