Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 12:06 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,913,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Now there is something that kid could have done. Sing off key on those words loudly enough that people could hear him. Yeah, I think that is a good idea.
Spoil the activity for everyone else. Sounds like a selfish idea to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 12:06 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,304,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I've read these boards for quite a few years and have never seen a pattern like 'christian equals bad; islam equals good.

Nope, never.
I've only been here for just over 2 years but have seen that pattern almost all of them. It seems very sad that liberals are willing to go along with Muslims in getting the US destroyed because when it happens the Muslims will start cutting the heads of their former supporters off with mine.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
No, I don't believe anyone is saying that. I think the issue is, if a song with a christian message is allowed, then what is the problem with a song with a message reflecting a different religion?

If it bothers the kid that much, then he can just do what I do when I find myself somewhere were the pledge of allegiance is being said (usually at a school function) - when it gets to the part about "one nation under god," I just don't say.....anything. I'll recite it up to that point and after, but I will not recite "one nation under god."

I do have to admit, though, that when I go to my son's school band concerts and there are songs with any kind of a religious theme - hard to avoid at the Christmas concert, in particular - it bothers me a little bit. Not a huge issue, and one I won't even have to think about after he graduates next year, but still a bit of an issue since I tend to believe that NO songs with a religious message OF ANY KIND should be allowed in a public school program.
I think you just revealed part of the reason that i seldom listen to the words of any songs, only the instrumental part. I am sometimes amazed at how many of my favorites I just don't know the words of.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:12 PM

26,579 posts, read 14,474,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
May the Lord rebuke those that worship false gods and lead others into sin.
would the god of abraham be the correct one to worship?

Old 02-16-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Hmmm, it's interesting that certain idiots are unable to understand that an EXTRACURRICULAR activity is EXTRACURRICULAR. Outside the curriculum. Not part of the curriculum. Not graded. No school credit awarded for participation.

The choir sings competitively. The song choice was about showcasing the students singing abilities, not about religion in any way. The students were given the option of not singing certain parts of the program. This student decided that not only would he not sing certain parts of the program, but he wouldn't sing at all. That's his choice. And it's the choice of the other members of the choir to sing and to compete.
You forced me to go back and read the OP link because I hadn't. While I was reading it I had to wonder what is so bad about this kid doing what he did when parents continue to howl about the Pledge of Allegiance. Kids don't get graded for not saying those words their parents just can't stand whether in class or outside.

Your argument was good but you failed to mention the second question the OP asked.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
So, the students were:

1. Not required to participate in the choir
2. Got no academic credit for participating
3. Were shown performances of the song in question
4. Were given translated lyrics of the song in question
5. Said song was written for a movie, not worship
6. Performances were not limited to any particular religious theme

I don't see the problem here.

Besides, "Allah" means "God", and Islam is also an Abrahamic religion - isn't that the same God that Christians worship? Sans Christ, of course, but God the Father? Same as Yahweh. So some of you are saying that worshiping the same God in another language (even though it's not a worship song) is worshipping false gods? Interesting.

Don't worry, I don't expect any coherent answers, just a bunch of sputtering "you stupid liberal, you are wrong", so I'm not getting my hopes up.
In this case two separate religious books are the ones about how to worship the god and they surely weren't written by the same people and one of them calls on its people to kill all those who don't believe in it and its tenets. Can you guess which one that is?

Old 02-16-2012, 12:26 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,418,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Hmm, it's interesting the people defending the praise Allah song being included in a public school choir include some who say no to religious themed Christmas songs at public schools. Christian=bad; Islam=good as far as liberals are concerned.
I think who cares about the OP's post, but I also told a group of people in my state how stupid it was that they cancelled Santa photos at a public school because a Jewish mother complained. Most liberals on this topic just don't care...despite how you want to paint them. And a lot of liberals are Christian.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Besides this not being a separation of church and state issue, the kid is under the mistaken impression that he's in a Christian choir --- "I think there would be a lot of outrage if we made a Muslim choir say Jesus Christ is the only truth."

He should stick to a church choir.
Do you have any figures concerning the number of Musllms that live in Grand Junction, or the numbers of them in the school or the choir? Please shout them out since if the number is zero in the case of the choir or the school the boy is singing in a Christian dominated group.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:29 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,845,020 times
Quote:
In this case two separate religious books are the ones about how to worship the god and they surely weren't written by the same people and one of them calls on its people to kill all those who don't believe in it and its tenets. Can you guess which one that is?
Are you suggesting that when we use "One Nation under God", we're basically endorsing Christianity as a state religion as it must exclude God by any other name and for any other religion?

Old 02-16-2012, 12:31 PM

588 posts, read 1,015,718 times
Quote:
It seems very sad that liberals are willing to go along with Muslims in getting the US destroyed because when it happens the Muslims will start cutting the heads of their former supporters off with mine.
What's sad is that you think what you've described above is actually a reasonable possibility. You are caught in ignorance-based fear, you can't see that what muslims do is virtually identical to what christians do, both the good parts and the bad parts. Isn't religion supposed to bring people together in celebration of the magical experience of life, and give a sense of humility before your creator? Why does all that go down the toilet when it's virtually the same celebration, virtually the same creator, and only thru random chance and the course of history over thousands of years, has grown into different dialects of the same language? Because their made-up prophet isn't the same as your made-up prophet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies