Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2012, 07:33 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
You awaken to a noise that you can't identify but think you hear someone in your house at 3:40 am so you slip to the closet where you have a pistol stashed for just such an occasion. When the intruder takes a knife from his vest and comes at you, you shoot him twice. Now what do you do? Do you have a plan worked out beforehand? If not there is a real chance that you will make a number of mistakes in the next hour and who knows what kind of prosecutor will be assigned to your case. If he is dead he becomes the victim in our leal system.

After the Shooting, by Tupreco - SurvivalBlog.com
Here in Texas we call the law and then try to keep the dogs from eating too much before they come to drag the carcus away in a bag. Oh, and put on some coffee for them, after all they won't be in a rush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 08:00 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Please consider that minutes can be a very long time when your response to an attack has to be in seconds and damn few of those.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:06 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I have 2 dogs that would raise hell if someone came in the house and an alarm system and a police station 2 minutes away. In fact you drive right by the police station at the entrance to our neighborhood.
OK, the police station is two minutes away. WHERE is the patrol car? When you call 911, the radio call goes out, and the nearest patrol responds. Is it 5 minutes away? Is it sitting at the station? Is it TEN minutes away?
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"
Sure, that's trite, but it is also true!
"The police don't prevent crime, they only investigate and cleanup the mess after the crime is committed!"
Again, trite, but true.
The defense of YOUR home is YOUR responsibility.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:12 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,362,280 times
I'm still trying to understand why the gun was buried in the closet.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:31 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
I'm curious. Anyone who has actually been through a self defense situation? Who knows and understands what kind of weight it carries? I can't think of a dead or maimed bipred as "tragic" per se. I have anger issues with the species.

But I wonder if there is anyone else about who has experienced what such an encounter can do to you, or a loved one. My e experiences totally changed me. Particularly tbe second and last one. The circumstances made me put aside my anger. Made me soften. I always had this thought that revenge would be the foremost thing in my head and heart after something like what happened. It was just tbe opposite.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:00 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
Years ago my friend Billy was working nites at a gas station and got robbed at gunpoint.It was all cool he gave him the money.Then the thug made him walk out behind the station at gunpoint. Billy new what that meant and struggled for the gun and it went off.The thug stumbled about 30 yds and died in a pool of blood.Billy was a young strong 17 year old and did what he had to.took a long time to get over it if he really has,Criminals deserve no sympathy.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:17 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
southbel - I live in NC, but I'm originally from NJ, where even if you shot Osama Bin Ladin raping your wife in your bed, you'd probably need a lawyer and would be charged with something. Since I've retained my paranoia and suspicion of reporting anything to the police, here's what I'd do.

Since I live by myself, after dealing with the body at my own convenience, I'd utilize my meat grinder and the freezer I have in the garage. Mr. Burglar would be ground up and frozen where he would provide my cats with the new flavor of "Ground Burglar with Gravy"- those 4 packs of 9 Lives aren't cheap anymore. I would also save money using the bones to make bone meal for my flowering bulbs. Remember, Recycling is good for the environment! and remember MacGruff the Crime Dog's admonition ...."Take a Bite out of Crime!"

THIS is Genius...........Kitties LUV ground Burglar!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-21-2013, 10:26 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Years ago my friend Billy was working nites at a gas station and got robbed at gunpoint.It was all cool he gave him the money.Then the thug made him walk out behind the station at gunpoint. Billy new what that meant and struggled for the gun and it went off.The thug stumbled about 30 yds and died in a pool of blood.Billy was a young strong 17 year old and did what he had to.took a long time to get over it if he really has,Criminals deserve no sympathy.
No....they don't deserve any sympathy. The damage they do, with absolutely no regret, unless they get caught, or lose to their intended victim, is quite sickening. I have related my story on another thread already, so I won't do it again here. But suffice it to say, I know the program. The last experience was a loved one, not myself, anx this is what truly changed my outlook. Forget thoughts of revenge, anger, what have you. No chest thumping or pacing and growling. All I could think about was her. Supporting her, holding her, just being there and lovinv her.

The emotional aftermath was just horrible. I would rather be shot or stabbed myself than go tbrougb that again. In a less self defense friendly area, where possible charges could have been brougbt on her...good God!! I wonder if anyone in such a system has a clue? That would have been to much to ask of anyone. To be attacked, defend yourself, fall apart, tben be told you're facing charges?!. I can't even imagine what having that on top of everything would have been like.

That type of nonsense needs to be scrutinized, anx done away with. Victims have enougb to deal with without some zealous prosecutor trying to make a point.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:42 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
I have a gun owners legal plan... My first call would be to the police and my second would be to my legal plans number.. I would not answer any questions without the presence of legal council. I would surrender my identification. Other than that, I would wait to be taken into temporary custody and await my attorney.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:47 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,877,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
You awaken to a noise that you can't identify but think you hear someone in your house at 3:40 am so you slip to the closet where you have a pistol stashed for just such an occasion. When the intruder takes a knife from his vest and comes at you, you shoot him twice. Now what do you do? Do you have a plan worked out beforehand? If not there is a real chance that you will make a number of mistakes in the next hour and who knows what kind of prosecutor will be assigned to your case. If he is dead he becomes the victim in our leal system.

After the Shooting, by Tupreco - SurvivalBlog.com
If he is alive he becomes the victim in the attempted murder trial who will lie and attempt to manipulate the jury to his advantage and your detriment. If he is dead, you tell your story just as it happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies