Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2012, 12:01 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,422,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I kind of caught the tail end of this being talked about on the radio and I thought that is what I heard - that he can get out on $100,000.
I seriously wonder if there will be a surge in donations after this news. I'm sure attorneys' fees will be high in addition to all the costs associated with working the case, such as expert fees, deposition costs, some investigation costs, etc. so if $100,000 is taken out of his defense fund for bail, seems that's a big chunk of the money. Could it end up being possible that Z reaches the point of indigency and is then allowed to have an attorney appointed (probably O'Mara anyway) who will be paid by taxpayers?

Found the answer to my question. O'Mara says Z's fund has enough money to pay and will pay. Guess he will be released sometime soon.

George Zimmerman to leave jail again as judge sets $1 million bond - CSMonitor.com

"Defense attorney Mark O'Mara said Friday that Zimmerman's legal defense fund had a balance of $211,000, more than enough to cover the 10-percent non-refundable portion charged by most bonding companies."

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...orge-zimmerman

Last edited by FancyFeast5000; 07-05-2012 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: added link

Old 07-05-2012, 12:19 PM

The Court says that his decision to release Z on bond, does not restore Z's credibility.

"Judge Lester made it clear that his decision Thursday does not mean Mr. Zimmerman's credibility is restored in the eyes of the court.
"Under any definition, the defendant has flaunted the system," the judge wrote. "Counsel has attempted to portray the defendant as being a confused young man who was fearful and experienced a moment of weakness and who may have also have acted out of a sense of 'betrayal' by the system. Based upon all the evidence presented, this court finds the opposite. The defendant tried to manipulate the system when he has been presented the opportunity to do so."

George Zimmerman to leave jail again as judge sets $1 million bond - CSMonitor.com

Old 07-05-2012, 12:32 PM

11,185 posts, read 6,526,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
The Court says that his decision to release Z on bond, does not restore Z's credibility.

"Judge Lester made it clear that his decision Thursday does not mean Mr. Zimmerman's credibility is restored in the eyes of the court.
"Under any definition, the defendant has flaunted the system," the judge wrote. "Counsel has attempted to portray the defendant as being a confused young man who was fearful and experienced a moment of weakness and who may have also have acted out of a sense of 'betrayal' by the system. Based upon all the evidence presented, this court finds the opposite. The defendant tried to manipulate the system when he has been presented the opportunity to do so."

Lester went even further than that and found the 'circumstances indicate that Zimmerman was preparing to flee to avoid prosecution, but such plans were thwarted.' Strong language.

Considering gz isn't using his own money and wouldn't be out in public much anyway, today's ruling not too bad for him.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:01 PM

90,296 posts, read 120,991,693 times
Something else Lester wrote:

"Lester also wrote that in misleading the court about his finances, Zimmerman may have committed a felony — but he hasn't been charged and it technically happened before he was released on bail."

Trayvon Martin, George Zimmerman : The Two-Way : NPR

Doesn't look good for Georgie-boy!

Old 07-05-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Lester went even further than that and found the 'circumstances indicate that Zimmerman was preparing to flee to avoid prosecution, but such plans were thwarted.' Strong language.

Considering gz isn't using his own money and wouldn't be out in public much anyway, today's ruling not too bad for him.

Well, I agree, considering his circumstances the ultimate ruling is not too bad for him. At least he will be able to eat good food and have more comfortable surroundings until the trial. However, if an immunity hearing is requested, this is the judge who would have to believe his claim of being in fear for his life.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:36 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,025,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
There was a photo that was not tm. I suppose unethical people still use that photo.

The tweets haven't been debunked. They were initially posted by a conservative site, which to you = a white supremacist site. I don't think left wing sites like Media Matters and HuffPo have questioned the tweets' legitimacy, but like you, I'll wait for confirmation before posting anything from them.

You equating a family member telling a reporter why the girl was hospitalized to Deep Throat is
Sadly, some people can't grasp certain concepts even when hyperbole is used for emphasis. You calling the young woman "fair game" is under the circumstances.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:39 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,975,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post

I agree with his decision. Keep in mind that he and his wife spent a lot of the original donations before the bond hearing. IRRC they had collected $204,000 and only had $135,000 at the time of the hearing. I know a lot of people keep writing "he had expenses" but they must not live in Florida where that's a lot of money to spend in a few weeks, I'm guessing a lot more than George ever had in his life. He also was staying with a friend after he moved out of the townhouse. They used the money to pay off loans, credit cards and other debts that were totally unrelated to this case. Yet his website promised that all donations sent would go to his defense. So that was another lie.

Last edited by justNancy; 07-05-2012 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: fix typo

Old 07-05-2012, 04:34 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,401,366 times
George is clearly not George's best friend, regardless of his guilt or innocence. It's also not the first time he ticked off a Judge.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:02 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,570,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
When there is a gun within armslength of an enraged person you better use it before he does.
and he did.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:40 PM

Does anybody think Zimmerman will be released tonight?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies