Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 01:00 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times

Advertisements

It appears that in this so old city of early American settlement freedom of speech is about to be done away with by the city dads. Free speech was one of the most important freedoms in the thinking of our founders but today it is being eroded slowly, everywhere.

During the same time period, many European countries and cities had banned all forms of street preaching, especially if it was not the official state religion. This is one of the reasons so many Christians fled to America, to escape that kind of persecution and our Founding Fathers fully understood it and vowed to prevent the same thing from happening here.

I guess we surely aren't going to keep the old rules concerning freedom of speech where religion is concerned.

Excuse Me Sir, You Can Only Speak Freely Elsewhere, Not Here - Godfather Politics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 01:11 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,445,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
It appears that in this so old city of early American settlement freedom of speech is about to be done away with by the city dads. Free speech was one of the most important freedoms in the thinking of our founders but today it is being eroded slowly, everywhere.

During the same time period, many European countries and cities had banned all forms of street preaching, especially if it was not the official state religion. This is one of the reasons so many Christians fled to America, to escape that kind of persecution and our Founding Fathers fully understood it and vowed to prevent the same thing from happening here.

I guess we surely aren't going to keep the old rules concerning freedom of speech where religion is concerned.

Excuse Me Sir, You Can Only Speak Freely Elsewhere, Not Here - Godfather Politics

roy, roy, roy...

Business owners not wanting religious fanatics harrassing their cutomers does not constitute a violation of anyone's free speech.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:33 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,496,683 times
Quote:
Your example demonstrates how one group believes their rights trump the rights of other citizens. Similar situations have been litigated and caselaw is clear.

If you're going to spout-off constantly on alleged abuses of personal rights, I think you should get yourself enrolled into some constitutional law courses, and some on U.S. history so that you understand current events and how to contextualize them.

I suspect from the wide body of your postings that you're unhappy living in the USA, if yoiu do live here. Any thoughts about where you may be happier? I'd be interested in learning. Thanks.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:50 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Quote:

Roy, you could use a lesson on "Freedom of Speech".

Old 04-16-2012, 02:13 PM

45,584 posts, read 27,203,264 times
The lesson - Occupiers, OK. Christians, not OK.

Occupiers have unions and teams of lawyers at their disposal - high risk, low reward.
Christians usually don't fight back - low risk, high reward.

It's easier and low risk to bully one Christian than a bunch of Occupiers.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:17 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,194,098 times
Quote:

You're definitely correct. Europe did ship the religious crazies over here. That's why this country gets stuck on worrying about things like gay marriage instead of how to compete economically with Germany and China.

In any case, if the preachers who are trying to annoy people and limit business in that area are so upset there's a court system to handle their concerns.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:19 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
In your case, the reverse is true.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:30 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,465,624 times
Seeing as there were Jehovah's Witness in my neighborhood the other day and Jehovah's Witnesses on my school's campus the day after that, I don't think we have to worry about restricting people's rights to preaching in the streets.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:35 PM

294 posts, read 191,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

Occupiers have unions and teams of lawyers at their disposal - high risk, low reward.
Christians usually don't fight back - low risk, high reward.

It's easier and low risk to bully one Christian than a bunch of Occupiers.
Not true. ALCJ is a law group specifically concentrating on civil liberties for Christians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
roy, roy, roy...

Business owners not wanting religious fanatics harrassing their cutomers does not constitute a violation of anyone's free speech.
Exactly. You work your ass off to grow your customer base, and some yahoo shows up to take advantage of YOUR client base. He is free to shout all he wants in the local park. See what kind of a crowd he can accumulate on his own...

Old 04-16-2012, 02:38 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,647 times
They don't allow panhandlers outside of Publix where I live. How dare they step on these poor people's rights? I just love it when I want to buy some bread and some guy follows me from the car to the store, telling me his life story and how he just needs a quarter for everything to be alright. Evil Publix has realized that I'll simply head up the road to Kroger where there are no panhandlers and thus, the poor panhandler has been stripped of his rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies