Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 10:58 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,561,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I am not 'disparaging the arts'. I am just saying leisure activities such as art or music are less important than financial education
I'd also add civics as well. When I took comparative politics about tenth of the class had no idea how many Senators each state had. They didn't understand at all how federalism worked in the United States. My Professor had to explain to them how are government works before we could move on to studying other governments...even after doing that of those ten students only one didn't end up dropping the class due to lack of knowledge about the US government and not comprehending the similarities and differences between other governments to the U.S. government. Let alone understand the difference between interstate and intrastate commerce. When he asked them who provided the most funding for education the states or the federal government they said the federal government even though the federal government contributes less than 10% to any state's education budget. So its not surprising people go running to the federal government complaining about problems and get angry when they don't get resolved because they don't know what is a federal, state, or local government issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 11:32 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,988,735 times
Katiana"So you let the taxpayers pay off your student loans. Great scam! "

Calling military service a scam is disgraceful. Far more kids COULD sign up, than do sign up. They'd rather whine at CWS rallies looking for a bailout. I'm delighted there is no chance in hell of such an atrocity as a no questions asked bailout to occur. If they were too STUPID to understand the meaning of the word loan, they should not have graduated from high school, let alone gone to college. To not understand that makes them a MORON.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
To pay for a car in cash: Save up money from summer/nighttime/weekend jobs and buy a $2000 junker. Drive it for a year or two while you save up money for something better.

I am not 'disparaging the arts'. I am just saying leisure activities such as art or music are less important than financial education which will keep food on your families table. I am surprised you would feel differently.

So with your last pathetically passive aggressive statement, are you claiming that an 18 year old who knows how to invest properly does not have an advantage in today's society?

Also, please answer this, if you truly want people to 'live within their means' as you stated, I assume that means you are 100% for cutting social security, given that program does not operate within its means. I am curious if you want to actually live within your means, or just give that statement lip service.
Are you getting a charley horse from all that twisting? Need to go to sleep b/c you're getting tired from insulting me? I"ll take on the social security issue first. I said absolutely NOTHING about SS in this thread, which is, after all, about student loans. The solvency or lack thereof of SS has nothing to do with someone living within their means. It's taken out of your check. You have no choice. You have to live on what's left. I'm not getting involved in another hijack started by someone else.

Re: the car issue-what happens when the old clunker goes and you are just graduating from grad school and have virtually no money available? Oh, right, you shouldn't have lived like that, you should do this, that, the other that a "brillian mind" can dream up.

For every problem, there exists a simple and elegant solution which is absolutely wrong.

- J. Wagoner, U.C.B. Mathematics

What is important to people is an indivdual decision. I am surprised you don't understand that. In any event, I had some of that financial education as I said, and so did my kids. We also had art and music.

Philosophy Quotes - Literary Quotes About Philosophy and Practically Everything Else (http://quotes.prolix.nu/Philosophy/ - broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
I'd also add civics as well. When I took comparative politics about tenth of the class had no idea how many Senators each state had. They didn't understand at all how federalism worked in the United States. My Professor had to explain to them how are government works before we could move on to studying other governments...even after doing that of those ten students only one didn't end up dropping the class due to lack of knowledge about the US government and not comprehending the similarities and differences between other governments to the U.S. government. Let alone understand the difference between interstate and intrastate commerce. When he asked them who provided the most funding for education the states or the federal government they said the federal government even though the federal government contributes less than 10% to any state's education budget. So its not surprising people go running to the federal government complaining about problems and get angry when they don't get resolved because they don't know what is a federal, state, or local government issue.
Let me ask you: Did you actually go to school in the US? When I was in 9th grade, back when Kennedy was president, we studied civics in Pennsylvania. In the late 90s/early 2000s, my kids studied civics in high school in Colorado. It is a standard part of high school curriculum in the US.

"tenth of the class"? I don't understand what you're trying to say.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Katiana"So you let the taxpayers pay off your student loans. Great scam! "

Calling military service a scam is disgraceful. Far more kids COULD sign up, than do sign up. They'd rather whine at CWS rallies looking for a bailout. I'm delighted there is no chance in hell of such an atrocity as a no questions asked bailout to occur. If they were too STUPID to understand the meaning of the word loan, they should not have graduated from high school, let alone gone to college. To not understand that makes them a MORON.
I said it was sarcasm. I thanked the poster for his service. I also did not call his military service a scam. My point is that many of these people who say "I paid mine off, blah, blah" often had someone else paying them off, in this case, by forgiveness. A secondary point is that the military is NOT the employer of last resort. Not everyone can do it. It's not the ultimate answer.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Let me ask you: Did you actually go to school in the US? When I was in 9th grade, back when Kennedy was president, we studied civics in Pennsylvania. In the late 90s/early 2000s, my kids studied civics in high school in Colorado. It is a standard part of high school curriculum in the US.
Yes I went to school in the US in Pennsylvania as well. I do remember going over the presidential system, federalism, the legislature, etc. But that was 8 years prior to when I was sitting in the comparative politics course. Also civics classes have been dropped throughout the United States over the years. This isn't unique to Pennsylvania but a nationwide occurrence. You can Google plenty of information about it.

Quote:
"tenth of the class"? I don't understand what you're trying to say.
One out of every ten students in that class knew nothing about how the U.S. government worked that is what I'm saying.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Yes I went to school in the US in Pennsylvania as well. I do remember going over the presidential system, federalism, the legislature, etc. But that was 8 years prior to when I was sitting in the comparative politics course. Also civics classes have been dropped throughout the United States over the years. This isn't unique to Pennsylvania but a nationwide occurrence. You can Google plenty of information about it.

One out of every ten students in that class knew nothing about how the U.S. government worked that is what I'm saying.
My kids graduated from high school in 2002 and 2005. They had civics. It was called "government".

NACE : Civic Requirements & Guidelines
Today, 29 states require high school students to take a course in government or civics.

Nearly every state and the District of Columbia have also instituted standards that in some way incorporate civics content. Twenty-three states and the District of Columbia present their civics standards as explicit standards within their social studies standards and three states (Arkansas, Colorado and Vermont) have separate civics standards. Another 18 states integrate civics topics into their social studies or other subject standards.6

Old 02-27-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
My kids graduated from high school in 2002 and 2005. They had civics. It was called "government".

NACE : Civic Requirements & Guidelines
Today, 29 states require high school students to take a course in government or civics.

Nearly every state and the District of Columbia have also instituted standards that in some way incorporate civics content. Twenty-three states and the District of Columbia present their civics standards as explicit standards within their social studies standards and three states (Arkansas, Colorado and Vermont) have separate civics standards. Another 18 states integrate civics topics into their social studies or other subject standards.6
Yeah twenty three states not fifty unfortunately which it used to be. As far as how they are integrated I would take it from the kids in that course they were taught how to spell Senator and that was it. I'm not joking they were completely clueless about the US government.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Yeah twenty three states not fifty unfortunately which it used to be. As far as how they are integrated I would take it from the kids in that course they were taught how to spell Senator and that was it. I'm not joking they were completely clueless about the US government.
How do you know how it "used to be"? There have never been any national standards in education.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
How do you know how it "used to be"? There have never been any national standards in education.
No their is no national standard regarding civics, but every state did teach civics at one point which is not the case anymore.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
No their is no national standard regarding civics, but every state did teach civics at one point which is not the case anymore.
Link?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies