Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 07:12 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times

Advertisements

We are a nation of laws.

Very few people in our government follow the rule of law.

Many people in our government have been getting away with murder for decades, but as long as they bring home the bacon, nobody seems to care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 07:14 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,076,266 times
Wrong. We need a new government. Doesn't matter who is in the current one, they all end up corrupt.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:16 AM

840 posts, read 781,501 times
Yep. Seeing how as this country was founded as a Republic and is now a Democracy. Well in name anyways its actually a Oligarchy.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:22 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
Wrong. We need a new government. Doesn't matter who is in the current one, they all end up corrupt.
We are responsible for whom we elect.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:26 AM

840 posts, read 781,501 times
Not when fraud is used to elect the politicians.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:27 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPON View Post
Not when fraud is used to elect the politicians.
Exactly

Old 03-11-2012, 08:05 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
We are a nation of laws.

Many people in our government have been getting away with murder for decades, but as long as they bring home the bacon, nobody seems to care.
"new people" ???

So who is going to invent "new people"?

because until "people" are reinvented they will ALL face the pressure and corrupting influences of those who are in power, The Wealthiest....and will succumb and/or bend as generations before have done.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:31 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,401,273 times
Is the problem that politicians have simply become too out of touch? Perhaps it's time for somewhat of a rethink or a reshuffle. It seems that money or having a family line in politics really gets your foot in the door. Therefore, American politicians are not really a true representation of the electorate they serve and in many cases are just puppets for corportate interests.

I listen to politicians on either side and most don't seem to have a bloody clue. The Republican debates seem to be more concerned with abortion and same sex marriage. A lot of empty rhetoric about how they're going to fix the economy, but no real substance....just blaming Obama. As for Democrat politicians, they seem to lack spine and convocation (though not all). It's as if they, including the current president forgot how to fight back, despite the hot air generated during Obama's campaign.

I think the problem with many politicians these days is that it's become too much of a career, with many not really knowing what goes on in the outside world because they've been a senator or a congressman for so many years. It's all about making a bunch of promises to get elected. When they don't have the answers and are out of their depth, they start talking about gay marriage and abortion to try to win over extremists.

There's way too much partisanship too. Both sides absolutely refuse to agree on ANY common ground and this is harmful to the country as nothing ever really gets done. It would actually be pleasing to see Republcans and Democrats at least working together on some issues, even if they fundamentally disagree on other issues.

The bottom line is that they're woefully out of touch and inept when it comes to dealing with many problems. This is why I may not agree with it, but I understand why so many American have a bigger mistrust of their government than other countries.

Demand better politicians than are more of a representation of real people. End the lobbying process so that money can no longer play such a huge role in deciding who is elected and who isn't.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:33 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
We are a nation of laws.

Well you get a chance this fall to vote for 1 man in the executive, maybe a Senator, and a few representatives depending on what state you're in.

Don't tell the next state, or states on the other side of the country who they should vote for.

We have term limits. They come every 2, 4, and 6 years.

People say "Its a problem in Washington", then vote for the same incumbent in their state over and over. They disagree with congress, but they like their representatives. So they perpetuate the problem.

Most of the people that speak like the OP don't have a problem with politicians, they have a problem with their fellow citizens views.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:08 PM

475 posts, read 648,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Is the problem that politicians have simply become too out of touch? Perhaps it's time for somewhat of a rethink or a reshuffle. It seems that money or having a family line in politics really gets your foot in the door. Therefore, American politicians are not really a true representation of the electorate they serve and in many cases are just puppets for corportate interests.

I listen to politicians on either side and most don't seem to have a bloody clue. The Republican debates seem to be more concerned with abortion and same sex marriage. A lot of empty rhetoric about how they're going to fix the economy, but no real substance....just blaming Obama. As for Democrat politicians, they seem to lack spine and convocation (though not all). It's as if they, including the current president forgot how to fight back, despite the hot air generated during Obama's campaign.

I think the problem with many politicians these days is that it's become too much of a career, with many not really knowing what goes on in the outside world because they've been a senator or a congressman for so many years. It's all about making a bunch of promises to get elected. When they don't have the answers and are out of their depth, they start talking about gay marriage and abortion to try to win over extremists.

There's way too much partisanship too. Both sides absolutely refuse to agree on ANY common ground and this is harmful to the country as nothing ever really gets done. It would actually be pleasing to see Republcans and Democrats at least working together on some issues, even if they fundamentally disagree on other issues.

The bottom line is that they're woefully out of touch and inept when it comes to dealing with many problems. This is why I may not agree with it, but I understand why so many American have a bigger mistrust of their government than other countries.

Demand better politicians than are more of a representation of real people. End the lobbying process so that money can no longer play such a huge role in deciding who is elected and who isn't.
Excellent comments dragonborn! The solution is obvious, at least in my opinion. Limit politicians to single terms, make it 6 years to give them some real time to make a difference and effect something worthwhile, but that is it. Cap their salary to 5% over what they were making in their last job, plus travel expenses. Limit donations to individuals, no corporate and no more than $500! Oh when I said single terms I meant forever, so that once a person has been say in Congress as a representative, they can not run for Senator or President once their 6 year term expires. I know that some people will complain that this makes for a lack of experience, and I would agree. However, as we have seen, experienced politicians are an enormous part of the problem! Perhaps the pay scale for politicians can be adjusted for the level of the position, such as the President is capped at $400K, Senators get capped based upon the cost of living in their state, etc.. Finally abolish the electoral college! Oh and no retirement for politicians, that comes from their real-life jobs. make being a politician almost a volunteer position. Then lets see what kind of people would run

George Washington and the rest of the "Fathers" of our country never intended for "politicians" to become a permanent profession. They would travel to Washington or their state capital, vote on the issues and then return to their real life jobs. That is still being done in thousands of cities across the nation. Now the difficult part of this is getting it started, that may take a "revolution" of sorts, hopefully non-violent.

I wonder what would happen if 51% of the voters did a write in candidate on their ballot for President, say like Ron Paul, or someone with no party affiliation, such as me !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies