Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What irritates you more?
Fat people who want handicapped status instead of just losing weight 21 24.42%
Immigrants who don't learn English and want listed in the home language 35 40.70%
Muslim women who don't want to take off the veil for voting, driving 5 5.81%
Multiculturalism instead of an integrated society 25 29.07%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 09:44 PM

989 posts, read 2,762,327 times

Advertisements

Another thread got me thinking about this.

You probably noticed a theme... these are basically things that the individuals have the ability to overcome, but ask society to accommodate them for instead.

Please add your own, I'm sure that I've missed quite a few (but please don't let it get too blatantly political with things like "letting mentally unstable liberals like Hanoi Jane vote")

Keep in mind that you don't get enough room to list qualifiers in the poll, so of course this excludes folks who have legitimate problems they cannot avoid (even if it appears that they fit in one of the above catagories). For example: overweight folks with a legitimate medical problem that prohibits them from losing weight or immigrants (refugees maybe?) that haven't been here long enough to learn functional English, etc.

Last edited by Evlevo; 09-10-2007 at 10:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 10:11 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,311,239 times
Immigrants with a close second on the handicapped obese people.

Immigrants irritate me because of them expecting me to learn their language. Handicapped obese people just means I have to walk an extra 10-15 feet when in a parking lot, not too much of a biggie.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:24 PM

also, OBVIOUSLY if someone is obese because of a medical condition such as a virus or medication, or some reason they are unable to manage their appetite/exercise because of some physical problems.. then that's reasonable. But there are people (I know a couple) who are obese due to poor diet and no exercise (one is a long haul trucker for example)... and for that I have no sympathy.

But the immigrant without english with the expectation I learn their language pisses me off more.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:34 PM

989 posts, read 2,762,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
also, OBVIOUSLY if someone is obese because of a medical condition such as a virus or medication, or some reason they are unable to manage their appetite/exercise because of some physical problems.. then that's reasonable. But there are people (I know a couple) who are obese due to poor diet and no exercise (one is a long haul trucker for example)... and for that I have no sympathy.

But the immigrant without english with the expectation I learn their language pisses me off more.
I kinda had to throw in that qualifier about obese people since someone neg rep'd me for it (I thought it went without saying, but I guess not).

Old 09-11-2007, 06:30 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Seriously, someone gave you negative rep points for the obese people?!

Ok, personally, I think you should've made this a multi-choice one. I would've voted for the immigrants and handicapped obese.. I mean, I can understand people who honestly have a problem that makes them obese, but for those individuals who have "hand-to-mouth" disorder while their body assimilates to the couch..... I have no mercy.

And yes, there was a case where a person was on the couch sooo long that their body partially graphed into the fibers of the couch. I've seen people eat themselves into a XXXXXL and then blame it on genetics. In fact, one person I know has this problem has two daughters who are afraid to become their mother.

Immigrants who come to this country legally and properly should learn the unofficial language of the land. Yes, it's not official, but do you want to know the reason why? Because if the politicians did make American English the official language, they wouldn't get votes from all the individuals who have failed to learn english when becoming a citizen.

I may know spanish, but when I worked at Wal-mart, I refused to use it to help customers. ESPECIALLY when it came to the pharmacy... Rude and "anti-customer service," yes, but if people are going to buy drugs, then they need somebody within their own group who speaks both languages to interpret for them... not yell at Wal-mart because the labels aren't in spanish.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:45 AM

2,935 posts, read 5,000,340 times
None of those really irritate me that much. "Fat people trying to say they're handicapped" sounds kind of dumb but not really irritating. People talking to you in different languages, different cultures just make day-by-day life more interesting. If you want to move to some boring, homogenous enclave then there are plenty you can choose from, some very inexpensive to live in. If someone can drive OK with a veil that's fine by me if they want to do that... whatever happened to America being "the land of the free?"

Old 09-11-2007, 01:53 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,469,347 times
I don't understand what "fat" people has to do with the other choices. What an odd way to get an opportunity to insult them.

Immigrants who don't or refuse to learn English is something I hate. English needs to be our offical language.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:16 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
I voted against "multiculturalism", for I believe it is vastly more far-reaching than the other problems, and, in fact, is really the CAUSE of them. Multiculturalism sounds exciting and sophisticated, but few people are willing to think it through. Culture is not just food & music. Culture includes virtually everything we learn from our earliest moments.----The meaning of life,-- the relationship between parent and child,-- Women's rights----the concept of seeking legal recourse, as opposed to private revenge;---The view of the government and police as our servants, or our oppressors---whether to "dialogue" with people we disagree with, or to simply "shut them up"----the concept of separation of church and state,-- and the list goes on. Every bit of this, and more, are included in a nation's "culture". Even the ability to "trust in strangers", inherent in western cultures, is a foreign concept in many parts of the world, where others are judged by their tribal affiliations or "family connections". Here in the West we've learned that we must trust the person's "position"--(i.e., doctor, teacher, police officer, government official) without thinking about what "tribe" he's in. We are taught to trust in the basic structure of society, not in our own family circle. We are passionately determined not to let "corruption" gain a foothold in our legal system, and we prosecute it vigorously when it's detected.

I don't believe these cultural concepts are "negotiable". I don't think 2, 4, or 11 cultures can peacefully co-exist side-by-side in one country. I think cultures have differing concepts of "aggression", and I think, if left alone, the more aggressive culture will simply overwhelm the more passive one, until only one culture is left.

Putting it in other words, I don't think it's in our nature to "share" power indefinitely. Either "we" (western culture) are going to be in charge, or somebody else is. I don't think there's such thing as a voluntary "live and let live", unless it's enforced by some sort of draconian police force. And that's not the kind of country I'd want to live in....

Old 09-11-2007, 02:29 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,089,314 times
No on multiculturalism, people get along better when they think alike. Obesity a physical genetic condition that causes one to always be hungry known to science Brookhaven National Laboratory - A Passion for Discovery Many somewhat overweight these days from the western-diet and lack of exercise but this is on a much lesser scale than morbid obesity. Many heavy people have medical problems as a result, so may need a handicapped parking space.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlevo View Post
I kinda had to throw in that qualifier about obese people since someone neg rep'd me for it (I thought it went without saying, but I guess not).
hence the timing diffrence between my posts.... cause it happened to me too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies