Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 04:31 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well we are #36 worldwide in math skills and fall lower each time the test is given. So there might be some truth to your statement.

In 2003 we were #25.
Good, now just post the evidence that eliminating the DoE and handing things over to state/local governments would improve those numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Then start your own thread about it.
BULL! I responded to a post implying the federal government was at fault. If you're just peeved because I'm not supporting your position. tough! It's not your thread to start with.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:35 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,853,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
I agree about it being an utter waster of money. My sister teaches 8th grade writing. You wouldn't believe the waste of money that occurs in her area at the administrative level. It's absolutely ridiculous!! And some of the teachers are worthless . . . some, not all.

But this is same old, same old. The OP is talking about what the 2012 GOP candidates are saying and how what they say demonizes not just teachers, specially, but learning generally. What Santorum says about the "Father of Lies" working through the "pride of smart people" doesn't just condemn certain practices in the educational system, whether at the elementary, secondary, or post-secondary level, but learning generally. He's essentially saying that reason is the work of the Devil. That is a whole other level of critique--fear-mongering really--than those critiques that argue that the educational system has severe problems.
I know this might come as a shock to you BUT Rick Santorum doesn't represent all Republicans and he certainly doesn't represent conservatives. You can keep reciting one line taken from a 3 year old Rick Santorum speech to a religious audience and act like it represents 100% of the conservative or GOP voters in this country but it doesn't. Rick Santorum isn't even leading the GOP nomination right now and you're acting like he's already won an election and represents this country.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
BULL! I responded to a post implying the federal government was at fault. If you're just peeved because I'm not supporting your position. tough! It's not your thread to start with.
I couldn't care less, I'm just pointing out that you're completely off topic and you shouldn't be confused as to why people aren't responding to your questions. Start your own thread about the DOD and I'm sure people will reply to your rants.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I couldn't care less, I'm just pointing out that you're completely off topic and you shouldn't be confused as to why people aren't responding to your questions. Start your own thread about the DOD and I'm sure people will reply to your rants.
Oh, open your damn eyes! IF I'm OT I was responsing to an OT post, the one you make no mention of. Your personal bias here would be painfully obvious to a blind man.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
I know this might come as a shock to you BUT Rick Santorum doesn't represent all Republicans and he certainly doesn't represent conservatives. You can keep reciting one line taken from a 3 year old Rick Santorum speech to a religious audience and act like it represents 100% of the conservative or GOP voters in this country but it doesn't. Rick Santorum isn't even leading the GOP nomination right now and you're acting like he's already won an election and represents this country.
So who does represent conservatives?

Old 02-24-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
So who does represent conservatives?
100%? Nobody. That's like asking who does represent Liberals, that's not an easy question to answer and it'll be different for every person.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:59 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Students unite , demand good teachers not good unions.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:04 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times
Quote:
Really, in the scheme of things is anyone really leading the GOP nomination? Isn't that the problem that the Republican party is having right now. And notice that I never used the word "Republican" in any of my comments. Where do you think that the majority of the support for Santorum is coming from? Typically not from people who are mainstream Republicans. Consequently, isn't it more likely that people who identify as "conservative," are the major supporters of Santorum?

As to the 3-year old comments from Santorum about the "pride of smart people," here's some more recent stuff:

Santorum: Obama College Plan Aimed at

Rick Santorum plays to conservative base in Ohio - latimes.com (http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-gop-race-20120219,0,2831889.story - broken link)

Santorum: Higher Education a Plot to Secularize America | Mother Jones

Let's face it, after Bush and Palin, it's hard to ignore the fact that the GOP works very hard to undermine the importance of knowledge. (And I'm not saying that as a smart*ass.) Given that the economy is driven by knowledge, that knowledge is the most valuable commodity at this point, the undermining of reason for the sake of faith is incredibly dangerous for our country.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:07 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,335,790 times
GOP: Just say no to teacher's unions and the Dept. of Education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies