Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 02:28 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times

Advertisements

I just watched "Meet the Press" John McCain was on saying that we shouldnt be thinking of pulling out of Afghanistan but stay the course and achieve victory.. He never did paint a picture of what victory would look like so i was wondering if any one could tell me what would constitute victory by our continued occupation of the country.
I personally am one of those who thought it was a mistake to go there in the first place and think the prudent move at the moment would be to bring every one home.
Is this Stay the course attitude wide spread in the Republican community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 03:08 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,342,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I just watched "Meet the Press" John McCain was on saying that we shouldnt be thinking of pulling out of Afghanistan but stay the course and achieve victory.. He never did paint a picture of what victory would look like so i was wondering if any one could tell me what would constitute victory by our continued occupation of the country.
I personally am one of those who thought it was a mistake to go there in the first place and think the prudent move at the moment would be to bring every one home.
Don't know about the Republican community, but the President sure buys it. And he's a Democrat.

Obama's in charge. Ask HIM what victory in Afghanistan looks like. It's his war.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:13 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,201,191 times
Unfortunately, pulling out of Afghanistan will be more difficult than Iraq was, since we seem to be more entrenched there. Count in that trillion+ dollar mineral deposit they found, and I think we're going to have a vested interest in that country for a LONG time.

It's too bad, really. It's time for our servicemembers to come home. IT'S TIME FOR MY FRIENDS TO COME HOME. FOR GOOD. They've gotten such a bad rep for being pawns in some global game of chess, when many of them were already in the service or had no other option when the economy fell out from under us. And the mothers, and the fathers, aunts, uncles, cousins, neices, nephews, brothers, and sisters...sons and daughters... they need to be reunited with their families.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Unfortunately, pulling out of Afghanistan will be more difficult than Iraq was, since we seem to be more entrenched there. Count in that trillion+ dollar mineral deposit they found, and I think we're going to have a vested interest in that country for a LONG time.

It's too bad, really. It's time for our servicemembers to come home. IT'S TIME FOR MY FRIENDS TO COME HOME. FOR GOOD. They've gotten such a bad rep for being pawns in some global game of chess, when many of them were already in the service or had no other option when the economy fell out from under us. And the mothers, and the fathers, aunts, uncles, cousins, neices, nephews, brothers, and sisters...sons and daughters... they need to be reunited with their families.
Helping Obama exit Afghanistan gracefully is not worth anyone's dad.

Out NOW, Mr. President.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:24 AM

38,646 posts, read 26,398,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post

I understood at the time that we went there to kill people.

OK, now that those people are dead, why are we still there?

I've been asking this question for a long time.

Afghanistan has been given free elections and our example of representative democracy, if they still want to live in the dark ages, we can't change that.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:49 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
John McCain is a bitter old man, don't listen to him.

We went into Afghanistan because their controlling power was allowing a safe haven for Al Qaeda to plan attacks against the United States. Forget that most of the 9/11 attacks were planned in Germany and in Saudi Arabia.

Most of the hijackers were from Saudi Arabia.

Terrorism isn't a military problem, its a law enforcement problem.

I think time has proven that we should have either never gone into Afghanistan, or we should have had a much more limited of an operation, with special ops attacks launched from Russia or Pakistan.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
John McCain is a bitter old man, don't listen to him.

We went into Afghanistan because their controlling power was allowing a safe haven for Al Qaeda to plan attacks against the United States. Forget that most of the 9/11 attacks were planned in Germany and in Saudi Arabia.

Most of the hijackers were from Saudi Arabia.

Terrorism isn't a military problem, its a law enforcement problem.

I think time has proven that we should have either never gone into Afghanistan, or we should have had a much more limited of an operation, with special ops attacks launched from Russia or Pakistan.
McCain is not the President. All he can do is talk. Who cares what he says?

Obama, on the other hand, has the power to extricate us from this thankless, barbaric tribal war.

Why doesn't he?

Old 03-19-2012, 05:36 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,818,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
McCain is not the President. All he can do is talk. Who cares what he says?

Obama, on the other hand, has the power to extricate us from this thankless, barbaric tribal war.

Why doesn't he?
I think regardless of left or right, the right wing military industrial complex completely controls the nation. The right want as much war as possible, and the left not as bad, but are still guilty.
Congress could simply refuse to pass any more military spending which would force the troops to come home, but fat chance that will ever happen.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:45 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,943,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Don't know about the Republican community, but the President sure buys it. And he's a Democrat.

Obama's in charge. Ask HIM what victory in Afghanistan looks like. It's his war.
"I will promise you this: that if we haven't gotten our troops out by the time I'm president it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. I will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama, October 27, 2007

Old 03-19-2012, 05:45 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
GET THE HELL OUT NOW!

I do not care if Afghanistan is the new King Solomon’s Mines. We can buy the stuff or are we supposed to just steal it. I still think the entire war is set up so the oil companies only have to bribe one thief to protect their pipelines.

Well screw the warmongers, the punishers, the mineral exploiters and the oil companies. Their profits are not worth the lives of the Afghanis or the Americans.

I would like to see us offer asylum to any of the Afghanis that collaborated with our forces and any and all women that want to escape that hell hole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies