Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 11:34 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,370,853 times

Advertisements

This small business owner feels that his business hasn't been hurt by the health care reform law. Instead he has seen some benefits from it.

To those who disagree with this small business owner do you know of any businesses that are struggling because of health care reform?

Small Business Owner Speaks On "Obamacare" - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 10:36 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,370,853 times
Also I noticed that this business owner doesn't seem to have any issues with uncertainty related to this health care reform. Uncertainty related to health reform was said to be a hinderance to businesses. He basically says that his main concern like with other businesses is that he needs more customers.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:43 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,437,022 times
Who would complain about tax credits.....wait until all the penalties start to kick in....none of that has started yet.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:47 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
"Obama mentioned Houser in 2011 speech"

So we should give objective credibility to this guy why exactly?

Old 01-26-2012, 10:52 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,412,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
This small business owner feels that his business hasn't been hurt by the health care reform law. Instead he has seen some benefits from it.

To those who disagree with this small business owner do you know of any businesses that are struggling because of health care reform?
THIS small business owner is not "struggling" but I have issues with Obamacare. The senseless gutting of high-deductible health insurance combined with Health Savings Accounts has driven our premiums up significantly.

1. HD health plans were the one proven, real-world way to reduce health care costs. It makes no sense to wipe them out, if the objective is to actually hold down the rise in actual health care costs.

2. Aside from that, outlawing the right of an individual to pay simply pay cash for routine services is just plain flat un-American. Did our forefathers fight and die so that decades and centuries later, it would be illegal for a citizen to choose to pay cash for routine expenses? Good thing the Supreme Court will be looking at this.

3. The expense of covering young employees will double because of the "community rating" provisions of Obamacare. Instead of paying the actuarial costs of the young, rules that limit the spread between insureds of different ages will cause those for the young to spike. Too bad younger people by and large do not yet understand that another generational battle has been lost, to their detriment.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:57 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Also I noticed that this business owner doesn't seem to have any issues with uncertainty related to this health care reform. Uncertainty related to health reform was said to be a hinderance to businesses. He basically says that his main concern like with other businesses is that he needs more customers.
Of course. Truth is, most of this tripe about how it was going to hurt small business was a lie in the first place. Even the stuff about "uncertainty" sounded pretty damn specious.

But nevermind all that...folks will believe what they want to believe regardless.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:17 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,450,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
THIS small business owner is not "struggling" but I have issues with Obamacare. The senseless gutting of high-deductible health insurance combined with Health Savings Accounts has driven our premiums up significantly.

1. HD health plans were the one proven, real-world way to reduce health care costs. It makes no sense to wipe them out, if the objective is to actually hold down the rise in actual health care costs.
I searched for information about high-deductible plans under the Affordable Care Act, and found a number of resources that say the exact opposite of what you wrote above.

For example:

Quote:
Conservatives obviously don't like what they call "Obamacare" because they think it expands the role of government too much and spends too much money. But ironically, the Affordable Care Act (ACA) actually promotes -- though not explicitly -- something that has been a fundamental objective of conservatives in health care for years: high-deductible health plans with more "skin in the game."
See: Pulling It Together: What Conservatives Won In Health Reform (And Don’t Seem to Know It) - Kaiser Family Foundation

Old 01-26-2012, 01:22 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
I searched for information about high-deductible plans under the Affordable Care Act, and found a number of resources that say the exact opposite of what you wrote above.

For example:

See: Pulling It Together: What Conservatives Won In Health Reform (And Don’t Seem to Know It) - Kaiser Family Foundation
Maybe this article may shed some light on the high deductible plans and why they may not meet the Obamacare guidelines. (not mocking the plan but typing obamacare is much easier than the read bill name).

New HHS Regulation Will Endanger HSA, High-Deductible Plans, Make ObamaCare More Costly - Investors.com

Old 01-26-2012, 01:46 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
It's definitely going to cost my business more money. I have a small staff that works full-time and we work on projects. When I work on these projects, I hire contractors to work the surge. According to Obamacare, I will have to take the the aggreagate hours of these contractors and calculate the FTE rate. I have the choice then of offering all of the contractors health insurance (something I REALLY can't afford to do) or pay the fine (think it's $2K per FTE). So, I just got another new tax. Thanks Obamacare. I'm contemplating just getting my full-time employees down below 50 to deal with this situation. Oh, and did I mention the increase in health insurance? Just keeps getting better and better.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:48 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,412,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Maybe this article may shed some light on the high deductible plans and why they may not meet the Obamacare guidelines. (not mocking the plan but typing obamacare is much easier than the read bill name).

New HHS Regulation Will Endanger HSA, High-Deductible Plans, Make ObamaCare More Costly - Investors.com
Nice find, Happy Texan. Although this article documents one source of trouble for High Deductible plans, Gene also needs to consider this:

The theory behind high deductible health insurance is that NO BENEFITS are paid until the insured has met the deductible. Obamacare requires ALL POLICIES to cover routine and preventive care 100%, NO DEDUCTIBLE OR COPAY. Obamacare rewrote my policy.

So my "high deductible" coverage got modified by Obamacare into "no deductible" coverage for a bunch of expenses--and my premiums went up 40%. Say whatever you want, Obamacare outlawed my ability to choose to pay cash for routine and preventive services. It mandates that I run these expenses through the insurance company whether I want to or not, and suffer the additional overhead expense.

I guess I should be glad that Obamacare didn't require insurance companies to provide "free" limousine service back and forth to all medical appointments--since I do have a basic understanding of how costs get allocated.

We all heard the President say, a thousand times, "If you like your health plan, you can keep it." Well, I liked my plan, and it got clobbered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies