Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 04:30 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times

Advertisements

interesting too that the board software censors out a perfectly polite English word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 04:38 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
interesting too that the board software censors out a perfectly polite English word.
*****rdly? That's censored out? It's not even spelled the same. Geez.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
LOL, and if Rush Limbaugh had said it?
...he shouldn't be fired either. But as pointed out, Rush has already said as worse.

Moreover, i'm not the great defender of Asians. If they find this so offensive, they'll take care of the problem without my input. They're already on the job about the Hoekstra commercial.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:47 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,098,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
What group is that? Drug abusers?
No, White males are the only group legally discriminated against. Nice joke, "bro".

Old 02-18-2012, 04:48 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,098,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Find the homonym in "nappy headed hoes," and i'll agree with you. Besides, i wasn't an advocate of Imus getting fired.

Limbaugh got fired because he's an idiot....and because he brought race up on a topic where it didn't apply. I wasn't an advocate of him being fired either.
What does a homonym have anything to do with anything. In today's politically correct atmosphere, "*****" is unacceptable, all semantics aside.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:55 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,034,297 times
If you want to bother about this whole Linsanity thing, you can go in a lot of different directions. For one thing, he apparently has top level NBA talent, yet he was "overlooked" by NBA scouts. Virtually everyone says that at least part of the reason Lin was overlooked was his ethnic background. As the experts have said (to paraphrase); As a player whose ethnicity is Asian, Lin did not fit the normal profile for an NBA player.

I could give you another word for it. But since those who did the "overlooking" were everyday people who have never discriminated consciously, or overtly, the word I'm thinking of is not used. But make no mistake, the word applies.

Floyd Meriweather said, "JeremyLinis a good player but all the hype is because he's Asian." Meriweather rightly got a lot of heat for what he said. But how is the statement so much different than the actions of scouts who "overlooked" Lin and his obvious talents simply because he is Asian? In most ways Meriweather's statement is more benign than the actions, or non-actions, of those NBA scouts who thought that Lin was not worth drafting because he is Asian.

It all goes to show that racism has many appearances.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:04 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Find the homonym in "nappy headed hoes," and i'll agree with you. Besides, i wasn't an advocate of Imus getting fired.

Limbaugh got fired because he's an idiot....and because he brought race up on a topic where it didn't apply. I wasn't an advocate of him being fired either.
This would be interestingly germane to the conversation. I'm actually shocked at HOW MANY controversies surround this.

The racist illiterates in DC that fired the first guy after an internal review actually had HIM apologizing by the end of it. How the HECK do you have a review and then fire the guy for using the word? Oh well at least he apologized.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controv...22*****rdly%22

P.S. This isn't directed at you, it's meant to just parallel the conversation. I find you to be pretty reasonable about these things. (unlike the guy that keeps defending Kilpatrick lol)

Old 02-18-2012, 05:17 PM

1,081 posts, read 916,421 times
Quote:
Ehhh....oversight. This can happen when a word is a homonym. Not a big deal. Issue an apology and move on.
If the guy was black and espn said he showed up in spades you'd be hollering.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:26 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,485,145 times
I don't think it was a mistake, I think it was too irresistible to not run it.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
If the guy was black and espn said he showed up in spades you'd be hollering.
Again, i'll repeat myself just so you understand: don't confuse my non-willingness to be a mealy-mouthed negro with your own stupid notions that i call people racists undeservedly.

And again, there are a sh*tload of racial topics like this one....find the post where i've shown a complete lack of magnanimity towards someone making a slip of the tongue. It should be quite easy to find seeing as how you supposedly know my stance on these issues.

I'll apologize when you find it. Now git ta' searchin'. You won't find it, and i hope you have some hair left once you start pulling it all out looking for my comments.

BTW...."showed up in spades?" You're trying too hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies