Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 08:06 PM

1,693 posts, read 1,531,019 times

Advertisements

Canadian National Health Care's Big Benefit - CBS Marketwatch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 08:26 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Still, a lot of conservatives believe pretty strongly in health care through bankruptcy as a means to assure them that the government stays the hell away from paying for some one else's medical care.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:48 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
i will agree that our health insurance system is broken, but single payer government run health care is not the answer. a better idea is to increase the competition in the private insurance industry, and to look at health insurance much like we do auto insurance. for instance, rather than have your health insurance pay for every thing, you pay for doctors visits, most prescription drugs, etc. if we treated auto insurance like health insurance, it too would cost a ton of money.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:47 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,954,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i will agree that our health insurance system is broken, but single payer government run health care is not the answer. a better idea is to increase the competition in the private insurance industry, and to look at health insurance much like we do auto insurance.
this is a false statement. under single-payer, the government does NOT run the healthcare system. healthcare is run by and provided by the private sector. the govt pays for your treatment, it doesn't provide it. hence the term single-payer.

like medicare in the US. medicare is a form of single-payer.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:46 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,326,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i will agree that our health insurance system is broken, but single payer government run health care is not the answer. a better idea is to increase the competition in the private insurance industry, and to look at health insurance much like we do auto insurance. for instance, rather than have your health insurance pay for every thing, you pay for doctors visits, most prescription drugs, etc. if we treated auto insurance like health insurance, it too would cost a ton of money.
We pay through higher taxes I just phone to make an appointment to go see my doctor and then go see him and he writes me the Rx if Ineed one and then go to the pharmacy and get it filled.

We still pay for prescription drugs they are just alot cheaper due to only 5 year long patents on new drugs and then their can be Generic versions of the Brand name version so prescription drugs costs are low because there is no monopoly on the drug patents.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:03 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,194,098 times
How about coming up with your own ideas? If i wanted to sit around and read web pages, I wouldn't be posting in a forum now would I?

Old 02-29-2012, 01:56 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,822,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Member1 View Post
Canadian National Health Care's Big Benefit - CBS Marketwatch
It is a pity that most people in America are only familiar with the Canadian system and uses it as the yardstick for alternatives. America and Canada are at the opposite ends of the public/private provision axis. Most developed world systems are somewhere in between and try to cherrypick the good bits for both. Some with very good results.

I encourage anyone who recognize that the current American system is unsustainable, but do not feel comfortable with public provision to take a look at the German system. Or the Netherlands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
We pay through higher taxes I just phone to make an appointment to go see my doctor and then go see him and he writes me the Rx if Ineed one and then go to the pharmacy and get it filled.
Acy, you don't pay more in taxes for health care. A lot of people are surprised to realize that the American system has now grown so expensive that the American taxpayer pay more in tax for government health care than the Canadian.

Canadian tax money to government health care, roughly $ 2 800 per person. This buys Canadian UHC. American tax money to health care, roughly 3 600 $ per person. This buys Medicare, Medicaid, Veterans, IH etc. Nothing of which the average tax payer sees. Except Medicare eventually.

Interestingly, the people healthy enough to work and pay taxes would be the cheapest group to provide for.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:06 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Isn't the only real government run healthcare the British NHS? I don't think even continental Europe have anything resembling the NHS or single payer

Old 02-29-2012, 04:21 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,822,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Isn't the only real government run healthcare the British NHS? I don't think even continental Europe have anything resembling the NHS or single payer
Actually, the Scandinavian systems started out modeled on the NHS. All those models have evolved from the parent structure, though.

(In Scandinavia, it has typically changed to regional health authoriteis centrally funded. Kind of like if the US federal government were to give each state a certain amount of dollars per resident and told them to use it on getting everyone health care, but administer it as they thought best themselves)

The four main health care models are the Beveridge Model (Great Britain, Scandinavia, Cuba), the Bismark Model (Germany, France, Japan, Switzerland), the National Health Insurance Model (Canada, Taiwan) and Out-of-Pocket (rural areas of Africa, India, China and South America). The US runs all of them, with paralell bureaucracies and a lot of redundant work.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:24 AM

261 posts, read 357,533 times
I'm a flag waving conservative who STRONGLY believes in a single payer mandatory health care system. That is the only one I am in favor in. I've lived the uninsured life and have been tied to jobs I could afford to leave for health insurance. I've had to put up with a bullying, demanding boss in order to maintain insurance. I've also had to decide if we wanted to pay the heat bill or go to the doctor when we were sick.

It has to be single payer and it has to be mandatory or it simply won't work.

I also think it will never ever happen. There is too much money involved, too many powerful people.

I believe in profit from an honest days work. I don't believe in profit from causing others suffering. That seems to be our business motto. If you look at people's posts on here you see lots of "don't get emotionally involved, they are there to make you money" or some other form of justification for why it is okay to discard someone like trash if they aren't increasing the bottom line. We've confused profit with something ugly and not extol its virtues.

And I don't see it as a democrat/republican thing. Democrats proved with the healthcare bill that they are only interested in forcing people to give their money to insurance companies. If they had demanded a strong, competitive option then I would have hung up my republican flag and jumped ship. But when it was first introduced I said to my husband this sound like a show to me to force everyone to buy insurance. I was not surprised the day they dropped that clause.

Then once the democrats have dictated the life choices of millions of Americans the republicans swoop in and make sure that people will pay as much as they possibly can but still stay in the monopoly game. They will do things like create laws that make it possible for an insurance company to deny a little girl a $250K hear operation because of an insurance loophole the same day a marble statue of the same amount is erected in the lobby of said insurance company.

Okay, I am done, sorry for the rant. I was thinking about this very topic in the shower then saw a thread while drinking my coffee. It gets me fired up because we know the solution, we live next to the solution, yet we continue to deny it. They can keeps saying Canada is not perfect but it sure as hell is worlds above our system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies