Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 01:19 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,699,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The Florida Restaurant and Lodging Association is urging legislators to pass the bill. The trade group says Florida's tipped minimum is crippling eateries financially, causing companies to cut back workforces and open fewer restaurants in Florida.

Combined with rising costs of food, insurance and implementing the new federal health-care law, "it's going to be a matter of time before the back of this industry breaks," said Carol Dover, chief executive officer of the trade group. "Minimum wage is killing them."
Senate bill could cut servers' hourly wages - OrlandoSentinel.com

This is such garbage. They're already paying restaurant workers less than the minimum wage, and now they want to cut that by more than 50%?

If they can't afford to pay their workers a decent minimum wage, they shouldn't be in business at all. What's next? Will they eliminate the minimum wage completely? If this passes, I hope the workers walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 01:23 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,208,846 times
The wingnuts would have all of us working without the protection of a minimum wage law. You know, those regulations just hinder companies from their goal, PROFITS FOR SHAREHOLDERS.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:23 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,576,981 times
Well wait and see how many quit to find better paying jobs.
Let the workers speak volumes by quitting.

That would send a bigger message then crying to your elected official for the government to step in and "do something".

People need to start ACTING here and stop wanting government to fix their every little problem.

When you have no workers you won't have customers. When you have no customers you have no revenue.

We'll see if people stand up to the system here.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:27 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,576,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
The wingnuts would have all of us working without the protection of a minimum wage law. You know, those regulations just hinder companies from their goal, PROFITS FOR SHAREHOLDERS.
This didn't originate with politicians but the restaurant association.
Business is initiating this.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:29 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,489,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Senate bill could cut servers' hourly wages - OrlandoSentinel.com

This is such garbage. They're already paying restaurant workers less than the minimum wage, and now they want to cut that by more than 50%?

If they can't afford to pay their workers a decent minimum wage, they shouldn't be in business at all. What's next? Will they eliminate the minimum wage completely? If this passes, I hope the workers walk.
But they deserve it because they're not "job creators". Job creators are the only ones who deserve any kind of break from the government. Everyone else...screw 'em.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:30 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,223,064 times
That's the wage in Georgia for most waiters and waitresses.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:34 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,619,716 times
Quote:
I make significantly higher income than minimum wage. Why? Is my employer more charitable? Do I work for my mom?

No.

It is because the value of what I can do commands the money I make. My employer could not hire someone competent for less money. Sure, they could go offer some teenager minimum wage to do my job, but they'd be wholly unable to do so.

What is my point?

Everything has a natural value. An ounce of gold costs what it costs because it's worth what it's worth. An hour of my labor is worth more than minimum wage. But what if an hour of somebodies labor is not? Artifically increasing the cost when compared to the value manipulates the market, and increases unemployment.

Just as you would not buy something if you thought it was too expensive, neither will employers.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:37 PM

19,859 posts, read 12,136,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
That's the wage in Georgia for most waiters and waitresses.
According to the article, "the bill would slash Florida's minimum wage for tipped workers - now $4.65 an hour - to the federal tipped minimum of $2.13 for companies that agree to guarantee that with wages and tips their employees will make at least $9.98 an hour."

Old 02-11-2012, 01:42 PM

46,328 posts, read 27,166,761 times
Quote:
Yeppp only wingnuts....to bad all the dems also voted for it...

Florida House Of Representatives - HB 7201 - Economic Development (http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/sections/Bills/billsdetail.aspx?BillId=44580 - broken link)

But hey....whatever it takes to slam a repub before doing a little research....

Old 02-11-2012, 01:42 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,762,627 times
Yet it's the liberals who want to bring in countless cheap illegals who would of course GLADLY work for $2.13 an hour, and the liberals who are promising illegals if they only get here they will be rewarded with amnesty. Just luring in the dirt cheap workers who make the greedy business owners very rich. Can we say "hypocrisy"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies