Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2012, 01:29 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,823,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
One any Jew-related issue? Explain why.
Yes, I didn't like how he supported the Arab Spring. Mubarak was a friend to Israel and kept relative peace between the countries. Now that we have "democracy" in Egypt the people are voting for the Muslim Brotherhood (who Obama welcomed into the White House) and even more radical Islamists. It is especially upsetting that we are still giving Egypt millions in foreign aid. I should add that I disagree with Obama on a whole host of issues that have nothing to do with Judiasm or Israel.

To the person who said Orthodox Jews are the ones who will vote against Obama. True as a general rule but there are always exceptions. Growing up I attended a reform temple and am as non-religious/secular as can be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 01:50 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
Our unabashed support of Israel was one of the three main reason why 9/11 occurred.
And the U.S. involvement in World War II!

Whose voices were the loudest, within earshot of FDR, to join the war in Europe? Which immigrant group?

Old 04-26-2012, 04:44 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
Here is the answer. Majority of Jews in the U.S. have favorable view of the President. Obama is actually gaining support of Jews in Israel. Not all of Israel supports zionist, warmonger netanyaho.

Poll: Barack Obama rising with Jews - in Israel - Mackenzie Weinger - POLITICO.com

Old 04-26-2012, 08:11 AM

662 posts, read 1,451,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
I'm assuming you can't figure out yett I don't care what non-Orthodox Jews think; she's still not Jewish. There's no gray area she's either Jewish or not and since her mother's mother wasn't she a full fledged gentile just like Obama.

The thing that gets me annoyed is that people use her on the list the of Jewish liberals. It's bad enough we have Nadler, Frank, Weiner (though there's a strong rumor that he's also not Jewish) ext.
In the Bible who was a Jew was decided patrilinealy. I think it's incredibly racist to declare that Diane Feinstein isn't a Jew because one grandparent wasn't despite the fact she was raised Jewishly. Her blood isn't pure enough for you?

This is a reason I am a Reform Jew. If you love orthodoxy, kol ha kavod. We are a small people, and we need to support each other.

If there weren't options like Reform, Conservative, Reconstructionist, we would lose millions of Jews. For most of us, attitudes like yours are repugnant, and we couldn't be a part of that world.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:07 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
If there weren't options like Reform, Conservative, Reconstructionist, we would lose millions of Jews.
Sadly both history and current statistical analysis demonstrate that we will lose you anyways. The Reform and Conservative movements are the dead walking. 100 years max, and once again we'll only have Orthodox Jews in the world.

If you folks would stop inter-marrying, leaving religion altogether and becoming apostates at the rates you currently do (not to mention birth rates below 2 kids per family, which is obviously unsustainable), you might have a future.

But the good news, as long as your mother and maternal grandmother are Jewish, you are 100% full blood Jews in the eyes of ALL Jews. And there's always time to do T'Shuvah. Of course you can refuse to do T'Shuvah and look forward to attending your grandchildren's baptizm's one day. Baruch Hashem, He gives us free will to choose.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:13 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,557,244 times
Quote:
In the Bible who was a Jew was decided patrilinealy. I think it's incredibly racist to declare that Diane Feinstein isn't a Jew because one grandparent wasn't despite the fact she was raised Jewishly. Her blood isn't pure enough for you?

This is a reason I am a Reform Jew. If you love orthodoxy, kol ha kavod. We are a small people, and we need to support each other.

If there weren't options like Reform, Conservative, Reconstructionist, we would lose millions of Jews. For most of us, attitudes like yours are repugnant, and we couldn't be a part of that world.
well if she it was only her maternal grandmother then she would be jewish.

you can call a pig a person but it's still a pig.

the thing about your trying to change the rules of who's a jew is going to make it that eventually most reform "jews" aren't going to be Jewish. And I can just see how upset you'll be when instead of just saying that you don't have Jewish values that you are also full fledged gentiles.

Quote:
For most of us, attitudes like yours are repugnant, and we couldn't be a part of that world.
we're growing, you're shrinking even with your trying to change the definition of who's jewish.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:21 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
I am a Gentile that is a spiritual Jew. The New Testament says we gentiles are grafted into the natural branches who are the Jews. We Christians stand by faith and are grafted into the tree of life. We are grafted in and serve the same God through Jesus Christ as a spiritual Jew.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:02 PM

662 posts, read 1,451,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
well if she it was only her maternal grandmother then she would be jewish.

you can call a pig a person but it's still a pig.

the thing about your trying to change the rules of who's a jew is going to make it that eventually most reform "jews" aren't going to be Jewish. And I can just see how upset you'll be when instead of just saying that you don't have Jewish values that you are also full fledged gentiles.

we're growing, you're shrinking even with your trying to change the definition of who's jewish.

The rules of who is a Jew were already changed. How do you explain that in Biblical times Jewish identity was passed down through the father? There was a change. Judaism is constantly changing.

Furthermore, how do you know you are so pure? It's very possible that back generations one of your great-great-great, etc. grandmothers wasn't Jewish.

That's why as Jews we need to be less judgmental of others. We are a small people; we don't have to agree, but we should respect.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:19 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,823,807 times
Quote:
The rules of who is a Jew were already changed. How do you explain that in Biblical times Jewish identity was passed down through the father? There was a change. Judaism is constantly changing.

Furthermore, how do you know you are so pure? It's very possible that back generations one of your great-great-great, etc. grandmothers wasn't Jewish.

That's why as Jews we need to be less judgmental of others. We are a small people; we don't have to agree, but we should respect.
Yes we are a small people. It's funny when I was a kid I actually thought Jews were the large majority in the world. This is because my family and most of my parents friends were Jewish.I remeber wanting to go to a YMCA summer camp instead of a Jewish camp because I wanted to do my part to support the Christian minority.

Although I eventually learned Christians were in the large majority to this day I still feel Christians are the underdogs..they have very little influence on our culture compared to the secular left.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:20 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Yes we are a small people. It's funny when I was a kid I actually thought Jews were the large majority in the world. This is because my family and most of my parents friends were Jewish.I remeber wanting to go to a YMCA summer camp instead of a Jewish camp because I wanted to do my part to support the Christian minority.

Although I eventually learned Christians were in the large majority to this day I still feel Christians are the underdogs..they have very little influence on our culture compared to the secular left.
Funniest thing I have read all day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies