Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 06:16 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times

Advertisements

I heard an interesting young female calling into Medved recently. Her point was essentially that while conservatives tend to rely on logic, liberals tend to 'think' via emotion. Hence in order to win over liberals, conservatives need to learn how to deploy emotion in debates instead of depending so much on logic.

I was reminded of this in the thread by Rick Roma on the NRA hoodie controversy. A lib site called 'thinkprogress' reported that the NRA was now selling concealed carry hoodies in the wake of the shooting of teenager Trayvon Martin. The commenters exploded. A typical comment was:

NRA Begins Selling Hoodies With Pocket To Conceal Handguns | ThinkProgress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie
I am speechless -- the defiant and reckless actions by the NRA continue to be shocking
Virtually none of the commenters thought to apply a little logic and ask for evidence of the product intro date. My first question was how the NRA could have possibly gotten it into production so quickly, if it was offered in reaction to the shooting that happened only a month ago. The TP commenters didn't go there. They all just lept upon a prime opportunity to emote, like Marie whom I quote above.

Well it turns out that the hoodie has been offered by the NRA for at least 8 months, as verified by CD poster 'Swagger.' No matter, I'm sure. The TP commenters will just move on to the next emoting opportunity.

This is not really as perjorative as it sounds. After all we all are a tangle of emotions. Such things as love of country, love of family etc. are all emotion-based, not logic based. Emotion isn't necessarily bad, and logic isn't necessarily good.

Anyway, bottom line is that we conservatives need to get much better at thinking and arguing in terms of emotion if we are to progress as a political movement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 07:18 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
"HER" has it completely bass ackward. Liberals tend to logically anaylize a question until it is too late for a solution while emotional Konservatives alread have every answer already in place because god told then what to do.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:25 AM

933 posts, read 1,534,245 times
I find that conservatives evoke emotion just as much. Calling Obama a nazi or a communist is an emotional response that has no logical backing. Yet this is the type of response I see from conservatives all the time on this forum.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:30 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times
The dems strategy is to throw poop on the wall, get as many to smell the poop and think it's really roses instead of poop, then when it slides of because it doesn't stick just move on and toss some more. Like monkeys at the zoo. Perfect example with the now evil NRA "hoodie" that was claimed to have been just put out. Of course they had to do something to take the eyes off the "cracker" shirts that were going around by the local looney bird lefties. More poop sliding is all it is. Sadly many smell roses from their left nostril.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:44 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,199,324 times
You do realize this could be the same the other way around, right? This is why generalizations make people sound uninformed and ignorant. Conservatives and republicans weren't using emotion when they heard the president might possibly be muslim, the religion of the same people that happened to be terrorists in 2001? Yes, it's totally logical to hate an entire religion.

Where is the logic in wanting to repeal the Supreme Court of decision of 1973 that gave women the right to abortion. I guess surely there's no emotion involved in wanting to save every baby that's ever conceived, right?

Old 03-29-2012, 08:10 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,372,640 times
I think that everyone should be an Independent. It's fine to either lean one way or the other, but you don't need to march lockstep with your party. Use your brain and think for yourself.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:23 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,366,603 times
Why can't liberals just be more logical? Why should we be the ones, as the ones who are right, correct and sound, be the ones to dummy down?

Old 03-29-2012, 08:29 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I heard an interesting young female calling into Medved recently. Her point was essentially that while conservatives tend to rely on logic, liberals tend to 'think' via emotion. Hence in order to win over liberals, conservatives need to learn how to deploy emotion in debates instead of depending so much on logic.
She does sound like a "conservative".

Old 03-29-2012, 09:17 AM

994 posts, read 725,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

Anyway, bottom line is that we conservatives need to get much better at thinking and arguing in terms of emotion if we are to progress as a political movement.
I agree with the logic vs emotion thing, but it extends to policy as well and that makes it difficult to compete in a debate. Bill Whittle did an excellent video related to this subject:

WHY WE SUCK - YouTube

So it's going to be difficult to dumb down our arguments to the liberal level without actually compromising them. Sometimes the truth just isn't pretty.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:35 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,397,060 times
It's the exact opposite and it has been proven in studies again and again. Here is one. It demonstrates that liberals are less likely to have knee jerk reactions, are better able to tolerate ambiguity.

Study finds left-wing brain, right-wing brain - latimes.com

Here is another in this I believe the paragraphs "what does the ACC do" and "what does the Amygdala do" in the context of the liberal/conservative analysis goes a long way to dismissing the OPs arguments.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/in...conservatives/

A short secton of the second article...

"liberals tend to have a larger and/or more active anterior cingulate cortex, or ACC—useful in detecting and judging conflict and error—and conservatives are more likely to have an enlarged amygdala, where the development and storage of emotional memories takes place."

Last edited by Randomstudent; 03-29-2012 at 09:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies