Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 07:48 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,984,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
The top pays something like 70% of the load already. Nothing wrong with the bottom 49% learning what a wage tax bill is.
This sounds kind of like Governor Sam Brownback's tax plan for Kansas. Kansans making less than $25K per year currently leech $2 million via refundable tax credits (state earned income and child) from the state, which is literally income redistribution. Under Brownback's plan, he turns that around and makes that same set of taxpayers contributors in the tune of $80 million per year! How much does it cost on average for those people to become CONTRIBUTORS? A mere $156 more per year in state income taxes! In my mind, that is fantastic. Those people will be contributing rather than leeching, which should also be psychologically good.

Romney's plan sounds similar. We all know half of people don't actually pay into the federal income tax system. They should be contributing. However, I don't know how I feel about the top earners (rich) getting such huge breaks, especially with the deficit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 08:12 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,413,164 times
When I was in the bottom 20%, I paid a significant amount of federal income tax. A thousand bucks on 11,000 in income. That let me know I had a stake in this enterprise and I better pay attention. We should give more people the opportunity to be a part of this thing.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:12 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
This sounds kind of like Governor Sam Brownback's tax plan for Kansas. Kansans making less than $25K per year currently leech $2 million via refundable tax credits (state earned income and child) from the state, which is literally income redistribution. Under Brownback's plan, he turns that around and makes that same set of taxpayers contributors in the tune of $80 million per year! How much does it cost on average for those people to become CONTRIBUTORS? A mere $156 more per year in state income taxes! In my mind, that is fantastic. Those people will be contributing rather than leeching, which should also be psychologically good.

Romney's plan sounds similar. We all know half of people don't actually pay into the federal income tax system. They should be contributing. However, I don't know how I feel about the top earners (rich) getting such huge breaks, especially with the deficit.
I wonder if the majority of Americans will support such a candidate. If they do I would be really disappointed. In my view America needs a heavy dose of modesty these days. And the president should be a shining example of that...

Somehow politicians these days have lost their sense of what is right.
(They have the same problem in Germany. Their president was involved in various scandals, so after months of fighting it he finally had no choice but to resign. But now he demands not only the standard 200k Euros ($270k) per year for the rest of his life (although that income is explicitly tied to the honor of the president's office), but also 280k Euros ($370k) per year for an office and employees. I would be so embarrassed if I were him, in Asian countries some politicians take their own lives for such scandals, but in the West like psychopaths they show no understanding of morals and guilt.)

Old 03-04-2012, 09:56 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,605,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
FHA insured buyers are the buyers with minimal down payments; if they had 20% down, they would be getting conventional loans.
Terrible assumption.

FHA guidelines allow a minimal down payment, an UFMIP of 1.75% and a monthly MI of 1.25%

An FHA buyer could be a buyer who wants to put down a minimal down payment.

Buyers can get a conventional loan at 5% down.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:26 AM

38,646 posts, read 26,398,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Taxers for the middle class have fallen under Obama. It was part of the stimulus plan and also part of that payroll extension that was a ruckus not long ago. The President doesn't make the price of oil nor does he set food prices.

I realize that you want to blindly whine about Obama to fulfill whatever odd emotional need you have to do so, but can you at least get your facts straight beforehand and provide some arguments that you can back up?

You do realize federal deficit spending is financed with bonds which drive up the cost of borrowing and that the Fed has been flooding the economy with worthless paper currency (loaned out at near zero rates) to counteract this effect and even buying the government bonds directly to keep them out of the market and that more paper currency from the Fed without economic expansion devalues the money workers earn causing the price of food and fuel to increase, right?

Old 03-04-2012, 10:31 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,961,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
What would you expect from a wealthy elitist? According to Romney he paid everything owed on his taxes and that amounted to 13.9% of his gross and "not a dime more." Whereas Main street folks were paying about 30% taxes on their meager $30-$50k and not a dime less.

Now Romney did give 10% of his gross to his church. The thing is that his church requires a 10% tithe.
It's really more like a fee for belonging to an exclusive club that he is required to pay. Some how much did he really give? Nil.

Romney is nothing more than a vulture capitalist who makes his money off the suffering of others. His company specializes in plant closures, job cutting, consolidations, and job outsourcing. He will do all he can to protect his own wealth and the riches other elitists at the expense of every working American.
How could Romney possibly represent the real America, the plumbers, electricians, factory workers, service workers, nurses, teachers, police, firemen, etc., when he has never walked a day in their shoes?
Idiotic Conservatives/Republicans can't wait to slit their own throats.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:38 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Romnay's tax plan is kind of like talkig about oabam's plan to solve the defiti i his firsat four years.Its goig to happen as planned as no presadients plans do.Bascially what you will see is a shift toward his lan in discussio by congress because he would be one 1/3rd of the legislative proceess .There are already plans in congreesss committees that are more like to be adopoted within his plans that would modift it. I believe even see senate fiance committeee discussions we will eventaully see a overhaul of income tax to braoder based simpler plan.One presntly there with support from some on both sides is one page and 29 lines.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:30 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,966,939 times
And WHO does CBS cite?

The very same Tax Policy Group.

You should really read your own links.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:39 AM

42 posts, read 25,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
And WHO does CBS cite?

The very same Tax Policy Group.

You should really read your own links.
The director of TPC, Donald Marron, served on George W. Bush's Council of Economic Advisers and was Deputy Director of the CBO under Doug Holtz-Eakin, a Republican appointee.

It's not a partisan outfit. Read next time.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:44 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Source

Source

So deficit's don't matter is back?

Interesting....
Good. Stick it to em Romney. They appear to like it. Obama shoves higher food, fuel, heating costs down their throats and they swoon on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies