Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 11:33 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,833,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Oh really. A fetus is not a person? Only to those individuals who wish it weren't so. Science says otherwise.

Abortion should be unlawful and is in many countries.

Abortion is done with malice.

Malice
Law The intent, without just cause or reason, to commit a wrongful act that will result in harm to another.

Abortion is generally without cause. It is a wrongful act, and it does result in harm to another. Thus, it is malicious.

Is a zygote, given that miscarriage doesn't happen (1 in 5 chance), not going to develop into a full-fledged human being?

You do realize that at only six weeks from conception, the baby has a heart beat. Development happens rapidly, and it's a lot sooner than most of you pro-'choicers' believe it to be.

Would you say that it is wrong to kill an unborn child at this stage?

Why would you support abortion at all? In terms of rape, was it the child's fault? Do you find it okay to abort a developed baby who happened to have been conceived from a rape. The child could be placed up for adoption.

Why do you not view an embryo or fetus as a child?

Let's go to some pictures.

Here's a baby at 12 weeks (Embryo/Fetus transition) (really 10 weeks from conception) Looks very human to me .

How about 16 weeks

Looks like an unborn child to me.

Admit it, you're not seeing things realistically.

No. It doesn't. Most abortions will stop, if it's outlawed. It's kind of the way abortion ballooned once it was made legal. About 90% of it will end if outlawed, probably a higher percentage than that.

It's not 50%. It's around 20-25%, and that's God's decision. The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away.
God does not hate or love abortion. GOD in my estimation finds stupidity hard to bear. Abortion is not the answer to our problems...humanity seeks the quick fix - the one that does not demand thought..to bring about positive change.

Abortion in time will be looked at as something the ignorant primitives practiced..those that were to dumb and lazy to figure out how to cure human problems...It's easy to get rid of human mistakes- not by getting rid of the mistake but by getting rid of the human. Just like capital punishment. It is the sweeping under the carpet of human failure and mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 11:35 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,222,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Well lets look at the First Amendment here:

The students who are pro-life got to exercise their religious beliefs by planting the crosses. The students who put the condoms on the crosses were expressing their right to free speech.

Looks like both groups got to exercise their rights under the constitution. No property was destroyed and nobody was hurt. I see no reason why for the police to take any action in this situation.
Does the law allow for persecution on the basis of religion?

Old 04-21-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
What does any of this have to do with the idolatry being expressed by those who claim these crosses were 'desecrated'?
Do we worship Jesus or do we worship the cross?
Is the cross representative of Jesus and what was done, or is it representative of something unrelated to Christ?

It's a representation of Jesus. Thus, if any worship is involved, it's to the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords, Jesus Christ. Thus, no idolatry.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:44 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,237,069 times
Quote:
Is the cross representative of Jesus and what was done, or is it representative of something unrelated to Christ?

It's a representation of Jesus. Thus, if any worship is involved, it's to the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords, Jesus Christ. Thus, no idolatry.
Therefore it's a graven image and a proxy for worshipping a god.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Nope. Menorah means nothing to me, either. But I do appreciate that these things do mean something to other people. I am just pointing out that it's no one else's obligation to appreciate or respect your religion even though I do.

I love god. I love my personal relationship with god. I fit the definition of a good christian (in how I live and treat others) more than most christians.
So you have a relationship with God? According to the Word, you can't have a relationship with God without going through His Son, Jesus, as Jesus paid man's way by dying on the cross for the sins of the world by the shedding of His blood.

Quote:
But your icons mean nothing to me. Your arrogance does nothing to engender good feelings.
The cross is a representation of Christ. I am a Christian, and I will gladly state so. I am not ashamed. However, what you perceive as arrogance is nothing more than a person unafraid to state the truth.

Quote:
I appreciate everyone's right to freely worship. Ramming your agenda down people's throats and going on and on about some fictional sacrifice as a justification for bad behavior isn't a particularly convincing argument.
It doesn't sound like you support everyone's right to freely worship, the way you speak negatively of the cross as "icons", calling people who speak out against the descration of the cross as "arrogant". I've found that those who speak in such way in general do not support the right to worship, but only tolerate it if they don't have to see it and if it is confined to a church building.

That you'd call Jesus' sacrifice fictional indicates that you don't know God, for pride or non-belief has likely prevented you from accepting the One and Only who bridges the gateway to God, Jesus Christ. Without coming to Jesus, there is no relationship with God.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
When you throw in multiple bible verses, invoke your faith in Jesus, and encourage others to believe in your Jesus - it's a sermon, not a defense of Christianity.
I can invoke my faith in Jesus any time I want. Are you about saying that I can't be who I am? Are you about denying me my religous rights? That's against the law, for one.

You do realize this thread deals with the cross, a Christian symbol? Christianity is connected with this thread, so I'd say that you're acting in a strange manner by speaking in the ways that you are doing.

Quote:
FWIW, using Christianity to defend Christianity is like defining word in terms of itself, which generally results in a useless definition.
It's called apologetics. Learn the meaning of it.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:50 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,345,344 times
Quote:
So you have a relationship with God? According to the Word, you can't have a relationship with God without going through His Son, Jesus, as Jesus paid man's way by dying on the cross for the sins of the world by the shedding of His blood.

The cross is a representation of Christ. I am a Christian, and I will gladly state so. I am not ashamed. However, what you perceive as arrogance is nothing more than a person unafraid to state the truth.

It doesn't sound like you support everyone's right to freely worship, the way you speak negatively of the cross as "icons", calling people who speak out against the descration of the cross as "arrogant". I've found that those who speak in such way in general do not support the right to worship, but only tolerate it if they don't have to see it and if it is confined to a church building.

That you'd call Jesus' sacrifice fictional indicates that you don't know God, for pride or non-belief has likely prevented you from accepting the One and Only who bridges the gateway to God, Jesus Christ. Without coming to Jesus, there is no relationship with God.
More sermons....

Old 04-21-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Just shows how intolerant some religious folks can be.
What happened to truing the other cheek or forgiving those who trespass against us?
Those verses relate to interpersonal relationships and/or conflicts, not having anything to do with society as a whole or a news event not directly related to the individual.

The Bible has many places where one is to speak up for what is right, to be salf and light. You're not supposed to be, "I know what's going on is wrong, but I'm not going to say anything about it, even though it hurts many people, because I'm going to turn the other cheek".

Quote:
So If I draw a cross on a piece of paper then crumple it up and throw it away, I have desecrated a religious symbol?
Does it belong to someone else? While disrespectful and desecrating a symbol, it isn't anyone else's property, nor would it be done with the intent to cause emotional harm to people of a religious group. However, that doesn't mean that God doesn't notice it. He does.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:58 AM

68,346 posts, read 54,470,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
That's "art" to pro-abortion liberals. That's their mentality. That's what they embrace. And that's the future of this country. It's disgusting.
What's truly disgusting is seemingly adult Americans who are too damn stupid to understand the very simple meaning of C-H-O-I-C-E and insist on using the baseless, asinine term 'pro-abortion'.

Sadly, what they embrace is stupidity.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
This post is a perfect example of knee jerk, born again thinking. To an atheist, both the Mennorah and the Cross are equally meaningless. And, again, try to argue your point without invoking the tenets of your faith, because they are also meaningless to a non-believer.
"Argue your point without invoking the tenents of your faith".

Isn't this a discussion correlated with a religious faith? Yes! Thus, it is impossible to discuss the issue without invoke the tenents of one's faith. You know that, and you're trying to frame the debate, to which one has no defense. That's why you want to pigeon-hole the Christian into an area for which he can't say anything.

Do you really believe that I haven't seen this type of thinking? I have debated and studied the liberal mind, more than enough, to know the relationships that exist.

Since I do go on statistics, perhaps I did misinterpret you to be one of the liberals who are fine with any other religious symbols, but not Christian symbols. I'm going on the law of percentages, so to speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies