Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 06:50 AM

13,703 posts, read 9,036,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
"I will promise you this: that if we haven't gotten our troops out by the time I'm president it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. I will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama, October 27, 2007
Well, he was talking about Iraq.

Anyway, I certainly agree: we must exit Afghanistan. As so many others have pointed out on so many threads, this country has never been 'conquered', and we certainly will not do so. I recall when the Soviets invaded in 1979, several pundits stated that "Now the Soviets have their Vietnam", which turned out to be true.

My exit strategy? Send over airplanes, have our men and women take a seat, and fly them home. If cargo planes can bring back equipment, fine. Otherwise, destroy it.

It is a pity that we did not leave after whipping the Taliban in 2002. If we had exited then, the people (of both Afghanistan and USA) would have rejoiced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 06:58 AM

10,836 posts, read 14,956,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Well, he was talking about Iraq.
Good deal, good to know we're finally out of Iraq!

Old 03-19-2012, 07:05 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,883,805 times
The realization that creating a stable Govt in Afghanistan cannot be done. The goal was lofty, but, Biden was correct. NATO needs to wind it down ASAP.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:28 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,665,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I just watched "Meet the Press" John McCain was on saying that we shouldnt be thinking of pulling out of Afghanistan but stay the course and achieve victory.. He never did paint a picture of what victory would look like so i was wondering if any one could tell me what would constitute victory by our continued occupation of the country.
I personally am one of those who thought it was a mistake to go there in the first place and think the prudent move at the moment would be to bring every one home.
Is this Stay the course attitude wide spread in the Republican community?
You're probably not going to like my answer, but I will give it anyways. The primary reason we are in Afghanistan to stop another terrorist attack. I know it seems way too simple to be true, but that's really what this about -- not stealing resources, not achieving some Nixonian "peace with honor", etc. We are staying long enough to try to give Karzai's government a fighting chance against the Taliban.

If we leave before Karzai is able to fight off the Taliban, the Taliban will of course take over in a civil war. If they do, Afghanistan will again become a safe haven for terrorists from the Arab world who are intent on striking targets in the western world. We'll be where we were in 2000. Can terrorists plot against us from any location? Yes -- but having a place like Afghanistan to hide out makes them a lot more effective. It's harder to hatch a good plot in a nation that has the resources, know-how and willingness to thwart it.

I know it sounds simple, but sometimes a cigar really is just a cigar. We're trying to deny an enemy a strategic advantage by having a failed state to hide out in.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:31 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,424,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
McCain is not the President. All he can do is talk. Who cares what he says?

Obama, on the other hand, has the power to extricate us from this thankless, barbaric tribal war.

Why doesn't he?
McCain is a senior member of a lot of committees that have a lot more to say then you think.

We should get out, by the end of the year. We can't just up and pull everyone out tomorrow, but the process of draw down and leaving by years end should begin.

But I always ask this, who is the Republican alternative? Romney wants to increase troop numbers, and Santorum refused to say what he would do now, if he was President.

Neither one of the major parties is going to pull out now, at least Obama has set a deadline for withdrawing. None of the Republican nominees (other than Paul), has stated that. Ron Paul will never be President.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
McCain is a senior member of a lot of committees that have a lot more to say then you think.

We should get out, by the end of the year. We can't just up and pull everyone out tomorrow, but the process of draw down and leaving by years end should begin.

But I always ask this, who is the Republican alternative? Romney wants to increase troop numbers, and Santorum refused to say what he would do now, if he was President.

Neither one of the major parties is going to pull out now, at least Obama has set a deadline for withdrawing. None of the Republican nominees (other than Paul), has stated that. Ron Paul will never be President.

I think no matter what happens we will leave in 2014. I don't care who wins the election. We're leaving in 2014. I don't care what happens on the ground. We'll leave in 2014. The die is cast on this. My opinion. (That's going to be late 2014 -- like December.)

Old 03-19-2012, 03:53 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,424,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I think no matter what happens we will leave in 2014. I don't care who wins the election. We're leaving in 2014. I don't care what happens on the ground. We'll leave in 2014. The die is cast on this. My opinion. (That's going to be late 2014 -- like December.)
I think where the rubber meets the road is, are we leaving a operating base there for special ops and drone missions?

I'm not sure what the entire plans are, but "getting out" could mean very different things.

Even John McCain, in his MTP interview said "Well we have bases in Germany, Japan, Korea, Iraq, etc, and the American people are ok with that."

Meaning, he thinks, and he is probably right, that we'll have functioning bases within the boundaries of Afghanistan for decades to come.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:57 PM

31,121 posts, read 22,155,492 times
We got Bin Ladin, time for us to go! Weve already proven that we can go into a country, destroy it without much loss. It's staying there that is detrimental and expensive.

Get out of Afganistan already.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I think where the rubber meets the road is, are we leaving a operating base there for special ops and drone missions?

I'm not sure what the entire plans are, but "getting out" could mean very different things.

Even John McCain, in his MTP interview said "Well we have bases in Germany, Japan, Korea, Iraq, etc, and the American people are ok with that."

Meaning, he thinks, and he is probably right, that we'll have functioning bases within the boundaries of Afghanistan for decades to come.
I'm sure we'd like to -- whether or not we'll be able to negotiate it remains to be seen. We were trying to leave some FOBs in Iraq, which never made sense to me. We have Kuwait. Why do we need Iraq? We don't have good land in central Asia though -- so a foothold in Afghanistan is important.

McCain's talk of Germany and Japan is a little kooky though. Kuwait is basically like German or Japan -- it's practically a place you can bring your family (not quite there yet). Afghanistan will never be that.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:00 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,265,186 times
I don't even know what "stay the course" means anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies