Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 07:28 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times

Advertisements

Google your name? Sure. Get Facebook or email login info? No way. People have the right to keep their social lives private, and separate from their professional lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheNameOfGod View Post
Yes. If you got nothing to hide why be afraid?
Maybe I do? I am gay and want to choose who knows that. I don't advertise my orientation in the professional arena but I am open about who I'm dating in my social life. Having something to hide doesn't always mean it's bad. Sometimes people are just protecting themselves from unfair but nevertheless legal (in many states) discrimination.

Before the Internet, people had the right to keep their social and professional lives separate. I don't think the just cause we have the means now, that makes it okay to essentially stalk people's private lives.

An employer could use Facebook to bar out Black employees, and they wouldn't have to mention anything about it. They could take one look at someone's profile picture and decide that person is too ugly. And that discrimination would be completely off-record because the employer would just never contact the candidate again. There are just too many opportunities for "off the record" discrimination.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I wouldn't say they have a right to ask such things. But can they ask? Sure. I'd be amazed if even one person, even in this economy, would be a big enough idiot to actually give away their password. I mean seriously, you'd have to be a monumental sucker to do so. Then they wouldn't hire you anyway for having no spine whatsoever. And who in their right mind would want to work for anyone who wants that kind of control over you? Oh yeah, a monument sucker, that's who.
Or they could assume you have some big bad secret when you just have boundaries and consequently not hire you. It could be used as something to hold over your head. "Oh you're not willing to bend over for Uncle Sam? Too bad, no employment opportunities for you."

Old 03-24-2012, 10:44 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,746,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheNameOfGod View Post
Yes. If you got nothing to hide why be afraid?
So if the police show up at your door demanding to search your home without a warrant, do you let them in because "you've got nothing to hide"?

Old 03-24-2012, 11:17 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Have two facebook accounts. One very professional and only for work.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:12 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Maybe I do? I am gay and want to choose who knows that. I don't advertise my orientation in the professional arena but I am open about who I'm dating in my social life. Having something to hide doesn't always mean it's bad. Sometimes people are just protecting themselves from unfair but nevertheless legal (in many states) discrimination.

Before the Internet, people had the right to keep their social and professional lives separate. I don't think the just cause we have the means now, that makes it okay to essentially stalk people's private lives.

An employer could use Facebook to bar out Black employees, and they wouldn't have to mention anything about it. They could take one look at someone's profile picture and decide that person is too ugly. And that discrimination would be completely off-record because the employer would just never contact the candidate again. There are just too many opportunities for "off the record" discrimination.
If an employer wants to discriminate they will, and they will see you when you show up for an interview so what difference does it make if they see your picture on the internet first? I don't think that getting an applicant's password is needed, though, since in most cases we can find a lot about a person on the internet without it anyway, especially now with smartphone
metadata. When it comes to discrimination, the standard "we chose someone that was better qualified" or even "we decided to go with someone else" is hard to use in court as grounds for a lawsuit. No law requires any more explanation for not selecting someone.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:21 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
My profile on Facebook is entirely private. You cannot find it in search.

Regardless, I would not want to work for a company that would be intrusive enough to ask for my login to Facebook OR email. If I were asked for those, I would decline, and end the interview.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:27 PM

576 posts, read 586,254 times
They should absolutely have the right to ask. And everyone would have the right to decline.

Its up to the individual to decide how important is it to let people know they got wasted the previous night or that they are taking a dump right now. If they would rather do that and have it possibly come back to bite them when competing against other prospective employees then that is on them.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardianlady View Post
So .....glad that I don't even use Facebook.
I created an account right after I graduated college in 2005. I havent posted anything on my wall or comments on anyone else's in years now. I do keep it active in order to get in touch with people I may need/want to but I cant believe some of the things people put on there.

I would give my password to a potential employer but there is nothing there for them to see really.

Then again, what jobs are asking for this? If its McDonalds, they can go screw themselves. If its for a CEO position for a large corp I would have no problem giving them that info.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
They have no "right" to ask for those things. Where do you get such ideas?
They should have the right to ask. You have the right to decline. They should NOT have the right to force.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies