Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 09:17 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Poverty Spans Generations - Who Will Stop This Revolving Door?
Lockheed will:

$10, a brown-bag lunch and kick their goat-smelling asses out the back over Somalia or Uganda or the like.

It'll work. I guarantee you that within 30 days there will be no one in the US on TAN-F. They'll all be working or living with family members (or trying to find crack, beer and lotto tickets in Somalia) instead of relying on tax-payers to fund their life-styles.

Ending poverty...

Mircea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 09:18 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
If Karl Rove wasn't the first political operative to put forth the theory that you loved so much -- he was close to it. That's how he came up. Look, Aero, I'm starting to remember why I don't engage you much. You just don't have the attention span to stay with an argument for very long. I get it. You are addicted to rage, and you like to direct that rage at the poor, when you are not directing at minorities, single mothers or liberal elites. Got it. Enjoy yourself.
No, what you've figured out is quite the opposite....that I will "engage" the conversation. Take a look at my threads....I don't cut and run. And that's the problem you have with me. I will debate you until you're blue in the face, even when you put forth nonsense excuses for why personal responsibilty is not something that should be expected in America.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:20 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
No, what you've figured out is quite the opposite....that I will "engage" the conversation. Take a look at my threads....I don't cut and run. And that's the problem you have with me. I will debate you until you're blue in the face, even when you put forth nonsense excuses.
I'm all about a good debate, Aero. That's why I frequent this forum. I'm not particularly entertained by someone who repeats the same tripe ad naseum though.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:59 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Actually, poverty is a very important issue to me. I was born in a very poor area, and the girl I married is the oldest of eight. For the better part of the past two decades -- starting when we were just 22 and freshly graduated from college -- we've been doing things to make sure her younger sisters and brothers don't end up in the same cycle as her parents and grandparents.

There is a lot of truth to what conservatives say. Helping someone out of poverty isn't about throwing money at them. It's about cultivating certain skills and mindsets. It takes a lot of patience and time to help just one teen who grew up poor to grow up to a be productive citizen. I don't blame those who don't want to bother with doing this.

Again, your angle confuses me though. Why scream yourself hoarse over this? What's it to you?
Well as a taxpayer we have been forced to support individuals like this one. If I didnt have to support their lifestyles I wouldn't care that much. Also this demographic drives a lot of crime so that's a concern as well.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:04 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,716 times
Quote:
Exactly! So what's so hard for the rest of humanity to grasp about the concept of personal responsibility?
Because when you're not responsible, our government GIVES

Old 03-02-2012, 05:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
The bigger and better question is: "Why shouldn't I be screaming over this? No one else seem to be!"

Which is one reason this country is in the dump. No one gives a damn....just take a look at this forum.....every excuse imaginable is made for those who live a lifetime of personally irresponsible decisions.

That it's so easy to turn a blind eye is downright sickening.
Don't assume that. From the outside, yes it may seem that way.
You cannot just throw money at the masses (K-12) and hope it works because it doesn't. You cannot just give every student a laptop and a graphing calculator and voila..they have mastered technology.

As a previous poster said..it takes time and patience and lots of one-on-one mentoring. I tutor math in poor schools in small groups..3 or 4 max. But that is not even good enough because I only see them for one school year..then *poof* they are pushed to the next grade. Many (too many) are just pushed through the system because there are just too many. The sheer number of poor youth that are in our schools and are just herded (yes herded) through the system would SHOCK YOU.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:36 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
This is the million dollar question, branson. How much are we talking about here? I bet there are millions if not billions of jobs for computer programers that pay .25 an hour. Hell, if I could find someone who will develop aps for me at that rate, I will pay it.

Do these jobs pay enough for a single person to support him or herself with food, clothing, transportion and shelter?
Well, aside from the hyperbole...yes, they do if a person follows a sensible lifestyle. One person *can* survive on minimum wage but it is not easy. With a second part time job (also minimum wage) we're talking approximately $400 a week take home.

Depending on location, housing is the largest expense. If a person can keep their housing expense down by renting a room, buying an older, fuel efficient car (or using public transportation if available - or a bicycle), keeping expenses to a minimum, they can definitely live on low wages.

Even in a scenario where the wife cannot work because of a child, she can always take in a few more children an do some babysitting to bring in additional money.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-02-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Lockheed will:

$10, a brown-bag lunch and kick their goat-smelling asses out the back over Somalia or Uganda or the like.

It'll work. I guarantee you that within 30 days there will be no one in the US on TAN-F. They'll all be working or living with family members (or trying to find crack, beer and lotto tickets in Somalia) instead of relying on tax-payers to fund their life-styles.

Ending poverty...

Mircea
But can they still bring their government cell phones and will they still have coverage ????

Old 03-02-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Well, aside from the hyperbole...yes, they do if a person follows a sensible lifestyle. One person *can* survive on minimum wage but it is not easy. With a second part time job (also minimum wage) we're talking approximately $400 a week take home.

Depending on location, housing is the largest expense. If a person can keep their housing expense down by renting a room, buying an older, fuel efficient car (or using public transportation if available - or a bicycle), keeping expenses to a minimum, they can definitely live on low wages.

Even in a scenario where the wife cannot work because of a child, she can always take in a few more children an do some babysitting to bring in additional money.

20yrsinBranson
With all the regulation in childcare these days even that is becoming unattainable due to mandated changes the home must have to babysit for money.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:47 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,283,089 times
Poverty Spans Generations - Who Will Stop This Revolving Door?

Only good parents who make their kids do well in school and teach a respect for all work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies