Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 06:49 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
And we're in Afghanistan for what reason?
Nobody knows....just like Viet Nam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 06:51 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Nobody knows....just like Viet Nam.
No offense, but this is a profoundly and ignorant sentiment. We're in Afghanistan for very identifiable reasons. The Vietnam analogy is relevant in some repsects, but a terrorist organization headquarted in Vietnam didn't fly jets into our buildings and kill thousands of American bystanders.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:52 PM

469 posts, read 913,466 times
Spent a number of years over there. They are barbarians, how do you decompress. Kids with granades, dead mules stuffed with bombs. I find the entire place to be bizare, how do you comprehend the things that are out of place. A goat in a bedroom , stealing gas on a roof. Tires packed with explosive so heavy they cant be used.

This place is a zoo, dont like hearing about kids an women but it probably saved a live 15 years down the road. Muslims are barbarians that brought this war to the USA? GAME ON!!!!!

Old 03-12-2012, 06:56 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
No, that's dishonorable. Never give the enemy one of your own. You deal with him your own way. My preference is to give him a trial and a hanging.

I'm against this war, and have been against it even when Bush waged it back in 2001 when many of you were cheering it on but NEVER give the enemy one of your own.
THIS

What you have is the rule of law that is sorely lacking in all of those s***hole countries!

Vengenace is a creed that you've moved on from a century or more ago and to allow another country to exact vengeance upon one of your broken soldiers would be a gigantic step backward in your evolution.

You put those soldiers over there now it is incumbant upon you to not just support them with handfuls of pansies when they arrive back in your airports but DEMAND they get the support they need in all areas, even counselling and re-integration to society.

This man has committed a crime of immense proportions but all attempts should be made to determine his mental state and your laws preclude him being simply fed to the "mean-machine" to appease ANYONE!

Do you for one moment think you will gain respect from anyone in that region if you summarily hand over one of your troops at their behest?

Old 03-12-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
THIS

What you have is the rule of law that is sorely lacking in all of those s***hole countries!

Vengenace is a creed that you've moved on from a century or more ago and to allow another country to exact vengeance upon one of your broken soldiers would be a gigantic step backward in your evolution.

You put those soldiers over there now it is incumbant upon you to not just support them with handfuls of pansies when they arrive back in your airports but DEMAND they get the support they need in all areas, even counselling and re-integration to society.

This man has committed a crime of immense proportions but all attempts should be made to determine his mental state and your laws preclude him being simply fed to the "mean-machine" to appease ANYONE!

Do you for one moment think you will gain respect from anyone in that region if you summarily hand over one of your troops at their behest?
You don't give "the enemy" one of your own, but giving this Soldier over to the relatives of the victims would be sending a very strong message that they aren't "the enemy." A gesture like this is very significant in tribal societies. I'd do it. I know it would never happen, so it's dumb to argue about, but I would do it.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:06 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,662,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
You live up to your name with this short but accurate post. Much of the Taliban came from the refugee Pakistani refugee camps (where they picked up Deobandi influences... similar to Wahhabism, but different) but you are a little wrong too. Mullah Omar and the Taliban inner circle were mujahideen. There were mujahideen from other factions too. Massoud was an important mujahideen from the Tajik faction of Afghanistan -- a sizable minority in Afghanistan, but one that is outnumbered by the majority Pashtun.
Najibullah (the Soviet puppet) was pashtun too so the pashtuns were divided in the civil war. The Taliban formed out of this division as Kandahar became a lawless place where warlords did what they wanted. The Taliban established rule of law to these regions.

Mullah Omar is an interesting guy cause little is known about him. He is almost like a ghost. I think only 2 pictures exist of him and none of those can be confirmed. He is rumored to have not left his village let alone Afghanistan (though the US suspects he's in Pakistan right now). He lost one of his eyes I think, rumored fighting the Soviets. He's also like 6'7."

They have a saying in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.....

Old 03-12-2012, 07:12 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,662,572 times
Quote:
You don't give "the enemy" one of your own, but giving this Soldier over to the relatives of the victims would be sending a very strong message that they aren't "the enemy." A gesture like this is very significant in tribal societies. I'd do it. I know it would never happen, so it's dumb to argue about, but I would do it.
There's a saying that no one respects a traitor. It's one more dishonorable action albeit one that helps them. It's better to have respect. The respect is won by punishing him our way. And I think that way should be hanging.

Put it this way, the aghans will never give one of theirs to us. They'll do it their way which is the way it should be.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Najibullah (the Soviet puppet) was pashtun too so the pashtuns were divided in the civil war. The Taliban formed out of this division as Kandahar became a lawless place where warlords did what they wanted. The Taliban established rule of law to these regions.

Mullah Omar is an interesting guy cause little is known about him. He is almost like a ghost. I think only 2 pictures exist of him and none of those can be confirmed. He is rumored to have not left his village let alone Afghanistan (though the US suspects he's in Pakistan right now). He lost one of his eyes I think, rumored fighting the Soviets. He's also like 6'7."

They have a saying in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.....
You're an informed poster, and I appreciate your contributions to this thread. The Pashtun comprise about 42 percent of Afghanistan, and there are many divided factions within the Pashtun. Even Karzai, who was educated in India and rejected by many Pashtun as a foriegn puppet, is Pashtun. I agree that Mullah Omar is an interesting guy. Truth be told, he did some good (even though he's a bad guy) -- that's why he has some street cred. I think it's pretty certain that he's hiding in Quetta along with the other members of the Quetta Shura.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
There's a saying that no one respects a traitor. It's one more dishonorable action albeit one that helps them. It's better to have respect. The respect is won by punishing him our way. And I think that way should be hanging.

Put it this way, the aghans will never give one of theirs to us. They'll do it their way which is the way it should be.
Again, I would turn him over. I think doing so would be a strong gesture of disgust at his actions. It would be the best way to communicate to them that we are revoluted by the man's actions, in no way defend them, and don't even consider him part of our tribe as a result of his henious actions. (I wouldn't do it until after we have our own trial making sure he is guilty of course.) What we're talking about is very macho old west, tribal kind of thinking though, Obviously, he's not going to be turned over. If it were my decision to make though, I would march him up to the highest ranking relative and turn my back on him. I think what you suggest is a good course of action though. Punish him severely to show our disgust.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:28 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
No offense, but this is a profoundly and ignorant sentiment. We're in Afghanistan for very identifiable reasons. The Vietnam analogy is relevant in some repsects, but a terrorist organization headquarted in Vietnam didn't fly jets into our buildings and kill thousands of American bystanders.
Oh for Christs sake, by the end of 2001 Al Qaeda was chased out of Afghanistan into Pakistan after their leadership was cornered in Tora Bora and allowed to escape after Rumsfeld ordered their pursuers to stand down. Afghanistan was then promptly ignored to concentrate on mythical weapons of mass distraction in Iraq.

Al Qaeda does NOT equal the Taliban, and we have no discernible reasons for being there other than legitimizing a bloated military budget and rapacious military industrial complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies