Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 01:44 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
I'm curious about the 2nd paragraph. How did you come to this conclusion? And if we are going to use that at an arguement, the blame is out our feet. I would imagine it would be hard to be urbane and to continue a semblance of the normal education process when your country is being blown to bits and the only legal system in place is that of the US military. And if blown to bits isn't enough, how about we add in the starvation and depleted uranium problem or the just plain deplorable living conditions.
Do you know any Iranians? They are faced with a government that is similar to what ours would be if Jerry Falwell were President and the Christian Coalition held all nine seats on the Supreme Court.

Given their situation, you'd be ready -- more than ready -- for a radical change of course.

Unless of course, you're a bug burkah fan, who is willing to risk being whipped for uncovering your head or stoned to death for adultery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 01:56 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,123,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Do you know any Iranians? They are faced with a government that is similar to what ours would be if Jerry Falwell were President and the Christian Coalition held all nine seats on the Supreme Court.

Given their situation, you'd be ready -- more than ready -- for a radical change of course.

Unless of course, you're a bug burkah fan, who is willing to risk being whipped for uncovering your head or stoned to death for adultery.
Okay, so the Falwell comparision makes me shudder. Yikes! I don't want to imagine that world. I am not suggesting that the Iranian people are not ready for a change, nor do I find the oppression of women to be tolerable. I was simply inquiring about your logic in comparison of Iraq to Iran, particularly the urbane/educated remark.

And so what if I were masochistic?

Old 09-13-2007, 02:02 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,257,117 times
Quote:

I hold firm to my belief that bringing down Iran's current ruling group of aging religious fanatics would be in everyone's best interest -- not least, the people of Iran, who are urbane and educated to a degree not present in Iraq.
Where did you obtain information that Iraqis were not an educated population?

Refugees International: Iraqi Refugees: Resettlement Questions and Answers (http://www.refugeesinternational.org/content/article/detail/10173 - broken link)
Prior to UN economic sanctions (1990-2003) and the current conflict, Iraq had one of the most highly educated, urban populations in the Middle East. There was a large middle class of professionals and a strong university system. Today, some of the most vulnerable groups being persecuted in Iraq include intellectuals, doctors, teachers, engineers and other professionals. Many of these professionals speak English well. In addition, there are many successful Iraqi businessmen and other tradesmen.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Okay, so the Falwell comparision makes me shudder. Yikes! I don't want to imagine that world. I am not suggesting that the Iranian people are not ready for a change, nor do I find the oppression of women to be tolerable. I was simply inquiring about your logic in comparison of Iraq to Iran, particularly the urbane/educated remark.

And so what if I were masochistic?
Somehow I don't see you being that way.

Any woman who calls herself a "mook" is a) probably from New York and b) has a great, self-deprecating sense of humor.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:49 PM

You haven't answered the question of how you arrived at the conclusion previously stated.

Oh and a) is wrong.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Where did you obtain information that Iraqis were not an educated population?

Refugees International: Iraqi Refugees: Resettlement Questions and Answers (http://www.refugeesinternational.org/content/article/detail/10173 - broken link)
Prior to UN economic sanctions (1990-2003) and the current conflict, Iraq had one of the most highly educated, urban populations in the Middle East. There was a large middle class of professionals and a strong university system. Today, some of the most vulnerable groups being persecuted in Iraq include intellectuals, doctors, teachers, engineers and other professionals. Many of these professionals speak English well. In addition, there are many successful Iraqi businessmen and other tradesmen.
I don't believe I stated that Iraqis were not educated. In fact, I have worked with groups of Iraqi educators for the past four years under the auspices of a US DOE grant. My point was that the Iranians, with their centuries-long imperial tradition and more cosmopolitan outlook, are more enlightened in general than the mixed tribes and religious sects which constitute most of what remains of Iraq's population which has not fled or been otherwise displaced.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:57 PM

Quote:
You haven't answered the question of how you arrived at the conclusion previously stated.

Oh and a) is wrong.
See my reply to tigerlily above.

Not a New Yorker? A city girl, then, for sure. Not to be confused with similar pseudonyms, of course.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:03 PM

Quote:
See my reply to tigerlily above.

Not a New Yorker? A city girl, then, for sure. Not to be confused with similar pseudonyms, of course.
Bite your tongue! Or fingers!
Thinking....I'm pretty sure that I gave the approval rating for TN in a previous post. Hmmmm. Perhaps that might be a clue? Where is Steve and the thinking chair when you need him?

Old 09-13-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Bite your tongue! Or fingers!
Thinking....I'm pretty sure that I gave the approval rating for TN in a previous post. Hmmmm. Perhaps that might be a clue? Where is Steve and the thinking chair when you need him?
Well now, you've lost me completely. TN is approved? Steve has a chair?

What happened to the educated Iraqis? Aside from pinching my fingers?

Old 09-13-2007, 03:24 PM

Ha Ha Ha It was an obscure reference brought about, no doubt, by my brain suffering a complete meltdown at the very prospect of well...nevermind.
However, if you would be so kind as to refresh your memory with the title of this thread you may see the light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies