Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2013, 06:42 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times

Advertisements

There have been many cases of kids getting hold of their parents car keys and then taking their car for a "joyride". All too often the consequences are tragic. I have to ask, should the parents be held responsible? I mean, they left their keys out where the kids could get hold of them. It seems like such a simple thing to secure your keys in a safe when you get home, where innocent children couldn't get to them. Should irresponsible owners be prosecuted? Should there be laws passed to force vehicle owners to secure their car keys in safes when not operating the vehicle?

Six-Year Old Steals Parents' Car, Says He Learned From 'Grand Theft Auto' - G4tv.com

Why Do Children Steal Their Parent’s Car? – January 1999 | OHEL David Mandel

13-Year-Old Steals Car, Takes Off On Thousand-Mile Road Trip to Be with 12-Year-Old Internet Boyfriend

Underage Plano Boy Takes Parents’ Car, Crashes It « CBS Chicago

14-year-old steals, rolls parents' car | ksl.com

http://neighbors.denverpost.com/viewtopic.php?p=232096
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 05:35 AM

948 posts, read 921,778 times
Depends on the situation. Case-by-case.

Old 09-29-2014, 06:52 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,788,485 times
Agree. It's situational. What parent of a six-year old expects their child to steal their car?

Old 09-29-2014, 06:57 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Good comparison the firearms.

Both deadly, tools.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:06 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
Agree. It's situational. What parent of a six-year old expects their child to steal their car?
I agree with this^ I keep trigger locks on my weapons that are easy access for my rugrats (they can shoot and know better,but that way there's no chance of an "accident" ),but who would think your kid would run off with your truck? A kid that would do that either has poor raising or is destined for the pen one day anyway.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:07 PM

559 posts, read 1,356,552 times
I was just thinking about this last night after seeing a Hyundai commercial. In the commercial a 4-6 year old is driving a sporty car and loving it. I wondered why Hyundai would make a commercial like this which in MHO is telling little kids it is ok to drive. iI am all for personal responsibility but these commercials make it look like it is normal for a child to drive.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:40 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Kids are kids. Where there is a will, there's a way.

I could add some more old saws, but the fact is there have always been kids who steal their parent's cars ever since the automobile was invented. I lost a childhood friend in the 8th grade who stole his folk's car after an argument and crashed it, going into a turn too fast.

For the first time since the car replaced the horse, we are just around the corner from lots of car theft forever. It won't be long before a car's owner will be able to program his key with a personal code, and without the code, the engine won't turn over. It's kind of like that gun lock muleskinner mentioned.

Of course, it won't stop all kids, but it will stop most of them most of the time.

And if present trends continue, increasingly more kids will use transportation other than cars to get into trouble with in the future.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:04 AM

15,532 posts, read 10,504,683 times
"Kids Stealing Parents cars, hold parents responsible??"

Yes. Keep the keys in your pocket or locked up. Some of the little darlings in my community used to sneak cars out. They are now model citizens.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:09 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Depends on the situation, but yes, the parents should be held responsible because the children are their responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies