Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you better off now than in January 2009?
Yes 61 52.59%
No 46 39.66%
No change 9 7.76%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 01:07 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I am doing better. I changed jobs to do something different and to get a higher salary in the process. I also moved so I could buy a house right after the housing crash.

I adapted to the recession. If I would have kept my same job and not moved, I would have been must worse now.
Too bad more people didn't go your direction. However, there may not have been enough new, better paying jobs to go around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 01:10 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I think having one of the leading RWNJ's bitching about Medicaid is hilarious. Big government welfare is bad but his personal big government welfare is good.

Be true to yourself and refuse all government payment for anything.
But Greg I have been paying on Medicare since its inception and you want to make Medicare the same as Medicaid and they just aren't the same thing. Maybe someday when you reach the age of SS retirement and are forced onto Medicare you will begin to see beyond you present left leaning bent.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:12 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
But Greg I have been paying on Medicare since its inception and you want to make Medicare the same as Medicaid and they just aren't the same thing.
Two-thirds of Medicaid expenses go towards taking care of Medicare enrollees like you. Besides, how much do you think you paid into the system?

Old 03-19-2012, 01:12 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Much, much worse. Some of it is my own fault but much of it has to do with the horrible state of the economy since then and I've seen very little improvement.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:18 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
In my experience...

YMMV

It is a whole hell of a lot harder to find an actual full time job. Everyone wants to give part time, no one wants to give benefits, (insurance, etc), no one wants to give hours, they want you to work as a temp or seasonal or independent.

Prices are ridiculously higher than they used to be not just in gas but for Crying Out LOUD! wth!!!!!! with the meat prices??!?!

And that stuff never goes back down. It just keeps going up. Oh sure, it'll go down 5 cents for a week or so or a month but then back on up it creeps.

Wages are lower. Hours are fewer. Everyone wants to be the priority but no one wants to offer anything that allows you to make them the priority because you're too busy busting your arse at the three other jobs you have just trying to make it because the prices are out of control and you have no fricken medical or dental insurance so GOD FORBID anything happens. Even something small can put a huge dent in your budget.

In 2009, I had a full time job, a savings, insurance, and while prices were higher than I wanted them to be, it seems they have almost doubled in two years. Hmm, our wages are not reflecting that.

I most certainly blame St. Hope and Change for it since he decided it was a splendid idea to bail everyone out, except, that is, the working stiff. Oh sorry, I think I got $9 on his "tax break". Wooohoo!

I blame all the idiots who allowed the housing crisis to happen and I blame all the idiots who bought what they couldn't afford.

I'm just trying to get by and I'm tired of paying for everyone's mistakes and greed. Yah, it's definitely changed in two years.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:18 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Kind of a mixed bag here. Underwater on my house (slightly), increase in salary, wife found a good job, we paid off several debts, will soon have nothing but the mortgage. We are thankful to have weathered the recession this well.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:20 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Too bad more people didn't go your direction. However, there may not have been enough new, better paying jobs to go around.
It is ok. I would be more than comfortable taking a job overseas or starting up my own business if need be.

No one owes me a job.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:21 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
In my experience...

YMMV

It is a whole hell of a lot harder to find an actual full time job. Everyone wants to give part time, no one wants to give benefits, (insurance, etc), no one wants to give hours, they want you to work as a temp or seasonal or independent.

Prices are ridiculously higher than they used to be not just in gas but for Crying Out LOUD! wth!!!!!! with the meat prices??!?!

And that stuff never goes back down. It just keeps going up. Oh sure, it'll go down 5 cents for a week or so or a month but then back on up it creeps.

Wages are lower. Hours are fewer. Everyone wants to be the priority but no one wants to offer anything that allows you to make them the priority because you're too busy busting your arse at the three other jobs you have just trying to make it because the prices are out of control and you have no fricken medical or dental insurance so GOD FORBID anything happens. Even something small can put a huge dent in your budget.

In 2009, I had a full time job, a savings, insurance, and while prices were higher than I wanted them to be, it seems they have almost doubled in two years. Hmm, our wages are not reflecting that.

I most certainly blame St. Hope and Change for it since he decided it was a splendid idea to bail everyone out, except, that is, the working stiff. Oh sorry, I think I got $9 on his "tax break". Wooohoo!

I blame all the idiots who allowed the housing crisis to happen and I blame all the idiots who bought what they couldn't afford.

I'm just trying to get by and I'm tired of paying for everyone's mistakes and greed. Yah, it's definitely changed in two years.
I think this is kicker. That damn housing bubble was a royal screw job for the whole country, except the few that it launched into the stratosphere for ill-gotten gains (boomer property owners on the coasts, mortgage and realty folks, and Wall Street scum).

Old 03-19-2012, 01:25 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Moving forward with my career, making more money then I ever thought I would, possibly moving back to my home state, one year old little girl, son is doing good in school.

Lifes good.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:30 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
And these "idiots" should also be credited for the "good economic times" of the 2000s... if you saw any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies