Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 07:32 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,929,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
We live in a highly chemical environment now and sure, I can believe that over the years it has effected us and is showing up in our offspring.

True Dat. Plus, Amercan children are so much more suseptable and fragile than they used to be. It's much harder to raise a perfect child into a healthy adult nowadays. I think Obamas' on the right track challanging the supreme court to uphold his healthcare program. It will just be easier to not have to make so many decisions for our kids. If he says Slurpies are bad, then they can be outlawed without having to go through all the wasted time with the House and Senate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 07:35 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,324,646 times
As the number of kids diagnosed as autistic has gone up, the number of kids diagnosed with the politically incorrect condition 'mildly retarded' has gone down. This may simply be better or more accurate definition.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:19 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quick, someone link to that british study about vaccinations!

Remember back in the old days people didn't get cancer....they got consumption or "wasting".

Wonder how many diagnosed sex addict there were too?

Old 03-31-2012, 08:24 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
The MSM is reporting a spike in autism of 78 percent, and the odds of having an autistic child is now 1 in 88.

CDC: U.S. kids with autism up 78% in past decade - CNN.com

Move along folks, nothing to see here...

They are still trying to push that "better diagnosis" route, but I think that most people believe by now that something is causing autism, and it's something that some powerful interest doesn't want let out of the bag. My three top culprits are:

Vaccines
Food
Pollution

The FDA keeps denying any link between any of those things and autism, even though vaccines have a very clear correlations with autism. So when is the public going to put pressure on the FDA to man up and actually investigate the cause of autism instead of explaining it away? My guess is the same time the worthless FDA bans the policy of rotating the Pharma CEOs through the head FDA positions. In other words, never.

could be pesticides

Old 03-31-2012, 08:57 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times
I firmly believe a good percentage of families with "mildly autistic" children are being scammed by the medical and pharmaceutical industries.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:03 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
I firmly believe a good percentage of families with "mildly autistic" children are being scammed by the medical and pharmaceutical industries.
Why? There's no pharmaceutical treatment for autism that I am aware of.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:05 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
I don't buy the diagnosis theory. There are simply too many kids with autistic features today that simply did not exists 60 years ago. Many people know this through anecdotal evidence. However, the diagnosis theory doesn't make sense empirically, at least not to me. As people have pointed out, the criteria for autism diagnosis has changed to become more inclusive. So as the criteria changes, we should see spikes in the diagnosis rate that correlate with the widening of the diagnosis criteria. We don't see that. Instead, we see a nice clean upward curve. Not only that, but it almost looks like an exponential curve!

Here is a link to the changes in the DSM for autism:

History of Autism in the DSM: Diagnostic Criteria for Autism Spectrum Disorders | Suite101.com

As you can see, in 1952 autism was lumped in with childhood schizophrenia (an exceedingly rare disease). It became its own category by 1980, and then was revised in 1987. They increased the categorical net again in 1994. So we should, at the very least, see little upticks in cases the correspond with these changes, we don't. From 1980 to the present we see a nice, steady increase:

http://www.autismvotes.org/atf/cf/%7B2A179B73-96E2-44C3-8816-1B1C0BE5334B%7D/AS-%20Prevalence%20Graph%2012_18.pdf (broken link)

The above site only attributes about 25 percent of the rise to increase diagnostic tools.

We also see the same in the mid 90's through 00's when isolated as a decade:

Twelve-year chart of the rise in autism cases per 1000 US children, aged 6 to 17 - Stress Hormone Levels Linked to Forms of Autism - Softpedia

So, I simply don't buy the diagnosis idea. We would see spikes with the institution of large training programs or changes in inclusion criteria, we don't.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:18 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Why? There's no pharmaceutical treatment for autism that I am aware of.
Ritalin and Aderall

Old 03-31-2012, 09:21 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Is it an autism explosion or a diagnosis explosion?
The diagnosis explosion is more like it, over diagnosis due to the fact doctors are not experts on everything and how would they know a child has a slight case of autism? My nephew is autistic and now every kid born to this family is thought to be also my sister thinks her grandson is autistic and keeps taking him to different doctors who all have different opinions. It seems today all kids who act a little different have a medical problem to explain it.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:21 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
In the past, autism was a fairly serious disorder. It had to do with failure to bond, and was quite debilitating and was a definite learning disability.

Now any kid that isn't surrounded by 2 dozen close friends at all times, who doesn't particularly like large parties or is a bit of a loner is diagnosed with autism.

All those who in the past used to be labeled as nerds or geeks are now labeled as autistic. They can have straight A's and be called high functioning autistics -- but in the past, autism wasn't viewed as a disorder that allowed you to be high functioning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies