Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 12:39 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,989,335 times

Advertisements

I don't see that this is a problem because they do this this sort of surgery at places like Barnes Jewish Hospital in St Louis MO and Long Island Jewish Hospital in New York as well as Cedars-Sinai Hosiptal in LA. Jewish Rabbis are smart guys and probably ruled that the pig valve dosn't violate Kosher Diet Laws because it isn't eaten! You'd be amazed as to what has gotten into the Talmud over these thousands of years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 12:55 AM

391 posts, read 513,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
I don't see that this is a problem because they do this this sort of surgery at places like Barnes Jewish Hospital in St Louis MO and Long Island Jewish Hospital in New York as well as Cedars-Sinai Hosiptal in LA. Jewish Rabbis are smart guys and probably ruled that the pig valve dosn't violate Kosher Diet Laws because it isn't eaten! You'd be amazed as to what has gotten into the Talmud over these thousands of years.
Ok, agreed it isn't eaten. But there are oral medications that contain un-kosher materials. Should there be medications not covered because they violate kosher laws? Are any other religious groups jumping on this bandwagon? What are some of the senerios that could come up? I won't an employee's coverage of x because MY religion finds it offensive or violates MY moral beliefs? No blood transfusions. Pray that the cancer is cured. That medication gives him an erection, but, he's not married? I wonder if that one will come up?

Old 02-15-2012, 01:10 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,506,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiteacher View Post
Should an employee of a Jewish organization be denied coverage for a heart valve replacement because it isn't kosher? Or should a Jewish hospital refuse to do this same poceedure?
That is up to the person who is receiving the valve. If he doesn't want it then he should not be forced to get it. If the hospital doesn't want to do the operation I am sure many other hospitals would be glad to do it.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:02 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,600,592 times
Quote:
Sorry, maybe I should have made the point that many valve replacements use pig valves. Therefore they aren't kosher and against Jewish kosher laws.
Actually, there are three types. Mechanical which is plastic. Pig, which is the standard. Cow valves are also used. So a person that needs it to be completely kosher can use one of the other two.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:12 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,413 times
Jews don't have a problem with pig heart valves. The OP does not understand Judaism. The principle of saving a life applies. Any rabbi will say get the replacement even if made from a pig. Jews value life above the rules of kosher. You can do things like break the shabbos if it involves saving a life.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:34 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,989,335 times
Quote:
Ok, agreed it isn't eaten. But there are oral medications that contain un-kosher materials. Should there be medications not covered because they violate kosher laws? Are any other religious groups jumping on this bandwagon? What are some of the senerios that could come up? I won't an employee's coverage of x because MY religion finds it offensive or violates MY moral beliefs? No blood transfusions. Pray that the cancer is cured. That medication gives him an erection, but, he's not married? I wonder if that one will come up?

An interesting example of a medication that is derived from Pork by products is the anti-clotting agent Heprin which is an extract produced from pig intestines. About 90 % of the world's supply comes from one country (Not the USA) which conincidentaly is the worlds largest producer and consummer of pork and has the skilled labor to do the separations needed to separate it from the pig guts. They also work pretty cheap. If you guessed it it comes from China so we Americans totally dependent on the high standards of Chinese pharma. So if you are a stroke victim, have any medical procedure where clotting is a possible complication, have deep vein thrombossis, any embolisim a heart attack the choice is often heprin or the last rites. I am a dialysis patient and get a heprin shot 3 times a week. Stories of counterfit drugs from China make me nervous.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:39 PM

391 posts, read 513,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Jews don't have a problem with pig heart valves. The OP does not understand Judaism. The principle of saving a life applies. Any rabbi will say get the replacement even if made from a pig. Jews value life above the rules of kosher. You can do things like break the shabbos if it involves saving a life.
Thank you. I you are right in saying that I am not complete in the understanding of Judiac Laws. I was only trying to make the point that there are many intricacies of religious laws that may cause; say a politican; to try and make a policy that does not intentionally "make war" against said religion, and therefore should not been seen as such.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:40 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Yawn.

The government should not mandate that any religious/faith based organization be forced to provide insurance coverage or services which are contrary to its religious teachings.
Why condescending with the yawn. Just move on and don't post.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:45 PM

58 posts, read 135,234 times
Are Jewish hospitals cheaper because they have Jews in them or higher because they have Jews in them?

Old 02-15-2012, 09:49 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,857,172 times
What is the difference between karate and judo?

One is a martial art, the other is something you make bagels out of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies