Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 10:34 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,661,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
That's awful, I'm sorry this happened to someone in your family!
Addiction is sometimes impossible to overcome. I wish it was different.
It's pretty common in certain areas amongst certain classes, ceece. Yes, I blame the societal forces that conspired against my seventh-grade brother -- to a point. His excuses were wearing thin by the time he was in his late teens and early 20s. The sad truth is that he just didn't care enough about life to work at it. He gave up on himself. There's not much you can do at that point. He's an extreme case though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 10:42 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,078,817 times
When racist Democrats stop thinking that welfare is the answer... treating minorities as second class citizens

When racist Democrats start doing something to fix inner city public schools

That would be a good start

Old 03-04-2012, 10:53 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,633,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Geezus H. Christmas.....where the hell are you from? 12 year old girls? Pregnancy? You're kidding right? These ocurrences are so common that you'd use them for an example to demonstrate the lack of personal responsibility in America? Any data to back up your (ridiculous) assertion?

Remind me to stay away from your part of town.
List of youngest birth mothers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

12-Year-Old Girl Didn't Know She Was Pregnant, Gives Birth on School Field Trip - True Crime Report

My 12 year old is 26 weeks pregnant? - Yahoo! Answers

Teen Pregnancy: 11 & 12 year olds getting pregnant

Pregnant pre-teen, sister found; Step-father charged - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC

Pre-Teen Pregnancy In US: 11-Year-Old Girl Now Mother to Baby Boy | MedIndia

Pre-teen pregnancies revealed - Health - Scotsman.com

Preteen Pregnancy: An Alarming Trend | usariseup (http://www.usariseup.com/all-about-family/preteen-pregnancy-alarming-trend - broken link)

Young and Childfree: Teen/Tween Pregnancy

Children Having Children - TIME

Oh and FTR, the youngest girl to be pregnant was 5 yrs old!!!!

Old 03-04-2012, 11:21 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,151,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
You see, this where it tends to get stupid on internet forums. Of course you could dig up links to show that there are 12 years olds getting pregnant. I could have done that myself. But I chose not to because I know that pregnant 12 year olds aren't a significant enough demographic to drive national policy, or even personal policy. These are unfortunate events that evoke emotions and frustrations. They DON'T drive discussions of personal responsibility beyond that of the the individual who committed the crime.

I should have known that someone would dig up this crap to make a non-existent point.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:55 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,633,918 times
Quote:
You see, this where it tends to get stupid on internet forums. Of course you could dig up links to show that there are 12 years olds getting pregnant. I could have done that myself. But I chose not to because I know that pregnant 12 year olds aren't a significant enough demographic to drive national policy, or even personal policy. These are unfortunate events that evoke emotions and frustrations. They DON'T drive discussions of personal responsibility beyond that of the the individual who committed the crime.

I should have known that someone would dig up this crap to make a non-existent point.
Then maybe you should have looked it up before resorting to disbelief and wonderment and whatever else you were when you claimed to not believe it.

Seriously? You can do better kiddo.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:03 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,278,839 times
Quote:
Greg, you don't "accept personal responsibility for being poor." You accept personal responsibility by making good decisions that will help to lift you out of poverty. Namely, not quitting high school and having children!

You really don't get it do you? Why do you make excuses for these people?
Yeah but just being responsible is not guarantee that it will get you out of poverty. There are plenty of responsible poor people who did not have kids and not made bad finical decisions. Its not that easy.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:20 AM

59,252 posts, read 27,425,430 times
Quote:
Geezus H. Christmas.....where the hell are you from? 12 year old girls? Pregnancy? You're kidding right? These ocurrences are so common that you'd use them for an example to demonstrate the lack of personal responsibility in America? Any data to back up your (ridiculous) assertion?

Remind me to stay away from your part of town.
12, 13 or 14, not much difference.

"Nearly four in ten teenage girls whose first intercourse experience happened at 13 or 14 report that the sex was unwanted or involuntary.

Teen Pregnancy Statistics - Teen Pregnancy

Old 03-05-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Then maybe you should have looked it up before resorting to disbelief and wonderment and whatever else you were when you claimed to not believe it.

Seriously? You can do better kiddo.
"...disbelief and wonderment"....."claimed not to believe it?".....

You're not very good at reading comprehension. I didn't say I didn't believe that 12 year olds were getting pregnant....I said I didn't believe that it was happening enough to drive national policy, nor should it factor into in any substantial discussion on personal responsibility and entitlements in America (although those responsible should be held personally and criminally responsible).

These are outliers. I don't discuss outliers as a matter of principle. That's where you got it wrong by not comprehending what I put in the post you responded to.

Take your time....read slower. It will help you.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
12, 13 or 14, not much difference.

"Nearly four in ten teenage girls whose first intercourse experience happened at 13 or 14 report that the sex was unwanted or involuntary.

Teen Pregnancy Statistics - Teen Pregnancy
Again...100% irrelevant to the conversation.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:30 AM

25,857 posts, read 16,560,676 times
If this is such a huge problem to your personally--you republicans who daily are ripping the poor, then volunteer to mentor young people in the projects. Do something about it. I work with a black guy who grew up in Chicago in a terrible neighborhood. Just his mother, no father around. When he was just a little kid he noticed out his window a man waiting for a bus every day at the same time. He asked his mother why that was. His mother told him it's because the man had a job. The only person on the block with a job. He said their house was nicer than everyone else's and they took good care of everything. Really made an impression on him. He decided right then and there that's what he wanted for his life, he didn't want to break the law like his friends did ect.

Great guy, great worker and a great friend. So to sum up, quit yer b*tchen unless you are willing to step up and do something. I volunteer for the United Way (through the union which you guys hate too) working at the food shelf and homeless shelter. I have also been coaching youth sports in disadvantaged neighborhoods for years. Kids are kids, people are just people. This society isolates them and keeps them down, no matter what Rush Limbaugh preaches to you daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies