Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 07:52 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,171,831 times

Advertisements

In my eye, it really depends on the felony. Some people have been arrested and convicted of non violent felonies, and some, have even been convicted of things they didn't do.

If a person has been convicted of a violent crime, then I would be hesitant to allow him or her to own a gun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 08:47 AM

152 posts, read 150,792 times
Yes they should be allowed. I plead guilty to a crime I was guilty of and even though I never served a day in jail prison whatever I can not get a weapon. I have heard its damn near impossible to try and ask for my right to own one back as well because the ATF part of the program is no longer funded. The state I live in gave me my rights back but the federal government decided not to let me have them back. Its idiotic. I did my time paid restitution have been good since then and yet I can't buy protection for my family.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:45 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,140,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
What type of criminal records would exclude someomen from legally owning a gun?
Any offense involving unlawful violence, domestic violence, certain sex offenses.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
The Constitution guarantees the right of citizens to have arms. A convicted felon doesn't lose citizenship. Besides that, they are making more and more former misdemeanors into felonies these days.
True

Old 03-28-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dober1 View Post
Rather the other way around. Due to overcrowded court schedules more and more felonies are plea bargained down to misdemeanors.
True too. Espcially if you are a white and have a decent lawyer.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:52 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,089,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBBARK View Post
Actually any felony or misdemeanor with a punishment of over one year is the gold standard they use. Does it matter you only served eight months? NO!! You could have gotten two years. DENIED...on your NICS check! The guys who are misinformed in this thread show their lack of knowledge on the subject at hand. No one gives a rats ass what you THINK it should be. It's not how it is. FBI and the BATF say NO!!! The answer is NO again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBBARK View Post
They should care, said individual is in violation of both Federal as well as State and local laws. Severe penalties await individuals for selling to a prohibitited individual. Nuff said.......
Exactly....Get caught selling to a convicted felon and see who knocks on your door next.

Felony Firearm - Criminal Law Lawyer Source

Up to 10 yrs in the pen and $25,000 fine for selling to somebody who you KNOW is a felon.

The BATF is not to be trifled with because they have deep pockets and badass lawyers backing them.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:53 PM

25,850 posts, read 16,547,069 times
Quote:
What type of criminal records would exclude someomen from legally owning a gun?
I say yes, at least they are experienced unlike the weekend warriors who think they are killers because they go to the gun range and join a club.

My old man was a Marine, he knew what it was to shoot someone with a gun, that's why he never owned one his entire life and wouldn't allow guns in his house.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:56 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,762,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
then keep them in jail until you think they have served their sentence. once they get out of jail and have served their time, then they should be allowed to have all the rights and responsibilites of a citizen, including owning and using firearms as a responsible law abiding citizen.
I completely agree with this. They were charged, convicted, sentenced and served their time. That's what prison is, to serve time for the crime. Once they are released from prison and off of parole, THEY HAVE SERVED THEIR TIME! Their rights should be restored to them.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:02 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,165,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I completely agree with this. They were charged, convicted, sentenced and served their time. That's what prison is, to serve time for the crime. Once they are released from prison and off of parole, THEY HAVE SERVED THEIR TIME! Their rights should be restored to them.
Does this exend to all their rights? Should sex offenders be allowed to live across the street from a day care or grade school? How about in the same building as a child day care center?

Old 03-28-2012, 01:07 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,762,268 times
Quote:
Does this exend to all their rights? Should sex offenders be allowed to live across the street from a day care or grade school? How about in the same building as a child day care center?
Was it not clear to you? Read what I was quoting and my reply, again.

If you feel that you can't trust them, keep them in prison. If you release them from prison, THEY HAVE SERVED THEIR TIME.

What part of that do you not comprehend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies