Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 07:38 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I think the students should play a part in rating a teacher and if they should be kept in the classroom to teach. They should give a questionaire to each student to describe the teachers ability to teach, explain, have good rapport with the students .

I know I had some great teachers, some good teachers and teachers who didn't like kids or acted like they didn't and were so strict one couldn't even approach them with a question.

So why shouldn't students have a say? I doubt any student would bad mouth a great teacher. I know if a teacher was getting the kids motivated to learn they were always well liked by all students.
Oh definitely. Have your annual assessment of your job be determined by 25 6 year olds. Great idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 08:11 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Oh definitely. Have your annual assessment of your job be determined by 25 6 year olds. Great idea.
I am talking about older students..ones that are quite capable to knowing if a teacher is getting the students motivated and are learning. I don't think many kindergarden teachers can do much to hamper the learning ability of coloring in the lines.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:13 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
i think just say no to rotten education and outrageous prices.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:22 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,045,219 times
So the criticism of Teacher Unions continues, blaming the Unions for the sorry state of education today.
But wait - only 36% of teachers are in Unions. (according to Bureau of Labor Statistics).
So what about the other 2/3's of the teachers in the COuntry? There's no one protecting 2/3 of the nation's teachers - if a teacher is bad, it is the LOCAL control of the schools that is allowing for those bad teachers to continue teaching.

And I'd expect that the unionized teachers are primarily in the Northeast & California. So what about the rest of the country? WHy isn't edukation gud in dose places?

Old 02-24-2012, 08:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I am talking about older students..ones that are quite capable to knowing if a teacher is getting the students motivated and are learning. I don't think many kindergarden teachers can do much to hamper the learning ability of coloring in the lines.
There was some scandal about student evaluations of teachers at the University of Colorado. I'll try to dig it up.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:53 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Student feedback has been a tool to evaluate a teacher.

http://uqu.edu.sa/files2/tiny_mce/pl...professors.pdf

Old 02-24-2012, 09:14 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
The OP's remarks are not about teachers unions, the Department of Education, or anything of that ilk. It's about conservatives, like Santorum, being anti-education because supposedly the "Father of Lies" works through the "pride of smart people."

Santorum: Satan is Systematically Destroying America - YouTube

LET'S BURN SMART PEOPLE AT THE STAKE!!!!! GET YOUR PITCHFORKS, EVERYONE!!!!! THE KNOWLEDGE ECONOMY IS ECONOMY OF LUCIFER!!!!!!

In my day I ran in some seriously fundamentalist circles and I often heard language very similar to this--especially in regards to public education. Just a small snippet of things I've had said to me by the motley crew of homeschoolers, libertarians, and Culture War Christians through the years:

Quote:
"...don't you think you should do something else besides teaching? There's such an anti-God agenda in the public schools. Christians shouldn't be part of that."
Quote:
"...God can't use you as an instrument for good in public education"
Quote:
"...I just don't think you're qualified to teach sunday school or lead youth ministry because your mind has been tainted by the secular public ed system" (From a homeschool mom who objected to me helping with a youth program at a former church I went to)
Quote:
"But child labor laws ARE stupid! If poor kids are not getting a quality education, then we shouldn't bother spending money on them. They should have a part time job so they can be more productive" (a guy who stuck up for Gingrich's support of child labor.)
This is just a small snippet of the many things I've had said to me through the years. I didn't mention the snarky comments about my colleagues (lazy government employees), the kids I teach (godless little monsters) or my choice of profession. (meaningless, will have no impact) I should note that all of these people who say these things are on the right side of the political spectrum. In contrast, all of the liberals I've met have been 100% supportive of what I do.

No, not all conservatives hate public education, and plenty do have respect for individual teachers (and have told me so to my face). But just about all people who hate public education happen to be conservatives--or religious fanatics. It's happened too often for me to shrug it off as just a couple of outliers in the movement. There's a strong anti-intellectual, anti-education streak in American conservatism, and it's stunning that more intelligent conservatives don't notice it or call it out.

When I was a right wing high schooler, I always wondered why my teachers were Democrats. But after college and actually working in the profession, I finally understand why.

Last edited by mackinac81; 02-24-2012 at 09:37 PM..

Old 02-24-2012, 09:24 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,716 times
Very true in PA. One of the first things our new Republican governor did was cut education. I have no respect for ANY politician that cuts education funding. I don't care what party they belong to

Old 02-24-2012, 09:26 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
Very true in PA. One of the first things our new Republican governor did was cut education. I have no respect for ANY politician that cuts education funding. I don't care what party they belong to
Same in Michigan.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:39 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,292,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
This thread isn't about the DOD or WMDs, it's about being "anti-education" (not really, it's just another way to bash conservatives but pay no attention to the lefty idiots behind the curtain.)
It also isn't about unions, the federal government, or the department of education. Yet you continue to try to make it about that. More proof that right wingers, not conservatives, despise education. This isn't about your run of the mill Reagan Republican, this is about the far right teabagging morons.

You want to talk about unions start your own thread bashing working class America, this is about education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies