Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2012, 11:36 AM

19,655 posts, read 12,244,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
...and what does this have to do with the end result of a dead unarmed teen?
The unsolved rash of breakins led to a sense of hypervigilance. What exactly happened when those two collided we don't know, but we know why Zimmerman was out there watching the streets.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:37 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,605,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Fan View Post
But, Mr. Martin didn't have to stop and engage in an altercation.
I disagree. For all we know had Martin kept walking toward his home, trigger happy Zimmerman would have shot the kid in the back. I'm sorry but this wrongful death falls on Zimmerman for he should have stayed in his damn car and waited for the cops instead of taking matters into his own hands. I guarantee you he's been thinking that to himself ever since it happened.

edited to add: And by the time the cops arrived, Martin would have been safe at home and the cops would be on the scene looking for a black guy roaming the neighborhood and finding no one.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:37 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Yes, most people would shoot to kill, not just point a gun. However, I can't accept 2 claims which contradict each other. (A) Martin was on top of Zimmerman, had him pinned down, and was banging his head on the sidewalk so hard that he was losing consciousness (B) Zimmerman, who wasn't brandishing a weapon, was able to unzip his jacket, reach into his holster, take out the gun, aim it at Martin and shoot him once in the chest.

How concealed was his "concealed" weapon?
trayvon tried to steal georges gun, and the gun went off

Old 04-13-2012, 11:38 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,946,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine Shadow View Post
FL passed laws for citizens to shoot down thugs in self defense. i'm not saying that Trayvon was a thug. i'm just saying the law is a result of thugs preying on unarmed citizens.
No, you are wrong. Do you live in Florida? In fact, it was passed after violent crime had dropped dramatically. The homicide rate in Florida was down 10.5% just in the first 6 months of 2005, before this bill was signed into law. In fact, the crime rate fell for 14 consecutive years. Since SYG's passing, justifiable homicides have tripled. Maybe this is why you see Girl Scouts selling cookies in front of Publix instead of going door to door. Maybe one of them might be wearing a hoodie and get shot.

It was passed because Florida got a lot of support from the NRA.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:41 AM

756 posts, read 714,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
I said something similar a few days ago and the point is still valid.
If you are on your back being punched and your head is bouncing off the pavement, you are not thinking about the ''severity of injury'',
you want the pain to stop! Right now!
LOL

Looked like the cops just plucked Zimmerman from a booth at the local Denny's and took him down to the station in that video 30 minutes or so after his alleged life-and-death struggle (lol) with the unarmed teen.

The paranoid loser clearly overreacted by leaving his vehicle and pursuing a kid that did nothing wrong.

Sure hope he pays dearly for that...

381 posts, read 507,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Yes, most people would shoot to kill, not just point a gun. However, I can't accept 2 claims which contradict each other. (A) Martin was on top of Zimmerman, had him pinned down, and was banging his head on the sidewalk so hard that he was losing consciousness (B) Zimmerman, who wasn't brandishing a weapon, was able to unzip his jacket, reach into his holster, take out the gun, aim it at Martin and shoot him once in the chest.

How concealed was his "concealed" weapon?
i agree about point A). i doubt the head banging was severe enough to cause him to be inches near death. but zimmerman did suffer injuries and i also don't doubt he was in fear for his life. even without injuries, if i was pinned to the ground with the threat of my weapon getting into the hands of the attacker, i will draw and shoot.

with point B), one doesn't unzip to draw a weapon. from looking at his jacket, it's easy to reach underneath. when i ccw, i untuck my shirt to cover my weapon. i practice drawing my weapon in different positions, including being on the ground. this is standard practice for anyone that ccw's. the main thing is to keep a concealed weapon concealed but within easy access.

23,766 posts, read 29,078,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
oh no.... if only Martin hadn't resorted to thievery, this wouldn't have happened to him.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:42 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,605,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I am not getting much traction but i keep saying. Why didn't Trayvon clock Zimmerman up side the head with the Can/bottle of iced tea? Were it Trayvon being the attacker.
You're not getting any traction because that is a question for the deceased. Heck, I don't think Zimmerman can answer that and he was there.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:43 AM

15,535 posts, read 10,512,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
This is how I feel as well. I think Zimmerman was playing overzealous "cop" and Martin was playing "gangsta", neither backing down and the collision of those personalities in that situation was just that- a perfect storm to end in tragedy.
That is exactly what I've always thought. They both like playing the tough guy. They both remind me of little punks.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:45 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,946,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
Make sure you call his defense attorney, since you were obviously an eyewitness. Seriously, if you were there and know this to be true, Zimmerman needs you, and I encourage you to do your duty as an American citizen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
That is exactly what I've always thought. They both like playing the tough guy. They both remind me of little punks.
Possibly true. Except that one of the "punks" had a loaded weapon. The other didn't even have a knife or a rock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies