Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2012, 11:33 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,545,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Something doesn't smell right to me. Why are news anchors like Anderson Cooper reporting on things that should only be discussed by an ME under oath? Then he interviewed CNN's legal analyst, Jeffrey Toobin, who said this is good news for the defense. What news? Why are there so many leaks like this in a murder trial? First Trayvon Martin's sealed high school records were leaked by the police and now we're hearing about a medical examiner's findings on a body through network news? I only know what I saw, and this is what Kelly Thomas looked like when he was beaten by cops in October. Zimmerman was walking around the police station as if he wasn't hurt at all.

By the way, why aren't the people who are boasting about the ME report mentioning that Zimmerman was on 2 prescriptions at the time of the shooting. I said he sounded drunk or dopey on the 911 tape and I was right! His physician included in his report that, prior to the shooting, Zimmerman had been taking Adderall and Temazepam. These prescription drugs often cause side effects like agitation and mood swings. So George was taking anti-anxiety drugs and walking around with a loaded 9mm gun?
I have to say that I think that George Zimmerman was a very troubled guy. The meds are a reflection of that obviously.

It seems that GZ was a guy who didn't really have the drive to make successful gains in life and he felt empowered and emboldened by his Neighborhood Watch position and his gun. He was the very worst combination: a lifelong loser with self esteem issues, depression and a gun. It was a fatal cocktail. So sad.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:34 PM

39,876 posts, read 26,537,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
I'm thinking that if they saw the entire ME report (which is often very technical and pages long) maybe they focused on the "range" (distance) because that would be information which would or could indicate whether or not at the time the shot was fired Martin was on top of Zimmerman and in very close contact. IF they were looking at the real ME report, it would have said "close" if it had been as close as I think it would have needed to be if Martin was on top at that moment.

I remember reading some of the testimony of the state investigator during the bail hearing (and, no, I can't give you a link tonight, I"m too tired) but anyway he said that Zimmerman in one of his five statements said that at one point he managed to slip out from under martin and get to his gun and that's when he shot him. He described slipping on the sidewalk out from under Martin....so if he slipped to the right, then he could have shot Martin from Martin's left upper chest side.

All speculation on my part.

Did you notice on that NBC news report that they said hundreds of pages of evidence is going to be released soon, (I think they said 300 pages) and 67 CDs of info?
I think that was what was turned over as part of discovery to the defense, not what was being released to the public. BUt I could be wrong...also tired and should be in bed! I am pretty disappointed in the quality of the reporting. The range the shot was fired from is one of the most important parts of the case, and all they say is

Quote:
Florida teenager Trayvon Martin died from a single gunshot wound to the chest fired from “intermediate range,” according to an autopsy report reviewed Wednesday by NBC News.
??? No details to support that? I'm an anal engineer type...I want to see the data, not have some reporters conclusions spoon fed to me. All the MSM is lacking in quality reporting though, not just NBC.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:36 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,018,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I agree with their need for proofreaders. However, enough with the deflection. Look at this sceario. You are on your back. Your nose has been broken. Your head cut. By all accounts this other person is kicking your azz. You are laying on your back and pull your handgun. Now...you're going to take this loaded weapon, reach up past the hands of this person who is kicking your azz, and try to bash him on the head with it? Really? This idea kind of explains why so many anti-gun people fear a criminal taking a gun from them and using it against them. I can't think of any reason to put a firearm within easy hands reach of someone stronger than me that I believe is trying to kill me. To me, it would make far more sense to keep as secure a hold of it as possible and shoot to stop the threat. Which would mean as close to my body and as far from his hands as I could. (which they do teach in CCW btw). Practically handing someone trying to kill me a loaded weapon? Not what I'd regard as a smart idea.

Toyman, by accepting the scenario that you've suggested I would be basing my assumptions on the word of George Zimmerman, who is the only source available to us. Zimmerman killed another human being; quite obviously his account of events is self-serving. He would be a fool if he made statements that could later be used against him. However, there have been witness statements and some legal analysts who find the account given by Zimmerman to be questionable in some areas. Remember that on the night of the killing, one dectective wanted to charge Zimmerman. Yes, he later recanted...but he probably likes being employed.
Zimmerman has too much to lose to not do everything possible to cover his actions; again, that's simple common sense. If I enter the realm of possibilities, I'd have to entertain the notion that Zimmerman let Martin know that he was carrying a gun. I'm uncertain why you think that I'm
"anti-gun;" I've mentioned that my father and grandfather hunted and owned hand guns for protection. My concerns are not with guns for hunting, collection, self-defense or marksmanship. Like others, issues such
as hollow point bullets and the availability of semi-automatic weapons are
areas in which reasonable people may disagree.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:36 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,948,962 times
Quote:
How recently was he prescribed these meds?
I never know what to believe, but the ABC report said it was weeks prior to the shooting. My question is "Why is this being leaked?"

Old 05-16-2012, 11:37 PM

7,516 posts, read 5,760,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
His injuries were not life threatening. All of the evidence points in that direction.
At what point in a beating does it become life threatening? When you have a Brain bleed? Your beat unconscious?

You get +2 for the tinfoil hat award

Old 05-16-2012, 11:39 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,413,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I think that both the prosecutor and GZ's defense team will try to use that to benefit their side.
I don't think GZ can use the meds to any advantage. Basically, taking prescription meds or street drugs or being drunk falls under voluntary intoxication basically. Don't think that would help GZ. But I could be wrong.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I never know what to believe, but the ABC report said it was weeks prior to the shooting. My question is "Why is this being leaked?"
Don't see how it helps Zimmerman. But maybe they think they can indicate that being under the influence of the medications made him feel more fearful for his life???

Old 05-16-2012, 11:44 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,545,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
At what point in a beating does it become life threatening? When you have a Brain bleed? Your beat unconscious?

You get +2 for the tinfoil hat award
Riddle me this....

If it were truly self defense, then why did GZ apologize to TMs family in court? (besides trying for reduced bail)

If someone broke into my house and I killed the person I would not apologize to the guy's family about it.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:45 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,948,962 times
Quote:
I don't think GZ can use the meds to any advantage. Basically, taking prescription meds or street drugs or being drunk falls under voluntary intoxication basically. Don't think that would help GZ. But I could be wrong.
Well, they were prescribed by a physician. Wouldn't that make a difference? I don't even want to think about all the people who drive while on several medications, which is very common in Florida. (lots of elderly people on meds here)

I wish I had some Temazepam right now, as a matter of fact. Seriously, I can't get any sleep. My head is killing me.

Edit: I didn't notice you wrote "prescribed drugs" Oops!

Old 05-16-2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I think that was what was turned over as part of discovery to the defense, not what was being released to the public. BUt I could be wrong...also tired and should be in bed! I am pretty disappointed in the quality of the reporting. The range the shot was fired from is one of the most important parts of the case, and all they say is

??? No details to support that? I'm an anal engineer type...I want to see the data, not have some reporters conclusions spoon fed to me. All the MSM is lacking in quality reporting though, not just NBC.
At some point the info the State turns over to defense in discovery will reach the court file, and then it will be available to the public. The question is how much of the info will be redacted and how much will be sealed.

I'm thinking if these guys are commenting on the ME report, they saw it, but maybe only briefly. Maybe they were not allowed to copy it, so they had to just look it over for a short period of time and make a few notes. If it is being leaked, it has not been filed in the court file yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies