Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2012, 10:35 AM

15,092 posts, read 8,634,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
You just can't face the facts. People who want jobs today can get them. Just like in the past. Winners find jobs wherever they can and make the best of it. Losers whine and sit on the sidelines.

"Employers had 3.4 million job openings at the end of December, up 258,000 since November for the biggest gain since February 2011, the Labor Department reported Tuesday.

There are lots of jobs available in professional and business services, an area that includes about 17 million of the 132.4 million working Americans. Employers there are looking for about 3.6 workers for every 100 they have now and hired 787,000 people in December, down from 845,000 in November."

More job openings, but job hunters don't have skills needed
No ... you can't face the facts that you're being lied to, or you can't read. But don't worry, you'll get it sooner or later.

From your own link:

"There are 3.9 unemployed workers for every available job, down from nearly 7-to-1 in late 2009 but still more than twice as many as before the recession."

To decipher the above for you ... even if all 3.9 had the skills for every available job, 75% of them are %$^ out of luck. And the big improvement from 7 jobless for every 1 job, down to 3.9 to 1 doesn't mean that 4.1 got jobs ... they just quit ramming their heads against a brick wall ... which is painful for those who don't have heads made of cinder block.

But for some .... even 3.9 is almost like a bonanza:

"Some industries hit hard by post-2007 job losses are still hiring much more slowly than employers as a whole. Construction companies have only 1.3 jobs available for every 100 people who work in the industry, about half as many as in the broader economy."

I think this is a clever use of words that actually means that for unemployed construction workers, they have a 1.3 % chance of finding work ... or, three times as $%# out of luck as the other "losers", if that's even relevant, since $#% out of luck really doesn't need a multiplier.

But it's not all good news ....

"There are lots of jobs available in professional and business services, an area that includes about 17 million of the 132.4 million working Americans. Employers there are looking for about 3.6 workers for every 100 they have now and hired 787,000 people in December, down from 845,000 in November."

In this valuable sector that comprises 12% of the workforce, they can't find qualified applicants for the 3.6 % openings they have. Of course, it's the unemployed "plumber" who has only himself to blame for not having 10 years experience as an "Enterprise Level Network Security Architect" ... serves him right for making sure your toilet remained functioning for the past 10 years. Eff him ... right?

But hey ... there are lots of jobs, but just too many dumb arses who don't have the skills to do them. Tell that to the 100 applicants that apply to McDonalds for every 1 opening ... did you know McDonalds is now one of the few fast food chains that boast that 2 out of every 10 new burger flippers hired are college graduates?

You want fries with that?

I swear, some people just have to be literally inside the bell before they hear it ring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 10:49 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
That's probably not BS. What's changed is probably the expectations of college graduates. Seriously, a lot of these kids will scoff or be crestfallen if you explain to them that they are NOT going to land a gig straight out of school that pays $200K for a 35 hour work week and 6 weeks vacation. Ask some of these kids with no property, no children and no encumbrances other than student debt why they will not accept "this job that pays $45k but involves living in (someplace other than NYC, LA, Chicago, San Fran, Miami, Dallas, etc.) and working weekends" and see what answers you get. I've heard things like "I don't want to get stuck doing that", "that doesn't have anything to do with what I studied", "I need to be in NY" etc. etc.

That's obviously not always the case, but kids lean heavily on crutches like "global recession" when there are lots of opportunities, especially if those opportunities are not conventionally sexy.
Why not?
That is what they've been promised isn't it?

That's why they did all the extracurriculars and the volunteering and took all those AP classes, etc. to pad their transcripts.
If none of that stuff pays off, then of course they are going to be bitter and disillusioned.
And to top it all off, now they are stuck with the bills and have no way to repay them.

I'd say that deck was pretty nicely stacked, wouldn't you?

Old 02-23-2012, 11:24 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Why not?
That is what they've been promised isn't it?

That's why they did all the extracurriculars and the volunteering and took all those AP classes, etc. to pad their transcripts.
If none of that stuff pays off, then of course they are going to be bitter and disillusioned.
And to top it all off, now they are stuck with the bills and have no way to repay them.

I'd say that deck was pretty nicely stacked, wouldn't you?
Well guess what, you can either be bitter and cry about it or you can do something about it. I used to have that kind of attitude, "oh woe is me, what's the point of trying in uni if there aren't any jobs," then I realized that it's a defeatist mentality. Yeah, I will probably make AT MOST $50K a year right out of college but that's still a pretty damn good salary considering I won't necessarily have tons of skills or experience. It's gonna be hard work, but then my parents had to work damn hard to get to where they are today as well.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:37 AM

576 posts, read 586,169 times
I'm 29, does that count?

My dream is to be able to keep more than ~60% of the money that I earned rather than have it go to taxes.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:54 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThrillIsGone View Post
I'm 29, does that count?

My dream is to be able to keep more than ~60% of the money that I earned rather than have it go to taxes.
Don't we all!

Old 02-23-2012, 12:09 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,312,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
I find it down right insulting that you blame a group of people that you obviously know nothing about for your troubles. Life isn't fair. It wasn't fair to the boomers, and it's not being fair to you now. Growing UP isn't about growing old.... it's about character, responsibility for your own actions, and telling the truth. Maybe if you would grow up people, no matter what their age, wouldn't ask you that question.

Allow me to point out the fallacies in your argument.

You're comparing nowadays to days that pre-date 2000? We're $15 trillion and on the fast track to $20 trillion (min.) in federal debt. America will have to consume less in order to be in the "black" again one day. Keep in mind that this will happen after the Greek-style riots, one potus after another failing at political toothfairy, and hyperinflation.

Under older folks' leadership, we have witness infrastructure crumble, a once proud pub. ed. system decline, Drug gangs/cartels run buck wild (Mexico can attest to this), and college tuition increasing exponentially.

Instead of beating up on the young folks, how about the older folks take responsibility for supporting this system? Even George Carlin knew that.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Don't get your panties in a wad. It's no different now than when I got my first job 40 years ago. I started off as a clerk in an insurance company making peanuts. Ended up a Sr Exec doing quite well financially.

Millions of us had to do this over the past few decades. It's really nothing new.

Thomas Sowell and Walter Williams strongly disagree. Peter Schiff while we're at it.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:18 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
Allow me to point out the fallacies in your argument.

You're comparing nowadays to days that pre-date 2000? We're $15 trillion and on the fast track to $20 trillion (min.) in federal debt. America will have to consume less in order to be in the "black" again one day. Keep in mind that this will happen after the Greek-style riots, one potus after another failing at political toothfairy, and hyperinflation.

Under older folks' leadership, we have witness infrastructure crumble, a once proud pub. ed. system decline, Drug gangs/cartels run buck wild (Mexico can attest to this), and college tuition increasing exponentially.

Instead of beating up on the young folks, how about the older folks take responsibility for supporting this system? Even George Carlin knew that.
And when will the young folks admit that *gasp* at one time we boomers were their age and facing the EXACT same things. The "Greatest Generation" and the "Silent Generation" were controlling things when we were in our youth, yet they single out one generation while failing to admit that they shoulder any blame. They have their problems too, and the generation behind them is just too young to be pointing it out to them yet. Karma... it's a *****...

Old 02-23-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Here we go again.....

Yeah, we're magically in trillions of debt for nothing.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:25 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Well guess what, you can either be bitter and cry about it or you can do something about it. I used to have that kind of attitude, "oh woe is me, what's the point of trying in uni if there aren't any jobs," then I realized that it's a defeatist mentality. Yeah, I will probably make AT MOST $50K a year right out of college but that's still a pretty damn good salary considering I won't necessarily have tons of skills or experience. It's gonna be hard work, but then my parents had to work damn hard to get to where they are today as well.
Missed my point.
My point was not that people were told that there were/are no jobs, but that they were told that they would have their choice of jobs if they followed all the rules.

Of course many did not do their due diligence with regard to majors and of course many were lulled into complacency by parents, advisors and others who never took the time to explain the simple realities of the work force as it pertains to non-legacy, everyday citizens.
Sad, but, here we are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies