Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 09:10 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
We shouldn't release the violent. But, we have a lot of people in prison that should be paying back their debt to society/family of the victim/or the actual victim of their crime. Time spent in prison (for these) serves no justice or purpose. True justice demands restitution and there just isn't much of that going on with our present system.

Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 10:19 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Too many people in prison for drug related crimes.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:37 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,745 times
My problem with the whole prison system is that it continues to punish those after the conviction and sentence. Its like society said "Well thanks for serving x years in prison! As a parting gift we have tattooed a Giant Red "Ex-convict" on your forehead! Good luck being a productive member of society with no means of legal income!"

Old 04-26-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
My problem with the whole prison system is that it continues to punish those after the conviction and sentence. Its like society said "Well thanks for serving x years in prison! As a parting gift we have tattooed a Giant Red "Ex-convict" on your forehead! Good luck being a productive member of society with no means of legal income!"

And so it snowballs. Because they can't find gainful employment due to their felony record, therefore; they end up going back to doing drugs, which potentially leads to selling drugs, robbing, stealing, ect...ect...

Now let's face it, some people especially the violent types belong behind bars! But as hotair said; too many people in jail for drug related crimes. Our time would be better served dealing with violent criminals, and the types who scam people out of their life savings as well. Like I said in a previous post, a felony is like a life sentence. And to add, unless you're an athlete, or a celebrity, (you know the types that so many Americans look up to) you're f***ed!

Old 04-26-2012, 11:10 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
We shouldn't release the violent. But, we have a lot of people in prison that should be paying back their debt to society/family of the victim/or the actual victim of their crime. Time spent in prison (for these) serves no justice or purpose. True justice demands restitution and there just isn't much of that going on with our present system.
I beg to differ. Where I live now most sentences are, in fact, served by restitution. Those that do receive jail time get to serve sentences at night or on weekends. Violent offenders at that. Not rapes or murders of course but other types of violent offenses. Interesting that in five pages no one has noticed that 800lb gorilla of race sitting in the corner. Where I live there are no black people to keep a PIC solvent. So there isn't one. Coincidentally you have very fair sentencing laws passed and vigorous alternatives to incarceration available. Hmmm. This discussion in naive and meaningless unless the fact that a judge faced with sentencing different men of different races for the very same crime and with the very same intrinsics of prior history, weapon used, number of victims, etc. will sentence differently based on race. Black men overwhelmingly get prison sentences and get much longer sentences for the very same offense. Over time you get a skew of pretty unimaginable proportions. Just over 4 percent of the U.S. is made up of black men but they are 35 percent of the prison population. Just over 35 percent of the U.S. is white men and they are 32 percent of the prison population. 10 percent of the U.S. is Hispanic men and they are 17 percent of the prison system. Even those statistics fail to tell the whole story of racial disparity because these numbers are a 2008 snapshot. Most of those 32 percent white men are out of jail by now, new ones have taken their place but the sentences served by white men are on average only 25% as long as those served by black men.

Overall, 0.4 percent of the white population is incarcerated. That has generated a thread about U.S. incarceration? Most of white incarcerated deserve to be. We know that, by the numbers, more whites are involved in drug use, drug manufacture and distribution. We also know that the number of whites incarcerated for drug related offenses is vanishingly small. We know that the majority of people in prison are there for drug related offenses. Period. Why is this? Why does this thread exist? To argue the case of a white guy who was in a car with drugs and got a felony on his record? At least he is free! Had he been black he would still be in prison. Are you guys so out of touch as to not know these things or are you really that bored that you are going to continue adding meaningless trivia to a thread about a serious topic albeit one that is of purely theoretical impact in your lives.

H

Old 04-26-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
And so it snowballs. Because they can't find gainful employment due to their felony record, therefore; they end up going back to doing drugs, which potentially leads to selling drugs, robbing, stealing, ect...ect...

Now let's face it, some people especially the violent types belong behind bars! But as hotair said; too many people in jail for drug related crimes. Our time would be better served dealing with violent criminals, and the types who scam people out of their life savings as well. Like I said in a previous post, a felony is like a life sentence. And to add, unless you're an athlete, or a celebrity, (you know the types that so many Americans look up to) you're f***ed!
I agree. We have a problem with violent criminals getting too short of a sentence because the prisons are overcrowded and and non violent and victimless crimes getting to long a sentence.

If it is a victimless crime, they should not go to prison or even jail for that matter. If you have a pedofile, he should never get out. Our system is messed up when a person can be given the same amount of time for rape as someone who sells drugs to another drug dealer. Instead of giving them both 25 years in prison, give the rapist life and the drug dealer a fine...he can afford it.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:25 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Quote:

Hmmm. I was on the bus the other day and one ex-con was bragging to another saying, "I've got 9 felony convictions, six of them person on person and 3 misdemeanor convictions and I still got a job with the Board of Elections making $14.00/hr. She was white of course. The start of my commute is at the city jail compex. Most of the people I ride with daily are serving sentences at the RC or taking various post sentence follow-ups. All of them work. All of them are white. What few black people there are in this town that f**k up are never seen or heard from again. I hear them, through the open windows. I see their loved ones lining up to visit them. I don't ever see them, pre or post release. Hmmm. And black athletes and celebrities are not immune to incarceration. Martha Stewart's incarceration made most American's jaw drop. It was so unprecedented. A black athlete mouths off in a club and he is off to prison. It is said that a black person with no criminal record is as unemployable as a white person with a criminal history. That is to say, pretty unemployable. Post conviction a black persons employment prospects aren't materially worse than before... ... that may serve as a point of reference if this discussion ever moves to ponder why prison doesn't serve as more of a deterrent for criminal activity.

H

Old 04-26-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I agree. We have a problem with violent criminals getting too short of a sentence because the prisons are overcrowded and and non violent and victimless crimes getting to long a sentence.

If it is a victimless crime, they should not go to prison or even jail for that matter. If you have a pedofile, he should never get out. Our system is messed up when a person can be given the same amount of time for rape as someone who sells drugs to another drug dealer. Instead of giving them both 25 years in prison, give the rapist life and the drug dealer a fine...he can afford it.

Well, I have a solution on how to deal with rapist and pedophiles, but anyway...

Sometimes those incarcerated for drugs whether they're selling, or using end up with longer sentences than the other two types. Where is the logic in that?

Old 04-26-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I beg to differ. Where I live now most sentences are, in fact, served by restitution. Those that do receive jail time get to serve sentences at night or on weekends. Violent offenders at that. Not rapes or murders of course but other types of violent offenses. Interesting that in five pages no one has noticed that 800lb gorilla of race sitting in the corner. Where I live there are no black people to keep a PIC solvent. So there isn't one. Coincidentally you have very fair sentencing laws passed and vigorous alternatives to incarceration available. Hmmm. This discussion in naive and meaningless unless the fact that a judge faced with sentencing different men of different races for the very same crime and with the very same intrinsics of prior history, weapon used, number of victims, etc. will sentence differently based on race. Black men overwhelmingly get prison sentences and get much longer sentences for the very same offense. Over time you get a skew of pretty unimaginable proportions. Just over 4 percent of the U.S. is made up of black men but they are 35 percent of the prison population. Just over 35 percent of the U.S. is white men and they are 32 percent of the prison population. 10 percent of the U.S. is Hispanic men and they are 17 percent of the prison system. Even those statistics fail to tell the whole story of racial disparity because these numbers are a 2008 snapshot. Most of those 32 percent white men are out of jail by now, new ones have taken their place but the sentences served by white men are on average only 25% as long as those served by black men.

Overall, 0.4 percent of the white population is incarcerated. That has generated a thread about U.S. incarceration? Most of white incarcerated deserve to be. We know that, by the numbers, more whites are involved in drug use, drug manufacture and distribution. We also know that the number of whites incarcerated for drug related offenses is vanishingly small. We know that the majority of people in prison are there for drug related offenses. Period. Why is this? Why does this thread exist? To argue the case of a white guy who was in a car with drugs and got a felony on his record? At least he is free! Had he been black he would still be in prison. Are you guys so out of touch as to not know these things or are you really that bored that you are going to continue adding meaningless trivia to a thread about a serious topic albeit one that is of purely theoretical impact in your lives.

H
There is no equality in the justice system but it may have more to do with socioeconomic situations than with race. On average, African Americans in the U.S. earn less than white people; therefore, on average they have less money to pay for a lawyer. You get better justice when you have a better lawyer. I cite the O.J. Simpson case. He did not get found not guilty because of his race. He was found not guilty because of his money.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Well, I have a solution on how to deal with rapist and pedophiles, but anyway...

Sometimes those incarcerated for drugs whether they're selling, or using end up with longer sentences than the other two types. Where is the logic in that?
There is a financial incentive in arresting people for drugs. Police get to confiscate the money and assets and they go to support the police department, cities and State and of course a cut goes to those Police Officers who are corrupt. There is less of a financial incentive for arresting someone for a violent crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies