Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 07:59 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,202,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Historically, most recent wars were initiated by Democratic governments.

You could say in a way the Civil War was, since the Democrats were largely associated with the South.
Abe was a Republican and he was the AMERICAN prez. He brought the country to war against itself. Ask anyone south of the Mason-Dixie Line.
Quote:

World War I - Woodrow Wilson, Democrat
We were drawn into this war by the Germans sinking our ships. We stayed out for several years, and if you look closely there was a great public debate about which side we would take.

Quote:

World War II - Franklin D. Roosevelt, Harry S. Truman
I think the Japs had something to say about that one. Seems we stayed out of WWII until we were attacked...

Quote:

Korean War - Probably the exception

Vietnam War - LBJ
Wrong, we got involved in Nam while Eisenhower was in office.

Quote:

The wars in the Middle East, yes were started by Republicans. But Obama isn't really any less of a warmonger than the Republicans, but why are conservatives/Republicans seen as being more pro-war?
Because the right are war mongers, you have McCain saying let's go to war EVERY time there's a dispute around the world. Imagine if he win in 2008.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 08:03 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Abe was a Republican and he was the AMERICAN prez. He brought the country to war against itself. Ask anyone south of the Mason-Dixie Line.

We were drawn into this war by the Germans sinking our ships. We stayed out for several years, and if you look closely there was a great public debate about which side we would take.

I think the Japs had something to say about that one. Seems we stayed out of WWII until we were attacked...

Wrong, we got involved in Nam while Eisenhower was in office.

Because the right are war mongers, you have McCain saying let's go to war EVERY time there's a dispute around the world. Imagine if he win in 2008.
I do agree if ever a war was justified WWII would be it. WW1 is more debatable, but yes German attacks on US shipping had something to do with it.

Yes but Johnson was the one who pushed the button.

While I agree Republicans have gone a bit extreme since Reagan (with Bush Snr a possible exception), I don't really see how the Democrats have been any less pro-war, or spent any less on the mlitary. Whether Clinton or Obama.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:06 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
It's not just wars, it is defense spending by republicans:

Democrats tend to stand for "progress" in society, development, positive ...... Dems generally favor reducing or maintaining defense spending.

Then they should stop using the military they refuse to fund to wage undeclared wars.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:15 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
American Leadership and War

Old 03-16-2012, 08:21 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,442,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
The Bush administration ruined it for people not very politically aware. I'm a young person whose first glimpse into politics was Bush. The audacity and cavalier attitude of some conservatives and republicans doesn't help either. It's like they don't even care. Look at how vicious conservative people were and are to arabs and muslims simply due to 9/11. That rage and fear from the American people was all they needed go kill thousands of innocent people.

Some republicans even suggested (I'm not sure if they did) taking money from social programs to support war efforts during the Cold War, and that wasn't even an actual war, so I wonder how money was allocated during an actual war?

It's only a stereotype, but republicans are just known as the people who don't care about other countries unless there's money to be made there, disregarding social issues. The whole Amurica, F**k Yeah" mentality where people think war is awesome and cool because we're saving the world and killing bad guys for America's continued glory. Those people are usually republicans.
Unfortunately I had to see Bush as my first president as well although I did live during the Clinton Administration I don't remember anything about it. I wish America would change its stance on war. We use to be the supplier of war equipment to other nations now we are the ones who start wars and bring other nations (NATO) in.

I don't believe either party actually likes war though. Conservatives are more "you punch me, I kill you" when it comes to war which pretty much means they fight as soon as possible when it comes to wars. And I disagree with you; a lot Americans don't like war but maybe our government does. With that said yes when war does start typically republicans will be happier about it. I believe if there was a public vote maybe two years after 9/11 on if we should go to war in Iraq and Afghanistan then we would have said no. But when 9/11 happened we did want war, that's why we would have to wait.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:33 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,202,822 times
Quote:
I do agree if ever a war was justified WWII would be it. WW1 is more debatable, but yes German attacks on US shipping had something to do with it.

Yes but Johnson was the one who pushed the button.

While I agree Republicans have gone a bit extreme since Reagan (with Bush Snr a possible exception), I don't really see how the Democrats have been any less pro-war, or spent any less on the mlitary. Whether Clinton or Obama.
Did a lot of research for a high school paper, pre internet. America's entry into WWI is complex, Back then the biggest immigrant groups in America were Germans and English. While the Germans didn't push real hard for us to join the Germans early on they wanted neutrality as did Wilson. It was the republicans and their Preparedness Movement that were angling for war early on. Wilson resisted the republicans until the war war nearly over. Ironically we lost nearly as many men to illness as to combat deaths.

Eisenhower put us in Nam, supporting our ally France. Kennedy continued the policy, just before he was killed he was planning a withdrawl. As soon as LBJ got into office he scraped the withdrawl discussions. My opinion is the generals bullied Johnson and he went along.

Republicans have a few other minor wars and conflicts:

Spanish-American, Granada, Nicaragua, Somalia,

Old 03-16-2012, 09:55 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Did a lot of research for a high school paper, pre internet. America's entry into WWI is complex, Back then the biggest immigrant groups in America were Germans and English. While the Germans didn't push real hard for us to join the Germans early on they wanted neutrality as did Wilson. It was the republicans and their Preparedness Movement that were angling for war early on. Wilson resisted the republicans until the war war nearly over. Ironically we lost nearly as many men to illness as to combat deaths.

Eisenhower put us in Nam, supporting our ally France. Kennedy continued the policy, just before he was killed he was planning a withdrawl. As soon as LBJ got into office he scraped the withdrawl discussions. My opinion is the generals bullied Johnson and he went along.

Republicans have a few other minor wars and conflicts:

Spanish-American, Granada, Nicaragua, Somalia,
Yes when you average things out...maybe it's a coincidence the Dems were in power during the two World Wars. But also there wasn't any real difference between Democrats and Republicans back then. Democrats were still seen as having more ties to the South though.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:35 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
The Bush administration ruined it for people not very politically aware. I'm a young person whose first glimpse into politics was Bush. The audacity and cavalier attitude of some conservatives and republicans doesn't help either. It's like they don't even care. Look at how vicious conservative people were and are to arabs and muslims simply due to 9/11. That rage and fear from the American people was all they needed go kill thousands of innocent people.
Conservatives and Republicans are vicious to terorrists, not to Arabs and Muslims.

Quote:
It's only a stereotype, but republicans are just known as the people who don't care about other countries unless there's money to be made there, disregarding social issues.
You're right... it is a stereotype. Not true at all.

Quote:
The whole Amurica, F**k Yeah" mentality where people think war is awesome and cool because we're saving the world and killing bad guys for America's continued glory. Those people are usually republicans.
Wrong again.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:50 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,193,705 times
Quote:
But Obama isn't really any less of a warmonger than the Republicans
Prove it. The rest of your post was good. It didn't fall into the trap of whining like a small child like you see in the posts of royslittleboy and other people, so prove what you're saying here. I don't recall the US being pulled into conflicts recently. The US had a pretty passive role in Libya. I don't recall a ton of troops being deployed. I do recall timelines for withdrawal from major conflicts the merits of which can be debated, but prove what you say here.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:43 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Quote:
Baloney, we were intentionally and knowingly provoking both Germany and Japan. FDR desperately wanted war; this is well documented. We got what he wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies