Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 09:00 AM

2,548 posts, read 2,163,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Slapping for whining is a bit of an overreach. On the other hand, throwing a temper tantrum.... That being said, there are times when a spanking is warranted.
Best thing to do when a kid throws a tantrum is to ignore them.

Hitting a kid, even during a tantrum is giving them attention, which is what they want. Besides, tantrums for 4 year olds are normal. I never believed in hitting kids for acting normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 09:01 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,763,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Slapping for whining is a bit of an overreach. On the other hand, throwing a temper tantrum.... That being said, there are times when a spanking is warranted.
My twins threw a fit when we needed to leave Chuck E Cheese when they were 3. I carried them out like two barrels, one under each arm. They screamed and flailed the whole way.

Their punishment was that they could not go back there for anything for a looooong time, no parties, nothing.

The next time we went, when they were about 5, they listened and gave me not one problem leaving from there forward.

Point being, discipline is necessary for children.

My daughters are teens now and they point out to me when kids need discipline.
I want them to have fun and enjoy things. I also want them to know that their behavior has consequences. They can either continue to have fun or just not.
Their choice.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:19 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,524 times
We shouldn't be surprised: this is another example of bad parenting. What do you think happens when anyone can have a kid? They can't even discipline their kids with a simple "No".

Old 04-04-2012, 09:24 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
I think the story is pretty funny myself.

SMH...amazing what a 4ft'er can do to normally perfectly sane people.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:41 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
Best thing to do when a kid throws a tantrum is to ignore them.

Hitting a kid, even during a tantrum is giving them attention, which is what they want. Besides, tantrums for 4 year olds are normal. I never believed in hitting kids for acting normal.

As I said, there are times where a spanking is necessary. At times I got them, and most people my age got them. There is a difference between spanking and child abuse.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:45 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Obviously that parent has problems with discipline and their own children.
Say "No" and that's the end of it. This is their problem that their kid whines and fights with them..practice some discipline with your kid.

^^This.

I've got no sympathy for people who simply want to avoid being the 'bad guy' in front of their kids.

I remember having these conversations with my kids before we left for the park. If it wasn't a day for ice cream, I made that very clear before we left the house. If they forgot and harangued me, we went home.
They got the point.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:46 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
A liberal can not say no. they would rather legislate the ice cream man on to unemployment and food stamps
This liberal can and does say "no."

Ask my kids and grandkids.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:56 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,665,685 times
What a spineless parent.......worse than Al Bundy

Old 04-04-2012, 09:59 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,224,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
What a spineless parent.......worse than Al Bundy
Al bundy would never have had money to give kelly and bud, peg would have taken his wallet

Old 04-04-2012, 10:26 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Al bundy would never have had money to give kelly and bud, peg would have taken his wallet
And Al Bundy didn't strike me as the type who wouldn't hit his kids. He might not have been "spare the rod and spoil the child", but I'd pretty sure Bud got at least one fictional asswhooping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies