Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 09:19 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,179,989 times

Advertisements

I've heard about this awhile back and was disgusted and amused at the same time. Another religious idiotic practice. Earthlings are so stupid and ignorant that if many did not have their religious beliefs and practices (no matter how bizarre and intrusive) they woud really have no idea as to how to relate to others and live upon this earth. They prove that they have no genuine spirituality or they would see how the disprespect for others in this practice is blatant. Dogma is proof of stupidity and ignorance. They are the lost souls as opposed to the ones that they baptize by proxy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 09:23 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,077,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
To avoid turning this thread into a discussion of Mormon doctrine, I'm just going to post a link to information on the subject which may be of interest to you.

With respect to Anne Frank's and other recent baptisms, the LDS Church has, in fact, suspended access to the Church's genealogical records for the individual Church member who broke the rules. The following is taken from an article from the Salt Lake Tribune:

The LDS Church then issued its strongest response yet to the violation of its agreement not to do proxy baptisms for Holocaust victims who are not related to a church member.

“It takes a good deal of deception and manipulation to get an improper submission through the safeguards we have put in place,” Purdy said in an email, language that suggests these baptisms could be the work of mischief makers. “While no system is foolproof in preventing the handful of individuals who are determined to falsify submissions, we are committed to taking action against individual abusers. ... We will also consider whether other church disciplinary action should be taken. It is distressing when an individual willfully violates the church’s policy and something that should be understood to be an offering based on love and respect becomes a source of contention.”

The LDS Church “keeps its word,” Purdy said, “and is absolutely firm in its commitment to not accept the names of Holocaust victims for proxy baptism.”

Mormons believe it is their spiritual duty to do these temple rituals and that those on the other side can choose whether to accept the action.
While it is nice they came out against this, but the last sentence gives them an out if they REALLY believe it and the other side doesn't object. It doesn't seem to make exceptions if they are unaware.

It also only names holocaust victims, it is pretty offensive (and deranged) to convert any persons religion after they die...then pretend that they were always part of the faith.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:24 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,179,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
To avoid turning this thread into a discussion of Mormon doctrine, I'm just going to post a link to information on the subject which may be of interest to you.

With respect to Anne Frank's and other recent baptisms, the LDS Church has, in fact, suspended access to the Church's genealogical records for the individual Church member who broke the rules. The following is taken from an article from the Salt Lake Tribune:

The LDS Church then issued its strongest response yet to the violation of its agreement not to do proxy baptisms for Holocaust victims who are not related to a church member.

“It takes a good deal of deception and manipulation to get an improper submission through the safeguards we have put in place,” Purdy said in an email, language that suggests these baptisms could be the work of mischief makers. “While no system is foolproof in preventing the handful of individuals who are determined to falsify submissions, we are committed to taking action against individual abusers. ... We will also consider whether other church disciplinary action should be taken. It is distressing when an individual willfully violates the church’s policy and something that should be understood to be an offering based on love and respect becomes a source of contention.”

The LDS Church “keeps its word,” Purdy said, “and is absolutely firm in its commitment to not accept the names of Holocaust victims for proxy baptism.”

Mormons believe it is their spiritual duty to do these temple rituals and that those on the other side can choose whether to accept the action.
That is by far the most disingenuous, sneaky, underhanded and highly questionable excuse for scoring points in heaven. Pathetic!

Old 02-24-2012, 09:26 AM

28,140 posts, read 30,085,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
It also only names holocaust victims, it is pretty offensive (and deranged) to convert any persons religion after they die...then pretend that they were always part of the faith.
It's impossible to "convert" someone after they die. Proxy baptism does not "convert" anyone, and there is absolutely no pretense involved that the person was "always part of the faith." If you will read the link I posted, I think it may clear up some of your misconceptions. The thread that my link directs you to is old, but still open. It's in the Religion and Philosophy sub-forum. Because I previously provided just a link to a single post, here is a link to the entire thread, "Baptism for the Dead?" I'll be happy to respond to your questions on the doctrine over there. This just doesn't seem like the right place to get into theological discussions.

Last edited by Katzpur; 02-24-2012 at 09:59 AM..

Old 02-24-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
That is by far the most disingenuous, sneaky, underhanded and highly questionable excuse for scoring points in heaven. Pathetic!
Thanks for your input. Your intolerance is forgiven.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:30 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,339,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Bill Maher is a horse's butt and an attention hooker.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:31 AM

14,916 posts, read 13,130,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Bill Maher is a horse's butt and an attention hooker.
Who makes a great point here.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:31 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,607,987 times
I really don't know why anyone would find this offensive. If for example the LDS did this for my dead parents, well , so what?????????? Is that in anyway going to effect them????? I don't think so! Am I so insecure in my own beliefs that what someone does to a name can have an effect on anything????? I surely hope not.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Are you LDS?
Quote:
Then why the vast genealogical records? Most non-Mormons (like me) think you do this to baptize the dead going back generations. Please correct me if I'm wrong because I'm willing to learn.
Read my post #6. I've provided a link on to a thread over on the Christianity subforum which discusses the practice in depth. If you're truly willing to learn, it should answer most of your questions.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:46 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,236,716 times
Pro-gay marriage advocates consistently use the argument of "how does it hurt you [i.e. anyone against gay marriage] if two people of the same sex love each other and want to get married?" Yet, the same ones are outraged and offended that Mormons do something that seems silly to many non-Mormons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies