Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 11:03 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

DALLAS — Have airline employees replaced high school deans as the arbiters of appropriate dress, or have skimpily-clad passengers forced flight attendants to act like Mother?

A second young woman has come forward to claim that Southwest Airlines Co. employees made her cover up on a recent flight.

Setara Qassim told KNBC-TV in Los Angeles that a flight attendant confronted her during the trip from Tucson, Ariz., to Burbank, Calif., and asked if she had a sweater to go over her green halter-style dress.

Qassim, 21, said she was forced to wrap a blanket around herself for the rest of the flight. She complained that if Southwest wants passengers to dress a certain way, it should publish a dress code.

Last week, 23-year-old Kyla Ebbert said a Southwest employee pulled her aside as she was preparing to board a plane departing San Diego for Tucson in July and told her she was dressed too provocatively to fly on the plane.

FOXNews.com - Another Woman Claims Southwest Airlines Forced Her to Cover Up on Flight - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 10:08 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times
Pictures! We need pictures!

But it is sort of funny that SouthWest would be offended when they were the ones who started skanking up the Airline industry back in the '70s with their Hot-Pants girls.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:18 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,795,499 times
Tragic story. Used to be you could count on nice food, a good movie, and hottie attendants to make your long airline trip more enjoyable. Those were the days.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:22 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Don't know if Qassim is a muslim (the "Q without a U" is my only clue)--but if she IS, she's probably confused--first "we" westerners insist that Muslim women "expose themselves" for drivers' license photos....THEN we insist they "cover themselves" for an airline flight. I'm confused too---maybe sharia law DOES make more sense. At least, it would cut down on the lawsuits......
If I was wrong about the religious ramifications, I apologize in advance....just a guess..

Old 09-14-2007, 12:08 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Don't know if Qassim is a muslim (the "Q without a U" is my only clue)--but if she IS, she's probably confused--first "we" westerners insist that Muslim women "expose themselves" for drivers' license photos....THEN we insist they "cover themselves" for an airline flight. I'm confused too---maybe sharia law DOES make more sense. At least, it would cut down on the lawsuits......
If I was wrong about the religious ramifications, I apologize in advance....just a guess..
I've flown Saudia, Emirates, and Kuwaiti airlines many times on business trips in the Middle East. Their female flight attendants are tastefully and modestly dressed, well within Islamic guidelines, without sacrificing either attractiveness or efficiency. Ms. Qassim would do well to observe their example, instead of trying to emulate Britney, as so many young women do today.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:11 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,311,239 times
There were also a lot of people that claimed they had done stuff with Bill Clinton after Lewinsky came out.

So i don't believe it unless the airline says they did kick her off.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:16 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,311,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
That's like saying someone with the last name Reznekovitz (just random stereotypical jewish name off the internet) is jewish and from isreal, so he obviously he dosen't eat pork.

Making an assumption off of someones last name when in the US is just dumb.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:17 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,771,166 times
They own the planes.....Sort of like the sign on alot store doors. "No Shirt, No Shoes, No service"

Old 09-14-2007, 12:33 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Hmmmmmmmmm. I wonder if a attractive in shape man in a speedo and t shirt would be allowed sure would give the women a little eye candy.......... LOL.....

Old 09-14-2007, 12:56 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
That's like saying someone with the last name Reznekovitz (just random stereotypical jewish name off the internet) is jewish and from isreal, so he obviously he dosen't eat pork.

Making an assumption off of someones last name when in the US is just dumb.
That's right, it's just dumb---which is why I said I "don't know" about her religion, and never even mentioned where she might "be from". That would be "racial profiling", and of course, we know there's no connection between ANY trouble on airliners and ANY religion at all....Glad you reminded me.

After all, remember a few years ago when the Reverend Robert Schuller (of the 'Crystal Cathedral') was accused of assaulting a male airline attendant? Seems Schuller was under doctor's orders not to eat cheese, and was presented a snack tray containing the offensive product (though he was not, apparently, forced to EAT it). Nevertheless, the pastor took exception to this, and apparently followed the young fellow forward and they ended up in a neck-grabbing "altercation".

That's why I ALWAYS get a little "nervous" when flying with conservative Christians...ESPECIALLY those having ties to anywhere in 'The Middle West'...you just never know what might "set one of them off"..

PS This is a "re-apology", in view of the fact that I apologized "in advance" in my previuos post..

Thanks for the reminder.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies