Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2012, 07:11 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times

Advertisements

Never really like the idea of taking from the dead or the near dead so other can live. It always reminded me of the consumption of human flesh for the sake of survival at all cost.

Here in Canada you must sign a consent on your drivers licence in order for them to "harvest" body parts...If that consent is not signed - there have been legislative attempts to create a thing called "assumed consent".

Those pushing for assumed consent give me the willies - It appears that some in the medical profession and the government look at citizens as property of the state. That not only their persons belong to the state but so do their bodies.

It has always struck me as odd that those same people who support a woman's right to choose..that she owns her own body.. are the same people - who with the other hand are saying that the body of a person does not really belong to the person but is to be used for the so-called greater good.

NOW to my point that some might find politically offensive...If the now dead person who gave up their heart...that now beats in the chest of Dick Cheney...would he NOT have given his heart away if he knew where it ended up? Which brings me to the question - Should organs be directed to specific people - as instructed by the donor and family?

I am sure that the heartless corpse that gave Cheney this life extention might just be rolling in their grave...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 07:13 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
.................NOW to my point that some might find politically offensive...If the now dead person who gave up their heart...that now beats in the chest of Dick Cheney...would he NOT have given his heart away if he knew where it ended up? Which brings me to the question - Should organs be directed to specific people - as instructed by the donor and family?

I am sure that the heartless corpse that gave Cheney this life extention might just be rolling in their grave...

So the OP thinks he is all knowing? Knows that everyone who is generous enough to donate organs has the same hatred and politics as the OP, seriously?

Old 04-06-2012, 07:16 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
^^^^

Old 04-06-2012, 07:19 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,357,458 times
I think the OP should put in writing, perhaps in an Advance Directive, that under no circumstances is he to be given any kind of transplant to save his life. That'll show 'em.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:00 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
...are saying that the body of a person does not really belong to the person but is to be used for the so-called greater good.
Dead people don't own anything.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:07 AM

If one does not make Advance Directives and/or place themselves on the organ donor registry, families make the decision after the person dies.

In China organs are harvested from executed prisoners without consent of anyone--that's how "assumed consent" works in that country.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:09 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
In China organs are harvested from executed prisoners without consent of anyone--that's how "assumed consent" works in that country.
Seems to be a better argument against executions than against assumed consent.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:10 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,877,337 times
I am someone who will need a kidney transplant in the next 8-10 years. My father and two of my uncles were also kidney transplant recipients, so this issue is very close to my heart. My 18 year old daughter passed away quite suddenly a year ago and I wanted to donate her organs, but was unable to due to the possibility of meningitis (it was negative, after the fact). My perspective on it is you won't need them where you're going, so why not give someone the gift of life? I do respect people's decision to not donate, but I will donate absolutely anything usable in my body when I go.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Seems to be a better argument against executions than against assumed consent.
"Coma" by Robin Cook comes to mind.

Coma (novel) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies