Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 11:22 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,902,340 times

Advertisements

MLK was a great man and had an even greater message. He is a role model who's standards we should all strive to live up to. But then we get to the wackjobs such as Rev. Al Sharpton, who I can only describe as a tragedy chasing, trouble making, outspoken buffoon whose message does more to keep racism alve in this country than anything else. He adopts the message of equality but misses wholeheartedly the message of peace and harmony. Basically the main difference is this:

MLK
We should all live equaly, with peace and harmony in the brotherhood of humanity

Rev. Al Sharpton
We WILL be equal and if we smell anything the slightest bit fishy, we'll get all up in your face about it

How can anyone stand behind this guy and call him a leader of their community? I'm not black, but if I were I would be ashamed to have this man as a representation of my race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 11:39 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Nonsense. I'll tell you the REAL difference between MLK and the "leaders" of today.

MLK is safely in his grave. That's the difference. If he was alive, conservatives would hate him just as much as they did when he was alive.

Which is why when MLK is invoked by a certain group of people, it should go in one ear and out the other. I disregard it myself and act as if they'd never even said his name because i know it's a load of bull.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:41 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nonsense. I'll tell you the REAL difference between MLK and the "leaders" of today.

MLK is safely in his grave. That's the difference. If he was alive, conservatives would hate him just as much as they did when he was alive.

Which is why when MLK is invoked by a certain group of people, it should go in one ear and out the other. I disregard it myself and act as if they'd never even said his name because i know it's a load of bull.
Yep, it is like when liberals now praise Goldwater or Reagan.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Yep, it is like when liberals now praise Goldwater or Reagan.
I'd never praise either guy. But that doesn't change the fact that neither one of those guys could win election for garbarge truck driver in the Republican Party today....and Republicans know damn well i'm right.

About the best i'll say for Reagan is that i'm proud to have served under him when he was president. His policies? Ehhhhh.....

Old 04-14-2012, 11:48 PM

Quote:
I'd never praise either guy. But that doesn't change the fact that neither one of those guys could win election for garbarge truck driver in the Republican Party today....and Republicans know damn well i'm right.

About the best i'll say for Reagan is that i'm proud to have served under him when he was president. His policies? Ehhhhh.....
Reagan could have won with his pre-election stances. Reagan was definitely more conservative than Romney is.

The religious right is too powerful for a Goldwater to have a chance.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:53 PM

613 posts, read 760,459 times
Quote:

True that, my man. Yeah, the things they say about Al today are the same things they said about MLK in his day.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:09 AM

You still can't put Al in the same league as MLK. His past anti-semitism and the Brawley case cannot be ignored.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
You still can't put Al in the same league as MLK. His past anti-semitism and the Brawley case cannot be ignored.
They accused King of far worse in his day. Time has eroded a lot of memories apparently. Hell, you can't even compare the conservative vitriol for Sharpton to their vitriol for King. It's not even on the same planet, let alone same ballpark.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Reagan could have won with his pre-election stances. Reagan was definitely more conservative than Romney is.

The religious right is too powerful for a Goldwater to have a chance.
No evidence exists that Reagan was more conservative than Romney. None whatsoever.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:17 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,902,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredsnowman View Post
True that, my man. Yeah, the things they say about Al today are the same things they said about MLK in his day.
Times were much different in those days. That was back when being racist was socialy acceptable and the default position. The two time periods arent even comparable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies