Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 10:53 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Forcing people at gunpoint to purchase a product certainly has more parallels to communism than "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness".
President Obama has a gun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 10:55 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyyo View Post
What has happened to this country? Conservatives claim to care for sperm and egg cells prior to birth but could give a crap about how the living are doing in the current economy, they believe so much in life that they are hoping to bomb Iran into the 12th century. Years of bible learning from Televangilists and years of listening to right wing talk radio is taking its toll on the country. And to complete the dumbing down of America, there was was know nothing Sarah Palin on TV to complete the dumbing of America. Had enough? Then vote these fools out.
Are you naive enough to believe that wanting a war has a party? I have a news flash for you... Your current commander in chief is rattling the war sabre with Iran.. It's not conservative or liberal... It's politicians and power. BOth parties have started wars and neither has the market cornered on the greed and power.. Neither gives a damn about the soldiers it sends to fight and they both have an agenda that has nothing to do with freedom when they do... Wake up....

Old 04-04-2012, 11:01 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Don't know that he did that but, maybe dismissing 20 or so US Attys might have some significance. Hmmm...
Every new administration does that.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:28 PM

15,092 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The fact that the SCOTUS declares laws unconstitutional is a form of activism. There is no "inherent authority to rule on the constitutionality," as that power is not enumerated in the Constitution.

Nonsense. That "power" needs no specific "enumeration" as it is directly implied to exist naturally. Since the Supreme Court is the highest court in the land, and swears to uphold those "laws of the land" established in the constitution, that gives them not just the power to judge constitutionality, but the obligation by oath to do so.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:33 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
Wait, there's a communist running for power?

Old 04-04-2012, 11:41 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,335,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
Wait, there's a communist running for power?
lol, news to me

Old 04-04-2012, 11:48 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,660,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Tough job, some are not even that good at lying. You can so tell, if it were not true, it would be funny.

Carney, is a tool. One that trys, but cannot put the screws to most of us?
And Carney's wife, Claire Shipman is an 'on camera' contributor for ABC NEWS, c/jewel > Claire Shipman News Stories and Articles - ABC News

'Birds of a feather'

Old 04-05-2012, 12:11 AM

4,919 posts, read 4,834,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Nonsense. That "power" needs no specific "enumeration" as it is directly implied to exist naturally. Since the Supreme Court is the highest court in the land, and swears to uphold those "laws of the land" established in the constitution, that gives them not just the power to judge constitutionality, but the obligation by oath to do so.
To put it in simpler terminology .. so that our leftist friends can understand it .. (well it's worth a try anyway):
Judicial activism does not happen when you follow the law.
Judicial activism is when you don't follow the law.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:34 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Obama's comments by themselves might be overlooked but for me, at least, it's the totality of Obama's respect or lack thereof for the other branches of our government that has me concerned. He has deemed Congress something to work around with his 'we can't wait' mantra and is using regulations and executive power to circumvent Congressional action.

Then, he clearly signals his contempt for the Supreme Court with this and his earlier comments at the SOTU. When I first heard this, without the 'interpretation' of commentators, I also had the same reaction, he is trying to intimidate the court.

At the very least, I consider his actions quite un-Presidential and worry about what he thinks our government should be and act like. From what I've seen, I think Obama would be happy if there was only one branch of gov't, the Executive, and that is highly concerning to me.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:42 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
What does that have to do with the majority of those polled disapproving of Obamacare?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies